1st World Board Gaming Problems...

Started by Bison, July 13, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 13, 2015, 10:39:47 AM
Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 10:35:06 AMI'd considered a large picture frame for this purpose in the past. 

Back-to-college sales are coming up soon.  You can get some 36x48 poster frames CHEAP at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target, and just keep your maps in them.  Like $10 each or less cheap.
I've got 4 of them upstairs in the man cave - 2 Warfighter maps, Orange Crush, and a blank square grid for RPGs.  You can also write on them w/ dry-erase markers and then wipe 'em off within a few hours, no problem.

I like the idea of the blank square grid for RPGs!  You could use the dry-erase makers to set up just about anything.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 04:12:59 PM
I have a man corner of shame to work on now. 

Dood - you're a wargamer. You know what to do.

Panzers nach Osten!

Expand that corner!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Ubercat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 13, 2015, 10:39:47 AM
  You can also write on them w/ dry-erase markers and then wipe 'em off within a few hours, no problem.

Do they stain permanently after a few hours? I had it in mind to eventually play the campaign for ASLSK Decision at Elst by putting the map in a poster frame and marking controlled territory with a dry erase between battles. If it won't come off after days or weeks, that's a problem.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

Overhead projector screen markers should come off with alcohol wipes.

panzerde

Quote from: LongBlade on July 13, 2015, 06:06:36 PM
Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 04:12:59 PM
I have a man corner of shame to work on now. 

Dood - you're a wargamer. You know what to do.

Panzers nach Osten!

Expand that corner!

There is great wisdom in this. Your man corner - it must have Lebensraum!
</cue Peter Sellers as Dr. Strangelove>
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Silent Disapproval Robot

Dude, he's going up against a female.  You know she's going to go straight for the nuclear option should open conflict break out.

panzerde

It's true, particularly since he still has young kids. He will have to be stealthy.

I suggest threatening to set up a workbench and power tools in the garage. Claim you're thinking about getting into woodworking. You feel you may need a lathe.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Quote from: panzerde on July 13, 2015, 09:20:29 PM
It's true, particularly since he still has young kids. He will have to be stealthy.

I suggest threatening to set up a workbench and power tools in the garage. Claim you're thinking about getting into woodworking. You feel you may need a lathe.

Hmmm....I'm intrigued by your plan.  It shall be dubbed Case Workbench and I shall ponder it's implementation as I sleeve The Lord of the Rings card decks this evening.

MetalDog

You've got it REALLY bad if you have enough LotR cards to put in a sleeve.

Bison

The base set comes with 238 or so cards, so I picked up 300 penny sleeves to do the deed.  It's something I've been meaning to do for a few years now.

MetalDog

Do you sleeve all your cards?  And can you shuffle a deck that way?

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2015, 09:59:33 PM

Innuendo sensors detect...

A Trap!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on July 13, 2015, 07:27:39 PMDo they stain permanently after a few hours? I had it in mind to eventually play the campaign for ASLSK Decision at Elst by putting the map in a poster frame and marking controlled territory with a dry erase between battles. If it won't come off after days or weeks, that's a problem.

After a week or so, you need a cleaner to completely clear the plexiglass

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 07:58:27 PMOverhead projector screen markers should come off with alcohol wipes.

Yep - for a longer-term project like Ubes is describing, I would go this route instead.  But I usually have more dry erase markers handy than alcohol pens now that my staff weenie days are almost a decade behind me.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2015, 09:59:33 PM

Generally yes.  In fact I hate playing with a game too much if it has cards that aren't sleeved.  I'd rather spend the few extra dollars to preserve the cards for long term usage without them getting all raggedy.  I actually find it much easier to shuffle a deck of sleeved cards than non-sleeved cards, but I don't do the shuffle where you bend the cards with your thumb to do the corner or edge shuffle.  That's just a party foul.