Main Menu

ROF

Started by Oche, April 27, 2014, 10:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 01, 2014, 12:19:39 PM
It's got cranky Soviet planes, that's for sure.  The LaGG-3 is a death trap.  If you don't like flak in ROF, you're going to hate flying low over Stalingrad.   The devs have said they're going to stick to the plan to deliver historical realism over play balance and it shows.  The German fighters really outclass the Soviet stuff but the Soviet bombers and ground attack planes are quite good at their jobs as compared to the Stukas.  What's surprising me and many on the forums is just how fragile the planes are in BOS.  Usually all it takes to knock you down are two to three 20mm cannon rounds.   

Sounds great!  I just watched Barfly's video as recommended over at the BoS site.  I've never seen planes shot up so fast and with such dynamic results.  And fantastic smoke and clouds and snow.  Yep, BoS is my next aerial game.

Nefaro

It's got cranky Soviet planes, that's for sure.  The LaGG-3 is a death trap.  If you don't like flak in ROF, you're going to hate flying low over Stalingrad.

I would hope that a WW2 sim has a bit deadlier AAA fire, since they actually had some specific tracking techniques and technology by that time.  The WW1 stuff was just setting a fuse and lobbing it up there, on the extreme chance they might get lucky, and to make themselves feel better.  Both sides of the business end knew this and lamented or mocked the stuff (as appropriate) the more they experienced it in the first world war.  It was machinegun fire from the ground, at low altitudes, that they had to worry about.  Those are why attacking balloons was so dangerous, having to get down so low to the ground to shoot them with their compliment of MGs nearby.

QuoteThe devs have said they're going to stick to the plan to deliver historical realism over play balance and it shows.  The German fighters really outclass the Soviet stuff but the Soviet bombers and ground attack planes are quite good at their jobs as compared to the Stukas.  What's surprising me and many on the forums is just how fragile the planes are in BOS.  Usually all it takes to knock you down are two to three 20mm cannon rounds.   

Good for them.  I'm glad the damage model will be more appropriate.  One thing that made me scratch my head about the original IL-2 was it's damage model, which sometimes seemed more like shooting at flying tanks.

MengJiao

It's got cranky Soviet planes, that's for sure.  The LaGG-3 is a death trap.  If you don't like flak in ROF, you're going to hate flying low over Stalingrad.   The devs have said they're going to stick to the plan to deliver historical realism over play balance and it shows.  The German fighters really outclass the Soviet stuff but the Soviet bombers and ground attack planes are quite good at their jobs as compared to the Stukas.  What's surprising me and many on the forums is just how fragile the planes are in BOS.  Usually all it takes to knock you down are two to three 20mm cannon rounds.   

Well...BoX has come a long way....