Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

A gentleman by the name of CCIP-subsim released a Chechnya conflict mod today for AB, with maps, unit database, and a 10 scenario pack. Two of the scenarios are huge. You can play the scenarios, or generate a battle or campaign with his maps and database or use the stock database to do the same. This looks like a massive amount of work, the maps are awesome.

The more i play this game the more i like it. The developer commented that there working on adding more units allowed per cell, currently only one unit per cell is allowed. Developers commented there working with 3 units per cell at this time and may test it out in a beta release.

Link to the Mod
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4659800&mpage=1&key=
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Yskonyn

Oh spicey! I will definately check this out!
I haven't played too much of the game yet. Have the pathing issues been fixed by now?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Nice! Thanks for the heads up, budd.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Quote from: -budd- on August 03, 2019, 10:28:57 AM
A gentleman by the name of CCIP-subsim released a Chechnya conflict mod today for AB, with maps, unit database, and a 10 scenario pack. Two of the scenarios are huge. You can play the scenarios, or generate a battle or campaign with his maps and database or use the stock database to do the same. This looks like a massive amount of work, the maps are awesome.

The more i play this game the more i like it. The developer commented that there working on adding more units allowed per cell, currently only one unit per cell is allowed. Developers commented there working with 3 units per cell at this time and may test it out in a beta release.

Link to the Mod

Thanks budd...I just got into this game again yesterday after watching some of the dastactic videos on youtube. I'm finally understanding the subtleties of this really well done game. I'm hooked.

-budd-

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 03, 2019, 10:48:14 AM
Oh spicey! I will definately check this out!
I haven't played too much of the game yet. Have the pathing issues been fixed by now?

I don't really have much of a problem with the pathing anymore, and i'm not sure it was ever broken, so to speak. Do units sometimes get hung up, yes, but as i've learned how the game plays it just isn't an issue much for me. For lack of a better word, proper waypoint, formation and spacing orders mitigate a lot of this for me.From what i can see the AI does a credible job with the pathing. I use a lot of disable waypoints, which is a great feature as you pay the command delay up front. the game really does reward good planning and planning ahead. I was all in the camp of more units per cell, but not so sure anymore, as i'm concerned with how it will effect the pathing. I will like the fact that the infantry can unload in the same cell, which hopefully will be allowed. The Dev is working with 3 units per cell at the moment, so we'll see.

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on August 03, 2019, 11:37:02 AM
Quote from: -budd- on August 03, 2019, 10:28:57 AM

Link to the Mod

Thanks budd...I just got into this game again yesterday after watching some of the dastactic videos on youtube. I'm finally understanding the subtleties of this really well done game. I'm hooked.

I'm hooked also. If the modding takes off, that would be fantastic. I seem to remember the Dev mentioning taking the game to the middle east in the near future and some more DLC. There's a lot of bang for your buck with this game. With the Chechnya mod scenarios and the stock ones and a couple of other modders scenarios, i think that is over 30+ scenarios. Plus the mission generator, campaign generator, 3 different databases, and i think around 10 good sized maps to pick battles on. The game is well supported also.

I'm still experimenting with the mission generator parameters to get the best game from the AI. Haven't tried the campaign generator much yet. As with any game it takes some play to figure out "best practices" to get the most out of the game and getting it functioning as you expect it to.

al_infierno

Been keeping a close eye on the Grozny mod, glad that it appears to be playable now.  Can't wait to give this a spin.  This game rules and I can't wait to see the inevitable WW2 mods...

The campaign generator seemed alright, but the scenario generator seems to be where the game really shines.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Con

Is there a site or videos you would recommend to help learn the nuances of this game?

Con

al_infierno

^ Not a particular video in mind, but XTRG did a bunch of videos on this game around when it came out (and its DLC when that came out):

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xtrg+armored+brigade

His videos are high-quality and easily watchable, and he does a good job explaining what he's doing.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Rayfer

Quote from: Con on August 05, 2019, 02:31:35 PM
Is there a site or videos you would recommend to help learn the nuances of this game?

Con

I found these dastactic youtube videos very helpful in understanding the nuts and bolts of this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL25wTQTMGI&t=185s

al_infierno

^ I didn't realize DasTactic had AB videos.  Looks like I've got some homework to do  :coolsmiley:

- MengJiao

Gusington

Anyone play that Chechen War mod?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I haven't played the canned scenarios, but I've played a handful of custom generated scenarios on the Grozny/Kalinovskaya maps with both regular OOB and the Chechen War OOB.

I think he did an awesome job, the Grozny map is pretty dense and very challenging tactically, but it helps that it includes some of the fields/hills/suburbs around the city so you can split off the map into nice little portions that include both dense city and some open ground/trees/hills.  But if you really want to get into the meatgrinder, the maps are just the right size that you can max out the sector size and create a scenario using the whole map. 

The attention to detail on the Grozny map is mind boggling, with everything from landmarks to individual streets named.  CTRL+L (enable/disable location names) is your best friend on this map as it's pretty much unusable from a mid-high zoom level with the location names enabled.

- MengJiao

Gusington

Thanks Al. What year does the scenario portray? 1994? Later?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

^ Custom missions/campaigns let you pick 1994 - 2000, but the canned missions are set around Dec. 94 / Jan. 95.  I don't think there's any difference between the 1994 and 2000 OOBs (not for Russia anyways which is who I've been playing as).

The dev mentioned on the matrix forum that he's got a map of the whole country made, but not mapped out/labelled in detail, but he said to expect that sometime in the future as well  \m/  My hope is that means more detailed later-year scenarios and OOBs.

- MengJiao