Main Menu

Sawed off FRIDAY

Started by MetalDog, December 14, 2018, 06:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Quote from: W8taminute on December 14, 2018, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: -budd- on December 14, 2018, 07:10:54 PM
PBEM games on hold as my pbem partner is out of town.
Will be playing some Armored Brigade, new map and database released from some modders.
SC:WAW, playing the release version, see how the 14 day turns and map work for me.
Picked up Wars of Napoleon, so going to give AGEOD engine another try.
Probably some 7 Days to Die also, still exploring A17

Let me know if you have any questions or need any pointers.  I love the AGEOD engine despite it's age and have many hours of experience under my belt.
Roger that, thank you. Game looks great, i've opened it and looked around but haven't played yet. Going to start reading Thunder on the Danube series or maybe start the Ulm Campaign by Maude to get into the mood, also i know squat about the Napoleonic Wars/Warfare so the reading should help with some context.

I do have one question: Tried starting a PBEM of BOA2 and after running the first turn i send  the .TRN file back and the game doesn't show up in my opponents load screen? I could run the first turn OK after receiving his .ord file but the .trn file i send back it just doesn't show for him to load. When he gets back in town we'll try again.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Pete Dero

Elite Dangerous or X4 Foundations

Destraex

* Stellaris
* Steel Division
* Star Citizen

Perhaps Subnautica

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hofstadter on December 14, 2018, 06:31:33 PM
Exhausted hof. Three interviews this week. If I'm not sleeping im playing Squad and day z.

Exhausted from the interviews? What is going to happen if you get the job? LoL  :crazy2:

Good luck.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Quote from: -budd- on December 14, 2018, 07:28:07 PM
...I do have one question: Tried starting a PBEM of BOA2 and after running the first turn i send  the .TRN file back and the game doesn't show up in my opponents load screen? I could run the first turn OK after receiving his .ord file but the .trn file i send back it just doesn't show for him to load. When he gets back in town we'll try again.

Sounds like you're doing everything correctly.  But maybe you're missing all the .ord files.  I'm assuming you're the host of the game so you will need his .ord file when he plays his turn in addition to your own .ord file in the BOA2 save game directory in order to process the next turn.  Then you send your friend the new .trn file.  If you don't run the next turn with both your .ord file and his then he won't see the game in his load screen. 

Also don't rename the .ord file to anything other than what the game calls it or the next turn won't be recognized by the game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

Quote from: W8taminute on December 15, 2018, 09:50:18 AM
Quote from: -budd- on December 14, 2018, 07:28:07 PM
...I do have one question: Tried starting a PBEM of BOA2 and after running the first turn i send  the .TRN file back and the game doesn't show up in my opponents load screen? I could run the first turn OK after receiving his .ord file but the .trn file i send back it just doesn't show for him to load. When he gets back in town we'll try again.

Sounds like you're doing everything correctly.  But maybe you're missing all the .ord files.  I'm assuming you're the host of the game so you will need his .ord file when he plays his turn in addition to your own .ord file in the BOA2 save game directory in order to process the next turn.  Then you send your friend the new .trn file.  If you don't run the next turn with both your .ord file and his then he won't see the game in his load screen. 

Also don't rename the .ord file to anything other than what the game calls it or the next turn won't be recognized by the game.

Thought i did everything right, will play closer attention when we restart when he gets back in town.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

CJReich46

Off this weekend.

- Stellaris/Endless Space 2 or even Distant Worlds.

But interestingly I grabbed the demo for Book of Demons. It's a really interesting deck building/Diablo-esque game.  It has a neat feature where you can customize the length of the dungeon you wish to play. So if you want to play a 15 or 30 or 55 minute long session you can. Each one gets you closer to unlocking more stuff.  Most of the monsters I've encountered are either Skeleton (different types ranging from archers to casters) Zombies, Specters and Ghosts, and Spiders (Arachna)

I completed the demo and because I have Darkest Dungeon I have a 66% coupon, so my total came to...7.14!  So yeah I grabbed the full version. It's got humor, a very nice art style and tutorial is not annoying it is very informative.

I'd give the demo a shot.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Philippe

Have been playing Where The Water Tastes Like Wine and enjoying it.

It's not a wargame, but how could I resist a game about story-telling and myth-making?  And the music is great, even though it's not the kind of thing I would normally listen to.

You can check it out on Steam, and if you look in the updates section you'll see a link to a free demo/expansion that I haven't played yet but that will give a bit of the flavor of the game.

The game itself is apparently a commercial disaster, a shame for several reasons.

Unusual games that don't follow the cookie-cutter deserve to be rewarded, though this is probably a case of the pioneers taking all the arrows.

There are a few glitches and minor bugs that would have gotten ironed out if the game had garnered a lot of attention, but I doubt that this will happen at this point.

(The developer said something about selling fewer copies than he had followers on Twitter, which is kind of sad).

The link to the game's store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/447120/Where_the_Water_Tastes_Like_Wine/

and the demo/expansion:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/947120/Where_The_Water_Tastes_Like_Wine_Fireside_Chats/

And ues, I picked it up when it was on sale.  You can probably find it at Humble, Fanatical, or Greenmangaming, or wait for the mythical Steam Christmas sale.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

JasonPratt

I've had my eye on Water/Wine for a while. It's on the daily sale at GoG right now for $10, where I picked it up. I can't tell if it has the "Fireside Chats" expansion.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!