Main Menu

Wastelands 3

Started by Jarhead0331, September 01, 2020, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Interesting. For me, humor is an instant turnoff. I don't like funny in my post-apocalyptic gaming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Depends on the game, movie or book for me. In the Terminator movies and even in the recent game, there was not much humor and for me that was fine...basically just a dash of dark humor. The recent Fallout games (after Fallout 4) strike me as being too 'cutesy.' And then occasionally the Metro games are a little too serious.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Yeah, Wasteland has less humor and is less tongue in cheek than Fallout.

It does have its funny moments.  The first part of 3 is pretty serious.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

FarAway Sooner

I started playing Wastelands 2 (after never having played the original).  While I was very drawn into it, and enjoying most aspects of the game, I got off the story rails early on (your given a choice of 2 introductory  missions and I picked the wrong one), which meant I spent the next 20 hours of game play meandering from side quest to side quest.

I struggle with the RPG genre these days, because of the whole "story on rails" phenomenon.  I found the script writing for Wasteland 2 to be rich and immersive.  The stories just didn't stick together for me.

Rayfer

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 06, 2020, 06:32:04 PM
I started playing Wastelands 2 (after never having played the original).  While I was very drawn into it, and enjoying most aspects of the game, I got off the story rails early on (your given a choice of 2 introductory  missions and I picked the wrong one), which meant I spent the next 20 hours of game play meandering from side quest to side quest.

I struggle with the RPG genre these days, because of the whole "story on rails" phenomenon.  I found the script writing for Wasteland 2 to be rich and immersive.  The stories just didn't stick together for me.

Curious...which of the two did you pick?  The one the led to the facility with the overgrown insects and plants, or the other?

airboy

All of the discussion about Wastelands 3 got me inspired to reload and play Fallout: New Vegas again.

I might buy Wasteland 3 when I get my new rig.

Yskonyn

Did Wasteland exist before Fallout ?

Just learned both are the brainchild of Brian Fargo. Interesting. Never knew.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Wasteland's rules were based on an old pen-and-paper RPG called Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes.

Rayfer

Quote from: airboy on September 06, 2020, 09:25:55 PM
All of the discussion about Wastelands 3 got me inspired to reload and play Fallout: New Vegas again.

I might buy Wasteland 3 when I get my new rig.

Fallout: New Vegas was one of those rare RPG's I actually finished entirely without getting sidetracked into the next new sale item.  Great game all around.

airboy

How is wasteland 3 holding up over several weeks of play?

I'm considering this as the game I use on the new rig when I buy it.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on September 15, 2020, 02:37:50 PM
How is wasteland 3 holding up over several weeks of play?

I'm considering this as the game I use on the new rig when I buy it.

I'm enjoying it a great deal.  It's buggy though.  One I just found that really got under my skin...be careful swapping out party members if they have NPC ally followers like animals or clones.  They'll be permanently deleted.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback