Main Menu

Hell Let Loose

Started by jomni, April 24, 2018, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 20, 2020, 07:09:28 PM
Quote from: Bardolph on March 20, 2020, 05:39:44 PM
Forgot to mention that if you get hit with the vox bug just leave your squad and jump back in, seems to fix it..

Good to know!

And mysterious.  The current blurb from the developers says they are going to build the Rat, which is a German APC carrying a battlecruiser turrent with
4 280mm guns off the Gneiseinau.  it is 11 meters tall and 39 meters long. It can carry 40 men and also has 4 AA guns AND it has the advantage that it can hide on one map and wipe out all allied teams on all six other maps.

HLL has been pretty funny lately and this is nicely surreal.  Last night one US guy was going on about how he still had some stress syndrome from his time in Belleau Wood.  Also a bit surreal. 

Sir Slash

The Rat would give me stress.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on April 01, 2020, 12:55:51 PM
Forgot to mention that if you get hit with the vox bug just leave your squad and jump back in, seems to fix it..

Good to know!

And mysterious.  The current blurb from the developers says they are going to build the Rat, which is a German APC carrying a battlecruiser turrent with
4 280mm guns off the Gneiseinau.  it is 11 meters tall and 39 meters long. It can carry 40 men and also has 4 AA guns AND it has the advantage that it can hide on one map and wipe out all allied teams on all six other maps.

HLL has been pretty funny lately and this is nicely surreal.  Last night one US guy was going on about how he still had some stress syndrome from his time in Belleau Wood.  Also a bit surreal.

I'm assuming this is an April Fool's joke.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2020, 01:57:32 PM

Good to know!

Hope so.

Pete Dero

Quote from: MengJiao on April 01, 2020, 02:39:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2020, 01:57:32 PM

Good to know!

Hope so.

The genius with this ship is that it sinks itself when you shoot the guns through the recoil   :crazy2:  .

MengJiao

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 02, 2020, 02:56:30 AM

The genius with this ship is that it sinks itself when you shoot the guns through the recoil   :crazy2:  .

And yet the images on the update make it look workable and strangely convincing.  Maybe I spend too much time looking at developer's updates.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 02, 2020, 06:28:05 AM

Maybe I spend too much time looking at developer's updates.

A ditch with 3-4 dead Germans in it.  US tanks were extra-ordinarily effective in this battle and they were the basic 75mm Shermans.  I got wounded by fire from a PZKW II but survived and there was some kind of melee around a Tiger in which US Tank fire destroyed the Tiger and a mix of infantry of both sides:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 06, 2020, 04:39:12 PM

Maybe I spend too much time looking at developer's updates.

I led very green squad last night on the Easy Company Server.  I think the whole US team was overall pretty inexperienced.   I have some experience, but I'm remarkably bad at FPS in general as a rule and its kind of interesting when I have to stop and explain things to everybody up and down the chain of command.  So the Germans beat us pretty quickly (our Commander read off the names of the fearsomely experienced Germans we were facing.
  It was all news to me and they were definitely good players.  You can tell a good German team when their tanks stay close to their infantry.  Our tanks were -- as usual -- very good, but they were not enough to save us.  On the other hand, a lot of people talked a lot and we stayed coherent with 50 players clear to the bitter end.  There was one experinced guy on my squad and he was pretty supportive so that was good and I gave him a commendation at the end of the battle.  On the very slight downside, inexperienced teams tend to have more accidental team-killing and I went down twice to my own fire and teamkilled a guy who ran infront of me while I was shooting a german at pointblank range.  I'm not sure how he fitted in, but I got the notice that I'd killed my own guy.  A little later, somebody shot me and I had four or five people saying they were sorry and how did the medic thing work.  I got patched up and got up in time to tell my squad to stop bunching up so much.  In sum -- we lost but it was pretty fun.

Bardolph

I've had more than a few rounds where a good squad made up for getting rolled pretty hard by the other side. Even though we lost, we played well together, even if the rest of our side was wandering around the map like lost sheep and losing objectives one after another lol.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on April 11, 2020, 04:17:09 PM
I've had more than a few rounds where a good squad made up for getting rolled pretty hard by the other side. Even though we lost, we played well together, even if the rest of our side was wandering around the map like lost sheep and losing objectives one after another lol.

It's funny but our whole team was communicating very well for the whole battle.  We just lost every single big firefight cuz the Germans coordinated everything just a little better (or something). So, sure, communication is important but it's also important:
1) not to accidently shoot each other
2) hit things (like tanks with your bazookas) that you need to
3) set up nodes for supplies that don't get overrun
4) don't bunch up
5) use suppressive fire
6) win your flanking fire fights occasionally
6.5) win your big central fire fights occasionally
7) don't try to kill the enemy with artillery
8) but do push him around and take his garrisons and nodes and outposts

Bardolph

My brother talked me into playing a little Iron Front ARMA 3 night before last, and the thing that struck me the most was being able to see further than 150 meters lol!
Was nice to have variable stances again instead of just standing, crouching, prone. But there was little effort at teamwork (was a KoTH server), and I found myself wishing I was playing HLL even though I have spent many hours happily in ARMA.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on April 12, 2020, 09:34:13 AM
My brother talked me into playing a little Iron Front ARMA 3 night before last, and the thing that struck me the most was being able to see further than 150 meters lol!
Was nice to have variable stances again instead of just standing, crouching, prone. But there was little effort at teamwork (was a KoTH server), and I found myself wishing I was playing HLL even though I have spent many hours happily in ARMA.

I've always liked ARMA a lot but some of the attractions of HLL are that its easier to set up (the servers are out there more or less without much effort) AND it is ever-changing (but I don't have to change it).  It's odd that people find HLL has "optimization" problems.  I'm not sure if that is a real thing or if it's just one of those things you have to mention to sound like you know what you are talking about.  I have a crappy computer and it works fine for me most of the time.  Apparently "optimization" sort of means -- runs like an AAA game -- but are those "optimized" or just reduced to such a weird scale and lots of verbiage about your points on the screen so that you'd never know anyway?

Father Ted

Quote from: MengJiao on April 12, 2020, 11:10:46 AM
Quote from: Bardolph on April 12, 2020, 09:34:13 AM

I've always liked ARMA a lot but some of the attractions of HLL are that its easier to set up (the servers are out there more or less without much effort) AND it is ever-changing (but I don't have to change it).  It's odd that people find HLL has "optimization" problems.  I'm not sure if that is a real thing or if it's just one of those things you have to mention to sound like you know what you are talking about.  I have a crappy computer and it works fine for me most of the time.  Apparently "optimization" sort of means -- runs like an AAA game -- but are those "optimized" or just reduced to such a weird scale and lots of verbiage about your points on the screen so that you'd never know anyway?

Ha! So I played a fair amount of ARMA KotH and always found it very janky - is that the same as unoptimized?  Basically the symptoms were that other players "rubber-banded" about the place and it was hard to tell if you were shooting at the right place or had hit anyone.  Don't have the same problem in HLL - just my own slowing reactions...

Bardolph

Rubber banding is usually net problem, not your computer. But "ARMA physics" is a thing, and sometimes weird stuff happens in ARMA. The Iron Front mod has come a ways since I last tried it. Only played two maps, the first was the snow one, and it is still pretty awful, but the next map we played was summer and was full of custom buildings and whatnot and was actually pretty nice.
I spent a fair deal of time fumbling with controls, my ARMA setup is pretty complicated and I hadn't played in a long time, but the shooty bits felt good. ARMA's sight pictures are generally far superior to HLL, though HLL is better than Post-Scriptum in that regard.