Main Menu

Commodore 64 return

Started by besilarius, July 05, 2019, 01:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Staggerwing

I've been following this one since the first one (C64 mini) was announced. Unfortunately it seems it will be just a bigger version of the mini with a working keyboard- no support for legacy hardware such as game/utility cartridges, datasette players, or 1541/1571 disk drives. It's basically an emulator with only USB and HDMI for ports.  :(

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to grab one the moment they go on sale.  ::)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I still sleep with my old Amiga under my pillow. Just...in...case.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

I'm not interested since I never had a commodore 64 back in the day.

But how much will it cost?

Suggestion - if you are really interested and the price point is high I would shop around.  I've seen emulators at pinball conventions of all sorts of old console games.  I would price shop if the price point is high.

Huw the Poo

$140

That's a good suggestion Airboy.  For myself though, I'd be paying for a supported unit that is (more or less) guaranteed to work.  Plus it has a USB port so there's hopefully even the potential to sideload more games than it ships with.

Staggerwing

The side-load thing is already confirmed. The previous C64 mini has that as well.

AFA emulators go, you can get those for PC or Raspberry Pi for free (if you don't mind doing some setup work) or for pay if you want an 'it just works' experience. For the latter try C64 Forever ($15-$20USD) from Cloanto, the makers of Amiga Forever, who are the current license holders of Commodore IP. WIN7-10 only, though.

The big takeaway for old C64 fans is the real keyboard with all the keys that the original had, allowing you to program your own stuff in the original BASIC2.0, without figuring out keyboard equivalents on a modern keyboard. Also, if someone designs a USB hardware emulator of the original 1541 floppy drive or adds a USB stick-reading software emulator to the new C64's OS that's available when in BASIC mode then Commodore fan nerdgasms will be a given.

If you actually have an old C64 lying around (that doesn't work, for to butcher a working one would be evil) you can get an adapter that will let you use the C64's mechanical keyboard as a USB keyboard for your modern computer. Pair that with the C64 Forever and you almost have the new C64,. albeit with a whole windows computer attached behind it.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 06, 2019, 07:31:43 AM
The side-load thing is already confirmed. The previous C64 mini has that as well.

I was sold already.  Now I'm even solder!

Gusington

I can still feel that old mechanical keyboard. And smell the plastic. I wonder if tape drives will be connectable in the VIC-20 mode.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on July 06, 2019, 11:22:57 AM
I can still feel that old mechanical keyboard. And smell the plastic. I wonder if tape drives will be connectable in the VIC-20 mode.

Only confirmed ports are the power, HDMI, and USB so far. You would need some hind of hardware interface that could adapt the old datasette tape drive's edge connector cable to the USB port and it would also probably need an arduino or R.PI or something to convert the data from (I think) parallel format to serial USB format. Such devices already exist in reverse, allowing you to use a USB or flash card to load programs you downloaded from the internet onto a vintage Vic-20 or C64.

Sir Slash

Now if we can only get the Muppet Show back on TV, it'll be just like the 80's all over again.  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I'll need to grow my hair back.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Maybe I can find enough of mine in my old combs to paste some back on.  :bd:

bobarossa

Not sure what the thrill is of a new C64.  I used to play some of my Atari 800 games long after PC's came out but the UI made it a royal pain.  Only one I kept playing up until about 5 years ago was Grigsby's USAAF.  Tried the emulator route on the PC but the UI still ruins it.  I would have happily played USAAF, Reforger, etc if I could use a mouse.