Announcing the release of Panzer Campaigns - Gold Versions

Started by Strela, December 11, 2017, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strela

Hi All,

We're very pleased to announce the release of the first Gold version of Panzer Campaigns - Smolensk '41 Gold.

The Gold range is a refresh of John Tiller's iconic Panzer Campaigns series and will include all twenty one released titles as well as the Mius '43 demo. Wargame Design Studio has prepared the updates for publishing by John Tiller Software (JTS).

All the Eastern Front titles (eleven in total plus the Demo) have been converted to the new Gold standard and will be available over the next month or so. The Western Front and Mediterranean will not be available till 2018.

The Gold version of Smolensk includes the following updates and upgrades;

The game code will now be standardized on the JTS codebase. There will be no further support for the HPS version
    All new 2D & 3D map graphics
    All new unit graphics and counters on map
    All new unit cards
    All new in game sounds; weapon, explosion, background and miscellaneous
    All the expansion pack scenarios previously released for Smolensk '41
    All released Volcano Man scenarios
    A single balanced play by email scenario from the Blitz.
    A brand-new master Map – this impacts all scenarios and there is a lot more detail on the recrafted Smolensk map.
    New 'modern' toolbar icons
    Code update – disruption no longer halves movement during the day and is reduced by one third at night.
    Code update – reinforcement 'place all' has been migrated across from the First World War Campaign series.[/li]

For existing owners of the JTS version, there is a free patch available at the JTS website under Updates.
For existing owners of the HPS version, please contact JTS Support so you can receive a free key and a link for the full JTS version.

All new purchases of Smolensk '41 will now be the Gold version.

We're excited to finally get these updates out the door and bring these deep games to a new generation of players.

For further info and screenshots beyond those shown below, please visit;

http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/2017/12/10/panzer-campaigns-smolensk-41-gold-released/

The following screen shots are from the John Tiller Software, Smolensk '41 Gold product page;

Thank you,

David

Geezer

One of my all time favorite Tiller games.  Still on my hard drive.  Glad to see these games are all getting some love.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Al

Just wanted to say that I sent JTS Support e-mail asking for the key to Smolensk '41 Gold.  They not only sent the key for Smolensk but the keys for my other HPS Panzer Campaign titles to be used when those titles are upgraded to Gold.   :notworthy:
Al

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Geezer

Got my key for Smolensk Gold as well since I bought the original.  I was an alpha and beta tester for John for years after Smolensk and got most of his games for free, so when the rest of the games go Gold I'll probably be buying them rather than asking for another free copy.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Strela

Quote from: Geezer on December 12, 2017, 08:09:59 PM
Got my key for Smolensk Gold as well since I bought the original.  I was an alpha and beta tester for John for years after Smolensk and got most of his games for free, so when the rest of the games go Gold I'll probably be buying them rather than asking for another free copy.

Geezer,

Thank you for all your efforts in the past - these are certainly very solid games - thanks to all that contributed.

It was their robustness, that motivated us to upgrade them to a level that would make them a little more attractive to a wider community. The average person rarely is aware of the mods that are turned out and end up having a sub-par experience.

Fortunately John Tiller allowed Ed Williams and Jison to craft a superlative series with the First World War Campaign releases and we're trying to follow their lead and improve Panzer Campaigns. You're now starting to see the first fruits of that.

Finally, there will be a very short wait for the other Eastern Front titles. All are finished and all usually have additional enhancements beyond just graphics and sound.

David

PS As the Gold versions are released, would people like us to post in this one thread or start a separate one for each title?

Geezer

Thanks Strela.  I'd just put them all here and maybe change the title to reflect the ongoing releases if possible.  That way they all can be seen and stay near the top of the forum in one thread.  But I'm not in charge here so take that with a grain of salt.

Strela

Hi All,

Like a Soviet juggernaut, the releases continue.

For anyone on the fence re, the Gold releases, we have updated the free Mius '43 Demo to the new Gold standard.

You can get it here;
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/

Or if having connectivity issues, here;
http://jtsmirror.com/

Just go to the Demo's page and get the download.

David

Cyrano

Just so great.

Reflect:  This game was released nearly two decades ago.  It is still supported -- well supported -- the company releasing it is giving a significant upgrade to its users for free, and, as far as I can tell, it remains the normative PC simulation of the campaign.

I won't say there's nothing, but there's certainly very little like this in gaming.

And it makes me very happy that these games have found their way into good hands, keeping them alive through upcoming iterations of Windows.

P.S.:  Where has the next WWI game gotten off to?  My enthusiasm to play the Somme has not waned.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Strela

Cyrano,

I know Ed and team are hard at work on the next First World War Campaigns title.

My understanding is that it might be a tad earlier than the Somme though.....

David

Zulu1966

I dont really get this ...

Code update – disruption no longer halves movement during the day and is reduced by one third at night.

you are reducing penalty for being disrupted - is that right ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Strela

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 16, 2017, 05:52:05 AM

Yes - we are, but only for movement.

This was first changed in the First World War Campaign series.

The rationale is that disruption is really an organisational impact meaning that combat efficiency is reduced. That means combat calculations and morale levels are reduced. It's a little harder to justify the movement penalty. Units that are disrupted or broken would tend to move with all speed towards the rear if given the chance. If anything they would move back at least as fast if not quicker than a good order unit. So we have decided to adjust as indicated the movement impacts.

This will have a number of impacts on play, but experience to date is positive and it means the defender in particular has a few more options.

Hope that helps,

David

Zulu1966

Quote from: Strela on December 16, 2017, 07:44:35 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 16, 2017, 05:52:05 AM

Yes - we are, but only for movement.

This was first changed in the First World War Campaign series.

The rationale is that disruption is really an organisational impact meaning that combat efficiency is reduced. That means combat calculations and morale levels are reduced. It's a little harder to justify the movement penalty. Units that are disrupted or broken would tend to move with all speed towards the rear if given the chance. If anything they would move back at least as fast if not quicker than a good order unit. So we have decided to adjust as indicated the movement impacts.

This will have a number of impacts on play, but experience to date is positive and it means the defender in particular has a few more options.

Hope that helps,

David

OK - not sure I agree with that - it is not just about how fast they move but how they move to a certain place as a coherent unit. Which I would have thought was a direct impact of being disrupted. I always presumed cohesion was what was being simulated here not how fast can someone run away. Guess will see how it plays out. I have always thought artillery is woefully underpowered in this series but one effect if did have was to disrupt units and affect their movement.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Compass Rose

JTS and WDS just released Stalingrad '42 Gold

You can get more info about the game here:

http://johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Stalingrad42.html

Or if having connectivity issues, here;

http://jtsmirror.com/