Any web designers here?

Started by acctingman, November 14, 2016, 01:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

For any of you Web designers/Graphic designers here....

Any recommendations to some one who has ZERO experience and ZERO educational knowledge in the field how to start out?

I'll go to the library to see if I can find a book or possibly a book store (or online) and get a Dummies Guide, but with someone well into their 40's just looking at this field. Any tips or suggestions?

I'm not really looking at this as a career change, but something I can learn (either on my own...and if I love it, then I'll go the degree/certification route) down the road. I want to have a set of skills that would allow for some flexibility. Maybe it could lead to a career change, but having options the older I get is very very appealing.

I like art and the technical side of web design (and I find myself wanting to create something instead of looking at spreadsheets/databases on a daily basis)

Thanks

Ubercat

I have an Associates degree in Web Design/Development and never even worked in the field. For making your own site, it's hard to go wrong with WordPress. If you want to get more serious than that, XML is good to know as well as scripting languages like ASP and PHP. I couldn't even tell you which is best at this point! I graduated in spring of '12 and that's how dated my knowledge is.

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mirth

Quote from: Ubercat on November 15, 2016, 08:25:06 PM
I have an Associates degree in Web Design/Development and never even worked in the field. For making your own site, it's hard to go wrong with WordPress.

This.

I've been doing web development professionally for 10 years. For smaller, independent sites, Wordpress is the way to go.  Hell, for most websites in general Wordpress is the way to go.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I have worked in and out of the web design realm for about 10 years too. If you're interested it may not hurt to take a course in Content Management Systems and maybe learn Drupal, Joomla, Sharepoint, etc. I may be dating myself with Joomla and Drupal but Sharepoint is definitely a viable CMS to learn and pretty easy to use too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman