Main Menu

Bad FRI-brations!

Started by al_infierno, January 22, 2021, 01:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Wrapping up this week with some classic Canadian thrash metal.  Razor is an unstoppable riff machine!

In terms of gaming, I've been sinking my teeth into the Bolivar campaign of Libertdad o Muerte!  Not finding the AI super challenging, but it puts up enough of a fight that I'm not totally steamrolling.  Would be more interesting to play against an opponent... hint hint ;)

I gave up on Red Dead Online within a week of starting it back up.  I'm still playing the single player a good bit, because it's incredibly immersive and fun, but online leaves so much to be desired.  While the basic game mechanics feel a bit smoother, the content seems mostly phoned in, and there's not a lot to do except extremely repetitive delivery missions or shootout missions.  Yawn.

On the roguelike front, I made a fairly deep run into the classic hard-as-balls Rogue successor, NetHack.  You practically need the wiki to play this game and have any idea what you're doing, but it's incredibly deep and has that "devs thought of everything" game design that's hard not to love.  I got to dungeon level 14 before whacking a Cockatrice without paying attention.  I was aware that whacking a Cockatrice in melee results in your character turning to stone - but I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize what I was whacking until my character was dead.  My next character had a pretty decent run, maybe around DLevel 8 before I was on the brink of death, quaffing unidentified potions in hopes one of them will turn out to be a healing potion.  Actually, the first one I quaffed was a potion of levitation, and my character smacked his un-helmeted head into the ceiling and lost his last few hit points and died.  Whoopsie.  Back to level 1.

Higher quality upload because all the YouTube uploads are crap...  :uglystupid2: https://razorband.bandcamp.com/track/bad-vibrations
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

Nice one! Cool NetHack story. I love reading about such game events.

For me it'll be DCS World; playing around in the ME and continue to train CASE 1 recoveries.
Definitely some Escape from Tarkov; unlocked Jaeger as a dealer. Time to start clapping some Scavs.

I've also linked all my game accounts with IO Interactive, so I am ready to start playing the trilogy for real in Hitman 3 now. Probably start this on PS5.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

IICptMillerII

No wargames for me this weekend. I'm taking off on an impromptu camping trip. Have to get away from planet insane for a breather.

Hope everyone else enjoys their gaming, and is able to stay warmer than me!

Anguille

Going to play: Distant Worlds and some Endless Space me think. There's going to be Distant Worlds 2 gameplay reveal next tuesday, look forward to this.

If i manage, i'll also play STAR WARS™ Starfighter.

jamus34

I've started up a new Stellaris game so I'll be enjoying that.

Want to continue my Octopath Traveler & Horizon Zero Dawn console adventures too.

If I reach a moment I just want to chill I'll probably put on some Elite Dangerous

Have a great weekend Grogs!
Insert witty comment here.

Rayfer

a_i   I enjoy your game posts but this music selection made my ears bleed.  :o  :-[  :-\    Getting back to some Tiller ACW gaming this weekend.

Jarhead0331

Working on an AAR for Combat Mission Black Sea mostly. Already played out the scenario, now just writing it up. Otherwise, probably some FPS action in VR. Been playing around with the new WWII update for Pavlov and still enjoying an early access game called Tales of Glory 2.

Holding off on DCS until the latest open beta patch drops next weds. Hopefully it will have the new cloud system!

Everyone enjoy the weekend.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I'll still be playing Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia on PS4.  Great game and worth the price of admission.  I'll also be continuing my PBEM of Field of Glory: Empires with Jason.  We've got most of France and Germany conquered playing as the Scots and Brits. 

I'm also playing a WW2 scenario I made for Civ3: Conquests.  I have it set up as a hotseat game where I am playing all the major powers of the war.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on January 22, 2021, 07:20:08 AM
a_i   I enjoy your game posts but this music selection made my ears bleed.  :o  :-[  :-\    Getting back to some Tiller ACW gaming this weekend.

Oh yeah!  Tiller ACW!  I seriously thought of getting Ozark...but calmed myself and ...yes...Normandy again.

Meanwhile on other fronts: HLL (hey, that's Normandy again), and maybe some of the usual World of Warships and boardgames.

Gusington

Metro Exodus (which is awesome), Phantom Doctrine, and maybe some ICBM and Armored Brigade.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: al_infierno on January 22, 2021, 01:26:56 AM
My next character had a pretty decent run, maybe around DLevel 8 before I was on the brink of death, quaffing unidentified potions in hopes one of them will turn out to be a healing potion.  Actually, the first one I quaffed was a potion of levitation, and my character smacked his un-helmeted head into the ceiling and lost his last few hit points and died.  Whoopsie.  Back to level 1.

Thanks for sharing!  :2funny:

airboy

I'm finishing a review and house cleaning after the four bathrooms after their renovation.  Red dust everywhere from taking out the old tile and having the subfloor sanded to put in the new tile.

I'm playing the last Soviet Order of Battle.  On the Minsk battle in 1944.  Also reading up on really old school RPGs (Wizardry 6 & 7) to determine if I want to dive into one of them.  I played Wizardry 8 to completion - but that is the only one in the series I've ever played.

Gusington

How do you like the Soviet Order of Battle DLCs? I am going to start the first one soon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Ditto on the Soviet Order of Battle goodness question; I enjoyed the Japanese DLCs fwiw.

Have finally gotten the home computer re-situated, so if time (i.e. the wife) allows, I'll be plugging away at World of Tanks and trying to wrap up my online drone coursework so's I can kamikaze some bastards "professionally."

FarAway Sooner

I'm sure hoping to start a new Shadow Empires game here this weekend.  If I'm able to, it'll be the first time I vaguely understand what I'm doing at the START of a scenario!