What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

What are you playing these days?

I've had a lot of Tank on Tank from Lock'n'Load Publishing - a fast and fun rocking' great wargame.

Also played a few games of Manouevre.  It's not historical, but it's darn entertaining.

And finally, I've been wanting to get any of the Battles Magazines games on the table for a while now.  Hoping that once I'm in my new house, I can get the game table up in the mancave and get some gaming going on.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I've got a bunch of minis on the forge ready for painting.

Dystopian Wars and Flames of War.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on January 27, 2012, 10:02:10 PM

do you mix & match the two?  b/c that would be a hell of a game!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

bayonetbrant

photos!  or it's all in your head

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 28, 2012, 10:06:13 PM

Yeah, working on it.

LongBlade

Quote from: LongBlade on January 28, 2012, 10:25:23 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 28, 2012, 10:06:13 PM

Yeah, working on it.

<=====

Mind you, the guy on the left is a product of the forge. ;)

Steelgrave

I find myself surfing the net for old Avalon Hill games. Haven't pulled the trigger yet and I haven't played one in 25 years, but nostalgia is a bitch!

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 28, 2012, 10:41:47 PM
I find myself surfing the net for old Avalon Hill games. Haven't pulled the trigger yet and I haven't played one in 25 years, but nostalgia is a bitch!

Minis are my new love. When I can successfully pull off a decent looking one it's immensely satisfying. And they look good on a shelf even when you're not playing. The trick is to find something that's worth looking at over and over. I can't have too many Tigers or Panzers. Steampunk is always cool, and then there's some Games Workshop stuff. It's outrageously expensive but the scuplts are amazing.

son_of_montfort

Look into the reprint of Nexus Ops. It is a "light and fluffy" AH game, but one the wife might play and certainly something you can get 12+ year olds to play.

I'm hoping to have it on the table soon. We are also really enjoying Risk Legacy, which takes the normal Risk format, but has you permanently alter the board when you win or lose the game. It is really really awesome, one of the most innovative games I have seen in a long time!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 28, 2012, 11:35:37 PM

Look into the reprint of Nexus Ops. It is a "light and fluffy" AH game, but one the wife might play and certainly something you can get 12+ year olds to play.

yes, but it's not a real AH game - it's from the post-Hasbro assimilation when they were just whoring out the AH name to try sell non-wargames through wargame channels.

Doesn't mean it's not a good game.  But it's not from the ASL / PB / 3R world of bookcase games.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2012, 07:52:19 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 28, 2012, 11:35:37 PM

yes, but it's not a real AH game - it's from the post-Hasbro assimilation when they were just whoring out the AH name to try sell non-wargames through wargame channels.

Doesn't mean it's not a good game.  But it's not from the ASL / PB / 3R world of bookcase games.

Bah! Avalon Hill elitism doesn't interest me in the slightest.  ;D IMHO, the games produced during the post-Hasbro assimilation were some of the finest casual-play boardgames that helped people get into the war gaming scene. I know that was my entry point, at any rate. Well... and then there was AH-Hasbro's Diplomacy... but my friends and I still don't talk about those days...

Speaking of, Steelgrave, I have a couple of the bookshelf box AH games, one on the Civil War and one of Napoleon in Italy. I've tried to sell them, but to no avail. I can dig them up, if you are interested, and maybe send them your way?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Does Backgammon count?  I've go some serious backgammon matches coming up.

TheCommandTent

I've got several Dark Age minis and terrain pieces in various stages of completion on my table.  More importantly I have terrain laid out on my gaming table ready to fight the second skirmish in my solo campaign.  You can see a sneak peak of the table set up here on my blog.

http://thecommandtent.blogspot.com/2012/01/game-table-setup-sneak-peak.html
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: SCDJ on January 30, 2012, 09:25:06 PM
I've got several Dark Age minis and terrain pieces in various stages of completion on my table.  More importantly I have terrain laid out on my gaming table ready to fight the second skirmish in my solo campaign.  You can see a sneak peak of the table set up here on my blog.

http://thecommandtent.blogspot.com/2012/01/game-table-setup-sneak-peak.html

I don't know what Dark Age is, but that setup looks amazing!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert