New Leftist Sports Outlet

Started by airboy, January 13, 2021, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

A former ESPN head and some other former ESPN people are forming a "harder left" sports news venture.  You can read about it at:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/john-skipper-dan-le-batard-progressive-sports-media-venture

I have my doubts about the ultimate success of this.  There is already a huge amount of leftist sports programming out there (ESPN, major city daily sports pages, NYT, Washington Post, Associated Press) - so where is the competitive advantage?  Just my opinion, but time will tell.

al_infierno

deleted
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

[airboy removed]

fran

Quote from: airboy on January 13, 2021, 03:58:28 PM
A former ESPN head and some other former ESPN people are forming a "harder left" sports news venture.  You can read about it at:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/john-skipper-dan-le-batard-progressive-sports-media-venture

I have my doubts about the ultimate success of this.  There is already a huge amount of leftist sports programming out there (ESPN, major city daily sports pages, NYT, Washington Post, Associated Press) - so where is the competitive advantage?  Just my opinion, but time will tell.

I am sure of one thing.  Our Great Tech Overlords will welcome this leftist venture and will not attempt to collude to block them from the internet.

All Hail Our Great Tech Overlords!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Is it April the 1st already?

Airboy where do you find these nuggets?

The Leftest Sport sure is a new term for me, do they al play on the wing?

Jarhead0331

Airboy...while these posts are certainly newsworthy and fair game for the R&P forums, I'd personally appreciate it if you could just tone down all the anti "leftist" dogma. Our forum is a microcosm of the country and I don't want this space as violently divided as the nation presently seems to be.

I think there is a better way to get your valid points across without trolling those in the forum who feel a little differently.

Your understanding is much appreciated, as is the cooperation of anybody else who is inclined to post in R&P. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 13, 2021, 04:38:26 PM
Airboy...while these posts are certainly newsworthy and fair game for the R&P forums, I'd personally appreciate it if you could just tone down all the anti "leftist" dogma. Our forum is a microcosm of the country and I don't want this space as violently divided as the nation presently seems to be.

I think there is a better way to get your valid points across without trolling those in the forum who feel a little differently.

Your understanding is much appreciated, as is the cooperation of anybody else who is inclined to post in R&P.

You are right.  I apologize.  I've edited my comment.

The sports news venture is newsworthy and the sponsors have described it as I have.

Please ask al to edit his comment since I've edited mine out - if nothing else his reply now makes no sense.

airboy

Quote from: fran on January 13, 2021, 04:34:28 PM

No joke.  I read the sports press every day - at least for College Sports.  My wife and I are huge fans and probably spend close to $10,000 annually on tickets, travel, and getting hulu so we can get our sports fix from local sports, ESPN channels, and the Fox Sports channels.

As a result, I hear things about sports business since I'm interested both in Sports and Business.

Come join our NCAA Men's Basketball pool this year!  I've won it a number of times, but I'm nothing like as dominate as Alabama is in College Football.  :'(

fran

Quote from: airboy on January 13, 2021, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: fran on January 13, 2021, 04:34:28 PM

No joke.  I read the sports press every day - at least for College Sports.  My wife and I are huge fans and probably spend close to $10,000 annually on tickets, travel, and getting hulu so we can get our sports fix from local sports, ESPN channels, and the Fox Sports channels.

As a result, I hear things about sports business since I'm interested both in Sports and Business.

Come join our NCAA Men's Basketball pool this year!  I've won it a number of times, but I'm nothing like as dominate as Alabama is in College Football.  :'(

I appreciate the back story/context.

I take it someone see this as a market they can sell to.

fran

Not sure how much was lost in translation but my remark linked to Left wing rugby 🏉

A three-quarter back, the left wing wears the number 11 on the back of his jersey and positions himself on the left side of the backs; he is expected to score a significant number of tries. This position is usually held by one of the fastest players in the team.