The US Parcel system

Started by Jarhead0331, June 16, 2020, 05:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Is it me, or does it totally suck? I've had some really negative experiences lately. Not sure if it is COVID related, but at this point that seems unlikely.

I have had a couple of international shipments over the last couple weeks and tracking them has been interesting.

One came from Great Britain. It took 6 days total to get to me. In the first 2 days, it move from GB to Germany, then on to France, and finally into the US at Newark, NJ. On the third day it arrived in Jamaica, NY...this is about 50 miles from my house...and there it sat for almost 48 hours, before finally making its way to a distribution facility about 5 miles from my house where it sat for another 24 hours before being loaded onto a truck and delivered the following day. This was Fedex.

The other came from India...again, in the first 2 days it moved fast, getting through a couple points in India, then to Hong Kong and then into the US in Ohio. Again, it sat in Ohio for at least a day and half before surprisingly popping up in Miami. It sat in Miami for almost 2 days before being placed on hold and then appearing back in Ohio! It's still there and doesn't appear to be moving. This is DHL.

I mean, wtf? Things flow really quickly internationally and then once the parcel enters the system in the US, it's like watching a mouse try to make its way through a maze to the cheese. The issues dont appear to be customs related as both times they cleared customs quickly. It really just seems to be inadequate, inefficient or incompetent logistics. Crazy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

I've noticed issues too. My wife has 2 packages that are supposed to final deliver for the past week sitting at our post office.

That said the post office system is in trouble. It is undermanned for what they do and way underfunded. Congress will not let the increase pricing to market value but the are constantly dinged for being over budget and unprofitable.

That all I said I have bigger issues with fedex. Their tracking is garbage as I've had shipments that were "out for delivery" for a week. I've also had their drivers out and out falsify their records saying they delivered something and really didn't.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

In the last month or so I've had packages lost or stolen and never had issues before.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Usually have pretty decent luck with them and I like the new feature (at least to me) where you can actually see what is coming to your mailbox today and being delivered in the future.....helps me not waste a trip to the end of my driveway if nothing good waiting for me:)

With that said, had a recent bad situation although in the end turned out OK.  Had a time sensitive delivery scheduled and initially received my shipping/tracking notice reasonably fine.  But started checking the tracking number and for days just sat there in the initial status. not moving....got me nervous in receiving on time.  Contacted the company many times and they wouldn't help me, basically kept giving the same canned responses.  Just as I was getting ready to cancel the order altogether and try a Plan B, it started moving through the system....oddly, it went to some destination out west (believe California) from Texas and then made it back to Ohio.  Although it did show movement each day, just was very odd on delivery route.  And to top it off, I paid extra for express shipping:)  In the end I did receive in time, but very strange.  I suspect the initial delay was the company I bought from, making a shipping label but not actually handing over to the post office.  But after that, no idea why it went to the west coast before coming back east.......never have seen that kind of path before.

ArizonaTank

I have given up on ordering anything from Amazon that is obviously being shipped from overseas.

Have had several bad experiences with vendors who say they have shipped, but the items have fallen into a black hole. Some of it is probably due to COVID, but some of it is also probably bad faith.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 16, 2020, 08:29:30 AM
I have given up on ordering anything from Amazon that is obviously being shipped from overseas.

Have had several bad experiences with vendors who say they have shipped, but the items have fallen into a black hole. Some of it is probably due to COVID, but some of it is also probably bad faith.

The thing that is surprising me is that the shipping network abroad is putting the shipping network in the states to shame. I mean seriously...my parcel moved through India and China faster than it has moved from Ohio to New York. Pitiful.  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Haven't had any trouble with US post lately.  FedEx is a different matter.  Took them 4 days deliver the Girl Scout cookies I had ordered online.  Four days straight days of "out for delivery".  Was getting close to violence.  Don't mess with my sugar addiction.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

Amazon Prime used to be two days. Now it is 4 to 5.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

My package from India finally made it to New York City...now its sitting there..."on hold" again.   :tickedoff:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: solops on June 16, 2020, 10:32:44 AM
Amazon Prime used to be two days. Now it is 4 to 5.

yes, I know....this morning, I just ordered an in-stock prime item (a book on board game development no less) that won't be delivered until June 22nd, six days from now...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Toonces

^ Interesting.  What book?

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"