144 Hz monitor worth it?

Started by WallysWorld, November 27, 2019, 04:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

I have a 6 year old 25" Asus LED monitor at 60 Hz and was wondering if it's worth replacing it with a slightly tinier 24.5" LED that runs at 144 Hz and is G-Sync compatible.

With my new i9-9900k with RTX 2070 Super desktop, am I missing out on anything by not going to a higher refresh monitor? I really don't want a 27" monitor as I only sit about 28-29 inches away from the screen.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

This is the monitor I am considering as it's $80 CAD off at my local computer store:  AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

SirAndrewD

Short answer, yes.  At least in my 24 hour old opinion.

Just upgraded myself yesterday to a 144Hz 34" curved Ultrawide.   It's a huge improvement in quality of life over my older 27" 1080p.   

The immersion alone is incredible, and the frame rates are incredible. 

I've got virtually the same specs as you except a Ti over the Super, but both will likely perform similarly on the vast majority of games.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

30 minutes in a P-38 in solo flight of IL2 and I can't ever go back to 16:9 1080p. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

I would prefer a larger monitor with a higher resolution over a smaller monitor with a high refresh rate.

I don't think the human eye can detect a difference above 60 HZ.  Maybe a 144 hz is worth it for gamers who are into competitive multiplayer but they will want a higher resolution than 1080p.
You will also need a GPU that can render those games at 144 fps (but your RTX 2070 at 1080p will have no problem with that).

@SirAndrewD : correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest improvement you have is from the larger monitor and less from the higher refresh rate.

Huw the Poo

I haven't really looked into it but I was under the impression 144Hz is worth it if you game at higher than 60fps.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 28, 2019, 05:40:36 AM
I haven't really looked into it but I was under the impression 144Hz is worth it if you game at higher than 60fps.
[/quote

https://www.pcguide.com/tips/60hz-144hz-240hz-monitor/

If you've ever asked yourself, "Is a 144 Hz monitor worth it?" then the answer is probably yes. The smoother motion and generally more modern feature set of the 144 Hz option will be surely worth the minor extra investment.

Still I would prefer a 4k monitor at 60 hz over a 1080p at 144 hz.

Huw the Poo

Me too.  I doubt I'd notice the difference unless I saw a side-by-side comparison.  I'm one of those people who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps unless it's demonstrated to me.

Pete Dero

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 28, 2019, 04:59:02 AM

@SirAndrewD : correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest improvement you have is from the larger monitor and less from the higher refresh rate.

You're not wrong.   The move to 1440 21:9 with less than 1ms refresh and the monitor curve really have made the most difference. 

However, I'm not aware of many monitors in this class that don't exist in the 120-144 range. 

But yes, I should clarify that upgrading into the 21:9 low refresh world is really what's worth it, and it is. 

Con

I am interested in a new monitor. I currently have a 2 monitor 22inch setup. I am beginning to struggle with text rich games especially like command modern where there is a lot of info in text boxes. I wanted to know if a curved large monitor would help make text more legible larger especially as my eyes age.

SirAndrewD

I find it a lot easier on the eyes overall.

My eyes are pretty bad as well and I feel like I'm able to read more easily with extra real estate and the curve. 

The curve was a very brief adjustment but really prefer it now.  It just feels easier to look at, especially in games properly formatted for 21:9.

WallysWorld

Super thanks for the comments. I will consider the great advice given.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bobarossa

Bigger is not always better.  I bought a 32" monitor earlier this year and I think I would have been happier with a 27".  Depending on how far away from your eyesyou place the monitor, the edges of the monitor may be outside the sweet spot for your field of vision.  I play a mahjong (tile matching) game and I simply can't recognize the tiles on the edges of the monitor while looking at the middle of the screen.  I have also noticed it on some war/strategy games where it is annoying to find the info panel on the side is too far away from the middle.  I think it affects how quickly I get the mouse to the proper button because I can't 'see' it before I start moving the mouse.

SirAndrewD

Bob's right in that distance and the type of game you're playing is very important. 

With the larger monitor, the curve does make a difference in being more easily able to see the stretched ultrawide display. 

But, it's still big for strategy games, especially ones that put their info on the four corners.  I'm getting used to it, but it's not the ideal use for the monitor. 

Some strategy games might be better served to be played black boxed or windowed on a ultrawide in the 32-34 inch range. 

For sims and shooters though, it's amazing.  IL-2 Great Battles and Arma 3 are beyond stunning, and the extra FOV is both immersive and beneficial to the player, especially with head tracking.

You just have to consider what you really want to do.   I game across a lot of different genres so the ultrawide for me was the way to go.   

If you're strictly doing top down strategy, especially turn based or the like, and you sit close, it might not give you the benefit you're looking for.

JasonPratt

The obvious solution is to have two gaming rigs in your gaming room, one with a more immersive monitor for sims and shooters and things like that; one with an easier-to-read monitor for strategy games.

>:D

(I didn't say it was a FEASIBLE solution.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!