Grogheads Invades Grenada!

Started by Jarhead0331, July 14, 2019, 05:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I wonder if there's a good ARMA module for the Grenada campaign? Seems like there ought to be!

How did the Navy guys die? ...oh, wait, those must have been the Seals, and they had ranks that kind of obscured what they really did? (Hull maintenance technician, etc.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Interesting AAR.  Seems that much of the VPs were awarded/taken for political considerations.

Jarhead - what were your casualty totals for the scenario?  You gave the historic numbers, but I did not see a comparison.  Did you save a screenshot of the final tallies?  Multiple screenshots of enemy casualties - but none of the victory plusses/minuses or US casualty list.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on July 15, 2019, 09:28:27 AM
Interesting AAR.  Seems that much of the VPs were awarded/taken for political considerations.

Jarhead - what were your casualty totals for the scenario?  You gave the historic numbers, but I did not see a comparison.  Did you save a screenshot of the final tallies?  Multiple screenshots of enemy casualties - but none of the victory plusses/minuses or US casualty list.

I had trouble taking screenshots with open windows for some reason. The last screenshot I took had the scenario results posted, but for some reason it did not appear on the screen shot.

If I recall, most of my losses came from E/2/8 and F/2/8 when they landed at St. George's and in the fighting for Point Salines airport. Collectively, they lost approximately 3-4 assault squads. I also recall losing a squad or two of SEALs when they landed near the AA position at Pearls.  Other than the damaged AC-130, no other heavy equipment was damaged or destroyed. Contrary to the historical outcome, I did not lose any helos. 

FWIW, I believe assigning ahistorical objectives to my teams was a mistake. The Marines should have landed in the north near Pearls and the Rangers from 1/75 and 2/75 with supporting SEALs and Delta should have landed at Salines and St. George's. The Ranger force was superior to the Marines in numbers and since the majority of the key objectives were located in the south, it makes more sense to have partitioned the missions that way. The Marines certainly proved capable of defeating everything that the PRA and Cubans threw at them, but they did not have the numbers to strike both south and north of St. George's in order to simultaneously secure the airport and rescue the medical students and Governor Scoon. I believe the delay here cost Scoon his life and me at least 4 VPs.

Here is that last screenshot. When I took it, the briefing window was displayed...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

Great AAR. I haven't played this scenario for TOAW 4, the game seems to handle larger, slower paced fights better but that depends on the scenario design a lot too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

IICptMillerII

Great write-up! I have TOAW IV but I jsut can't seem to figure out how to play it. That said I haven't truly sat down the the manual and devoted a few hours to learning all of the ins and outs of the game. Any advice on how to get started?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 15, 2019, 03:04:06 PM
Great write-up! I have TOAW IV but I jsut can't seem to figure out how to play it. That said I haven't truly sat down the the manual and devoted a few hours to learning all of the ins and outs of the game. Any advice on how to get started?

Youtube Let's plays are probably the quickest way to get the basics down. Otherwise, I say just jump in and learn as you go...that's how I do it. The UI is a bit unconventional, but it gets more approachable as it becomes more familiar.

...and thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Jarhead0331Youtube Let's plays are probably the quickest way to get the basics down.

Any specific videos you could recommend that helped you out a lot? I would love to get more into this game.

Sir Slash

Most of the videos on YouTube are very old ones but still worth a look. The Tutorial Scenarios are the best place to just jump in try it out but I think the Korean scenario is too big with very limited space to maneuver. I did better with the Kasserine Pass tutorial, fewer units and more space. But almost any of the smaller scenarios are great for learning the game's in's and outs. Stay away from any battles with lots of Naval Units, it can slow the game down a ton.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.