Combat Mission series on GoG.com

Started by mbar, June 05, 2019, 08:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: airboy on June 10, 2019, 08:03:21 AM
The random battle generator was the bomb.  I am going to buy them - for the 2nd time.

+1

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

One of my best memories of the game is an "Operation Crusader" CMAK multi-player campaign that I ran about 15 years ago.

I used TOAW to track unit locations and order of battle. When battles occurred, as referee I would generate the game start file and then let the players play out the battle in CMAK over the internet. When they finished, I would update the TOAW map and orders of battle.

If I were to do it today, I would use Vassal to track game progress.

With CMAK being so easy to access now, I may start another campaign this summer.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

Worth noting that TOAW4 has recently had the infamous North Africa Campaigns board game ported over to it as a module (from TOAW3, updated, as I recall).

Imagine running that game, except resolving some battles in CMAK and altering the game-save file for the results.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 11, 2019, 03:28:31 PM
Worth noting that TOAW4 has recently had the infamous North Africa Campaigns board game ported over to it as a module (from TOAW3, updated, as I recall).

Imagine running that game, except resolving some battles in CMAK and altering the game-save file for the results.

That'd be a good game to play if you were stuck on a sub-lightspeed generational colony vessel. You could start turn 1 at lift-off and your great-great-great-great grandkids would get to turn 4 just about the time they drop into orbit around Proxima Centauri B.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Heh! For what it's worth, I'm told that the mod runs a lot faster than that, precisely because it can do a lot of the scutwork under the hood at modern computing speeds.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

acctingman

I'm looking at getting one of these on GOG. For $10, why not.

Never played this series. Any suggestions? Wait for the new one?  8)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: acctingman on June 13, 2019, 04:10:33 PM
I'm looking at getting one of these on GOG. For $10, why not.

Never played this series. Any suggestions? Wait for the new one?  8)

Combat Mission Afrika Korps is the latest. It has some bells and whistles that CM Barbarossa to Berlin does not have. For example dust clouds. But the differences are probably minor in the long run. It really boils down to if you want Russian Front (CMBB) or the Med (CMAK). Combat Mission Beyond Overloard (CMBO) is the earliest title....and the graphics are much less refined than the later titles. 

For my money, CMAK is best
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Sir Slash

I liked CMBB best. The Axis satellite troops, Russian weather and landscapes, and equipment and battles from 1941 through 1945 sealed the deal for me. The sands of North Africa was less appealing for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 13, 2019, 06:03:23 PM
I liked CMBB best. The Axis satellite troops, Russian weather and landscapes, and equipment and battles from 1941 through 1945 sealed the deal for me. The sands of North Africa was less appealing for me.

There a lot more than NA in the CMAK scenario roster. Some nice hilly italian village fights for example.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

acctingman

So..........

Wrong game  :wow:

I was looking at the Close Combat series on sale at GOG.com

Jesus.....reading compression is loooooooow  :'(

Sir Slash

I liked CMAK too. The Italian fights were fun and who could forget the Aussies and Kiwis included? But nothing compares to fighting your way into the Tractor Factory with your last few rounds of ammo or doing donuts on Hitler's front lawn in a JS-2.  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bardolph

Quote from: acctingman on June 13, 2019, 07:49:53 PM
So..........

Wrong game  :wow:

I was looking at the Close Combat series on sale at GOG.com

Jesus.....reading compression is loooooooow  :'(

Buy CMAK and CMBB instead.  I've played a bit of the Close Combat series, but I played countless hours of CMBO, CMBB and CMAK.

I like em so much I just bought CMBB and CMAK again from GOG, and am tempted to get CMBO again just because. $5 a pop is hard to beat.

(Cool side effect, while messing about with graphics settings and reading various posts online about how to get em looking good I came across two pages that had some DirectDraw stuff to run old games on new computers, and using a combo of the two I was more or less able to get the original Steel Beasts (Gold edition) working again. Sort of. Still kind of glitchy but previously I hadn't been able to get it to run at all past the title page. I'm hoping I can figure it out, cause I spent countless hours in the old SB too. I've tried the current version a couple times, but bounced off it for some reason.)

The_Admiral

If you buy a Close Combat, buy Close Combat 2.
If you buy a CM, like the others said, that's like two totally different fronts. Had my most legendary drama moments in CMBB, but played countless hours of CMAK too. 50/50...

JasonPratt

Worth noting that CMAK has plenty of West Front mods, so it isn't only the Mediterranean areas.