Announcing the release of Panzer Campaigns - Gold Versions

Started by Strela, December 11, 2017, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

JH, just depends on the max unit count your willing to play with. My rule of thumb is to say about half the scenarios listed on the game page will be larger size scenarios. it's a general rule that works for me, some games will have a little more, some less. If your going East i'd be more concerned with getting a game with a lot of scenarios starting with static fronts, they can get to be a slog. The two east front games i have, i enjoy, Kharkov 42 and Moscow 42. Kharkov actually has quite a few manageable scenarios, and Moscow 42 has a mass amount of content with some interesting scenarios i just had to have. I recently bought quite a few Tiller games when i got a gift card for the holidays, 20% off when you buy 5 titles. I've just started playing Gettysburg, single and pbem, and having a lot of fun with that title.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2020, 07:40:24 PM
I'm such an asshole... <:-)

Stalingrad '42
Market-Garden '44
Smolensk '41
Normandy '44
Kursk '43
France '40

Wonder how long I can hold out for the Moscow and Kharkov titles... :buck2:

...berto, I have Kursk - Southern Front. It's part of the Panzer Battles series.

hahaha..........that very decisive, don't forget the Civil War games, the new hand painted maps are awesome. Smolensk 41 & France 40 are next on my list. I also have the strategic games, there's a map mod for TFB, and i thought i heard they were updating those also, eventually.

-budd-

i take it you didn't know about the discount.......sorry i was late :(

Jarhead0331

Quote from: -budd- on April 26, 2020, 07:49:27 PM
i take it you didn't know about the discount.......sorry i was late :(

Yes, I did. Saved $47!

I have Gettysburg. Went ahead and installed it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

-budd-

You got the new updated Gettysburg? The hand painted maps are a totally separate download, to big to include with setup file. Look on the update page for the maps download.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ComradeP

FYI, there can be a big difference between the so called "alt" version of scenarios and stock scenarios.

The alt scenarios use unit stats compiled by Volcano Man (Ed Williams) based on the McNamara system and additional historical research. Stock unit values tend to have less of a gap between German capabilities and the capabilities of everybody else. The difference between, say, a Panzergrenadier Division and a Soviet Rifle Division is far more pronounced with McNamara-based stats.

For older titles, everything released before 2010 or so, the difference is greater than for newer titles. In some cases, alt scenarios only include different unit placement, objectives and graphics if the stock scenarios of the game already use McNamara-based values.

When you're playing Panzer Battles, you're essentially playing with McNamara-based stats at all times.

Personally, I prefer to play alt/McNamara versions and/or the updated versions of scenarios when they're available.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

-budd-

Found some map mods for Tillers Strategic games. Here screenshots from" The First Blitzkrieg "

Original map graphics
]

Map mod 1

Map mod 2

map mod 2 is available in this thread.    http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=73191   

Can't find where on the Blitz forums i got  map mod 1, but have the files if someone wants it.

Jarhead0331

The series desperately needs the "Gold" treatment. Wonder why Volcano Man never put anything together?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Strela

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 03, 2020, 08:57:27 PM
The series desperately needs the "Gold" treatment. Wonder why Volcano Man never put anything together?

Hi Jarhead0331,

Yes its been talked about and we have done some test builds etc. It just needs time, something that has been lacking between new titles and upgrading other series to Gold.

Just to whet your appetite here are a few test screen shots. All were taken on a (very) widescreen monitor, but you will get the general idea. They are taken at different zoom levels as well. These are test graphics and are expected to change before release.

David

Jarhead0331

Nice! Thanks for the exciting news, Strela. Instant buy!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

The_Admiral

Jarhead0331

Any update on when the First Blitzkrieg might be getting the gold treatment? Would love to buy it at the sale price... :smitten:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Strela

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 30, 2020, 08:36:43 PM
Any update on when the First Blitzkrieg might be getting the gold treatment? Would love to buy it at the sale price... :smitten:

It's in the queue, but it's one of the many titles that are waiting to be updated. We're trying to balance work on new titles while doing these updates.

To complicate matters further, with the improving 'look' of the upgraded titles, were getting more requests from modders for various items as they build out additional content. (That's a good problem!).

So it's all a balancing act. Let me go back and see what needs to be done to get the Strategic War series updated....

David