Weapon to Kill Lots of Hogs

Started by airboy, July 07, 2013, 10:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We have a wild pig infestation at the hunting lease.  The are considered a nuisance under game laws and can be shot with no limits and you can also use bait since it is not deer season.

I don't think I have the right gun for the job.  I could either use my Super Black Eagle 2 with buckshot or my 1903A3 .306 rifle.  Both have problems for this use.  The shotgun only holds three rounds and has a short range.  The 1903A3 is a bolt action and holds only a few rounds.

I'm considering borrowing a AR-15 variant chambered in .308 or similar round that holds at least 15 rounds.

Do any of you have any suggestions?  I'm in Alabama so the laws on long guns are not terribly restrictive.   

bayonetbrant

Call Jarhead and the boys in for a Grogheads Range Day?  Have him bring down 10-15 various rifles and have the local BBQ boys ready for the 'clean up'  :)

Seriously, though - my uncle used to use a stock AR15 for the occasional wild hogs that would wander into my Grandmother's yard.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

eyebiter

Since wild pigs aren't protected, you could just set up a pen and baited feeding station. Install a door once the wild hogs get in, doesn't let them escape.

Toonces

Dude, use the bolt action.  One shot- one kill and all that.

C'mon, you can't go hunting pigs with a machine gun, can you?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

Call me crazy, but that seems unsporting in some way...  ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

But probably a lot of fun, except for the pigs of course.

MikeGER

i opt for a Mossberg 500 ATP 6S  (its the model with the slug barrel) :)   

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Toonces on July 07, 2013, 03:42:47 PM

youve never had a 500 lb hog charging at you.

it only happened to me once and I never went back to that bar.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on July 07, 2013, 03:42:47 PM

Sporting would be hunting them with a spear.

Maybe a bow.

At worst, black powder, single shot rifle.

However, my recommendation would be to go with the AR-15 in .308. Probably overkill, but you'll enjoy lots of bacon!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Make it a fun challenge.  I say use a KSG shotgun with slugs.  (mine's been on back-order for 8 god damned months and still shows no signs of arriving anytime soon.  :'()

MIGMaster

What kind of choke does that puppy have ?

Oh.... and check this out !

http://www.tacticalhogcontrol.com/

undercovergeek

I would have thought the entire forum armed with a fork each, ketchup and bread and butter while gus mans the bbq would be suffice

GDS_Starfury

Uou expect a fellow Jew to grill hog?  :o

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on July 10, 2013, 06:44:56 AM
What kind of choke does that puppy have ?

Oh.... and check this out !

http://www.tacticalhogcontrol.com/

You'll note they use .223, though they go up to .308.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.