30K Roman Coins Found in UK

Started by LongBlade, March 27, 2012, 08:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

This is pretty cool.

QuoteOne of the largest collections of Roman coins -- over 30,000 silver pieces -- has been recovered in England from the building site of a new hotel in Bath, just 450 feet from the historic Roman Baths.

Known as the Beau Street Hoard, from the street where they have been unearthed, the coins date to 270 A.D., a time of great upheaval when the western Roman empire was threatened by civil war and barbarian invasion.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/27/hoard-roman-coins-found-in-england/?intcmp=features#ixzz1qK9wqITh
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

That's a very interesting find.  Just goes to show you that even though we're separated by centuries, mankind still thinks the same way during times of crisis. 

Wouldn't it be really cool if the man who discovered this stash was somehow related to the man who buried it in the first place.  Talk about inheritance!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

Very cool.  I wonder how much it's worth (both then and now)? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

OK. Cool.  But, one thing I do not understand.  Why did someone take a giant $hit on them?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

besilarius

Probably some Saxon showing what he thought of civilisation or Rome in general.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2012, 05:46:28 PM
OK. Cool.  But, one thing I do not understand.  Why did someone take a giant $hit on them?

Go back to basic escape and evasion techniques: you hide where the enemy doesn't want to go.

Chances are the poor dude hid his stash, then got whacked, never to return to it. Considering it stayed hidden for nearly two millennia he gets a B+ in my book.

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on March 27, 2012, 08:07:34 PM

Go back to basic escape and evasion techniques: you hide where the enemy doesn't want to go.

Chances are the poor dude hid his stash, then got whacked, never to return to it. Considering it stayed hidden for nearly two millennia he gets a B+ in my book.

B+?  Well I guess if he made it to a full two millenia he'd get the A.  :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

LongBlade

Quote from: W8taminute on March 27, 2012, 08:35:01 PM

No. If we never found it he'd get an A.

You've gotta work in my class ;)

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on March 27, 2012, 08:48:19 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 27, 2012, 08:35:01 PM

No. If we never found it he'd get an A.

You've gotta work in my class ;)

Roger that.  I'm a fast learner.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on March 27, 2012, 08:07:34 PM

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

^  For as much as I admire Christopher Walken, I still don't any silver pieces if they've been up his ass. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces