Total War: Rome II THE RISE OF ROME dlc

Started by JasonPratt, August 04, 2018, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 08, 2018, 08:01:16 AM
   It was pretty intense. 

Sometimes even the most basic melees can degenerate into purely philosophical disagreements -- as seen here where the Insubres are offering a vaguely Wittgensteinian caveat to the standard Ligurian objection -- as in "Oh, yeah?  Well you are pretty implausible yourself."
To which the Ligurian is probably offering only the barest of Empirical notes: "I never said that I wasn't, but at least I don't have a horse to fall off of to begin with.":

Rayfer

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on September 11, 2018, 01:48:16 PM
LOL...well played MJ.

Thanks!  Those barbarians do look dumbfounded.  A lot of nice helmet diversity, though.

Philippe

Quote from: MengJiao on September 10, 2018, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 09, 2018, 10:34:08 PM
Hoplites are called hoplites because of the shield they carry.
Noticed something wrong.  Hoplites should be thrusting with spears overhead while pushing with shield. Not thrusting low like regular spearmen.

The Chigi vase (via wikipedia) shows both spear positions and overhand thrusts do happen in the game:

What I see when I look at that vase is two different overhand positions: one when you're actually trying to stick someone, and one when you're in overhand position but resting.  The difference has to do with whether you raise your arm or not.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on September 11, 2018, 03:19:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on September 10, 2018, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 09, 2018, 10:34:08 PM
Hoplites are called hoplites because of the shield they carry.
Noticed something wrong.  Hoplites should be thrusting with spears overhead while pushing with shield. Not thrusting low like regular spearmen.

The Chigi vase (via wikipedia) shows both spear positions and overhand thrusts do happen in the game:

What I see when I look at that vase is two different overhand positions: one when you're actually trying to stick someone, and one when you're in overhand position but resting.  The difference has to do with whether you raise your arm or not.

Possibly, but the upward-pointing-carry would transform into an underhand thrust before some kind of swap into an overhand.  Also rear-ranks might go upward-pointing and then to underhand (the same hand position) while overhand might be for the front ranks and/or even a lighter spear or something.

Sir Slash

Dammit Meng, you and your screenshots have made me so hot for some hoplite action that I broke down and reinstalled Rome 2. Maybe I'll spring for the DLC too. Oh well, time to make Rome great again( not a political statement).
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 11, 2018, 10:54:33 PM
Dammit Meng, you and your screenshots have made me so hot for some hoplite action that I broke down and reinstalled Rome 2. Maybe I'll spring for the DLC too. Oh well, time to make Rome great again( not a political statement).

For me at least, this DLC really hits the spot:  Lots of Gauls, lots of Etruscans, lots of Samnites, lots of Magna Grecians, the occasional Punic encounter and so on...

Sir Slash

Only thing I'm not sure about is whether it's worth the bother to reinstall the Radious mod or not. Anybody know how vanilla is now with all the updates?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 12, 2018, 10:13:39 AM
Only thing I'm not sure about is whether it's worth the bother to reinstall the Radious mod or not. Anybody know how vanilla is now with all the updates?

What did the Radious mod do?

Gusington

It's an overhaul mod so it changes almost every aspect of the game and adds a lot of new units.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on September 13, 2018, 08:47:41 AM
It's an overhaul mod so it changes almost every aspect of the game and adds a lot of new units.

Possibly not relevant at this point to the Rise of the Republic DLC?

Sir Slash

Possibly but relevant to my re-load of Rome 2. The Radious and DEI mods are both adjusting their mods to be available for Rise of the Republic. I went with the DEI mod for Rome 2. Return to topic.  ;)

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 13, 2018, 10:44:05 AM
Possibly but relevant to my re-load of Rome 2. The Radious and DEI mods are both adjusting their mods to be available for Rise of the Republic. I went with the DEI mod for Rome 2. Return to topic.  ;)

That's okay, man...Your epic journey to the gates of the Ancient World IS the topic.

Tuna

Which of the two mods do people recommend? if you install a Mod, do you need to disable updates to the game after?