Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2019, 02:48:36 PM
People are morons.

Yep, maybe:)  But I suspect when the Steam reviews start pouring in, this will be the main thing complained about and drag down the score.

IICptMillerII

I've had a chance to play a bit today and my initial impression is very good. I haven't run into any bugs or issues, learning to play is quite intuitive due to all the tooltips, and the FoG2 battles have worked without issue for me. So far, this is just as good as I was hoping it would be. As of right now I really can't think of anything I don't like. If forced to give an improvement suggestion, my only one as of right now is expand the timeline to cover all the periods that FoG2 covers with its DLC.

devoncop

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 11, 2019, 03:17:12 PM
I've had a chance to play a bit today and my initial impression is very good. I haven't run into any bugs or issues, learning to play is quite intuitive due to all the tooltips, and the FoG2 battles have worked without issue for me. So far, this is just as good as I was hoping it would be. As of right now I really can't think of anything I don't like. If forced to give an improvement suggestion, my only one as of right now is expand the timeline to cover all the periods that FoG2 covers with its DLC.

The only improvement I would like is a few more diplomatic options (which the Devs are aware of and are hoping to add down the line) but you are right....it runs like a dream and has an excellent UI.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

W8taminute

2 things rubbed me the wrong way with this game and as a result after only 57 minutes of play I promptly requested and received a refund. 

I guess this game wasn't my cup of tea.  I'm content to live vicariously through you guys and YouTube.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Barthheart

W8taminute

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2019, 03:52:22 PM
what were the two things?

A.  The fact that I had to find out through a fellow groghead, after I purchased the game, that the game had a deal where you could get 25% off if you own FOG II.  Yes I should have read the fine print a little more closely before purchasing the game but if a company resorts to clever little tricks where you must pay close attention to what you're buying then I'm done with that.  Steam should have told me automatically that since I own FOG II I am eligible for a discount.  Did they really think that the buyer was going to just accept it and move on?

B. The gripe is with the short scenario that is only 15 turns in length.  Playing as Rome I immediately got trampled by and unstoppable Epirus.  I've watched hours of YouTube videos that supposedly were designed to teach you to play however when actually sitting down with a copy of the game I quickly realized I have no clue what I should be doing each turn.  What should I check for each turn?  Where are the buttons to address governmental concerns?  No quick start guide comes with this game, at least one that I could easily find.  In short this game seems to be a 'solve the puzzle quickly or die a horrible death' and that is not what I expected a grand strategy game like this to be. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

IronX

I agree with point B. Yes, there are tutorials and a manual that tell you what aspects of the game does, but not how to play it. Ideally, a tutorial that shows you what to do for the first few turns would be helpful. Frankly, I find Imperator to be more user-friendly when getting started.

al_infierno

There's no deal for getting 25% off if you own FOG2.  There's a bundle that includes FOG2 which is discounted, and it's right there on the front page immediately beneath the normal listing.  It just doesn't give you a second version of FOG2 if you already own it.  Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but I think it's worth pointing out, they weren't exactly hiding a discount from you.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2019, 04:55:55 PM
There's no deal for getting 25% off if you own FOG2.  There's a bundle that includes FOG2 which is discounted, and it's right there on the front page immediately beneath the normal listing.  It just doesn't give you a second version of FOG2 if you already own it.  Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but I think it's worth pointing out, they weren't exactly hiding a discount from you.

actually there is using your fog 2 serial if you buy from slitherine

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92708

Gusington

I dunno...I'm no jenius[tm] but without a tutorial my faction is still doing alright. The game is complex but with some time investment I find it gets immersive and fun, and definitely challenging.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2019, 05:02:12 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2019, 04:55:55 PM

actually there is using your fog 2 serial if you buy from slitherine

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92708

No shit?  I rescind my snark.  Apologies w8  :notworthy:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2019, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2019, 02:34:54 PM
I don't know what the issue is...I never thought of using FoGII as anything but optional and on the prompt when a battle is engaged it clearly states that using FoGII is optional. Last night I had a slave revolt and it was the first battle I auto-resolved.

I suspect it is mostly from people not familiar with FOG 2 prior to this coming out...which I guess I could understand.  They aren't grasping the OPTIONAL nature of it and feeling like content was purposely left out to force people to buy another product.

FoG II battles take ages to complete. Then their campaign will take eons.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: jomni on July 11, 2019, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2019, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2019, 02:34:54 PM
I don't know what the issue is...I never thought of using FoGII as anything but optional and on the prompt when a battle is engaged it clearly states that using FoGII is optional. Last night I had a slave revolt and it was the first battle I auto-resolved.

I suspect it is mostly from people not familiar with FOG 2 prior to this coming out...which I guess I could understand.  They aren't grasping the OPTIONAL nature of it and feeling like content was purposely left out to force people to buy another product.

FoG II battles take ages to complete. Then their campaign will take eons.

Actually so far in my experience the battles in FoG2 only take 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the armies involved. I'm finding it extremely comparable to the Total War games in that respect. Fighting out the important tactical battles (or just for fun) in FoG2, while using the FoGE battle system to resolve the ones you want to resolve quickly.

This game really feels like a proper successor to Rome Total War. And I mean that in the best possible way. RTW is one of my all time favorite games, and FoGE feels like it, but massively improved.

Tripoli

Quote from: IronX on July 11, 2019, 04:54:51 PM
I agree with point B. Yes, there are tutorials and a manual that tell you what aspects of the game does, but not how to play it. Ideally, a tutorial that shows you what to do for the first few turns would be helpful. Frankly, I find Imperator to be more user-friendly when getting started.

Did you see the MP AAR that I did as Rome, located here:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92523

I tried to put a lot of detail in it to help new players
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln