Birds of Prey

Started by airboy, February 02, 2020, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Birds of Prey is giving indications that it will be wretched.

It releases in the USA on February 7th.  It is now February 2nd and no, none, nada critic reviews have been released.  Seems like an "embargo" has been placed.

The trailers do not look that interesting.  Superhero/villain trailers almost always look good - often better than the movie itself.

Martok

Dang, I didn't realize it was already releasing this coming weekend. 

Now that you mention it, though, I've seen virtually no press/marketing for the film these past couple weeks, which the studio should really be ramping up to a fever pitch by now.  Not a good sign. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

That is because you are all sexists and/or racists or some other ists.

They're already prepared to blame men, and particularly white men, for the film failing; I've seen the spin marketing in various access media sites already. Spin marketing explicitly connected to the avowed themes of the film by the writers.  ::)

I would say they should have just let Gail Simone write the thing, but she has gotten caught up in too much political correctness in recent years that her quality isn't reliable anymore. (Or maybe it's vice versa: her quality started to decline so she took such a route to remain relevant.)

It's too bad. A full BoP origin story could have been very good, but they seem hamstrung on being unable to do that for some reason, and/or stitching a solo HQ film into it. Harley's character probably can't carry a solo film, but marketing doesn't care about that, just about her visual popularity since she does have an iconic look with some trashy/provocative/cute behavior. THAT can be marketed. But then notably, none of the BoP crew have got their iconic looks somehow...

I'm not the world's greatest BoP fan; I'm not even a fan. But I appreciate what the original run was able to do, and its quality both artistic and in writing. This had potential. Now it doesn't. Perhaps this will be the last of the misguided DC film management -- Aquaman and Shazam, despite some problems either way, demonstrated how to handle franchises correctly. More of that please; just be careful about quality, and the material should work out!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I've never even heard of this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

3 days from release and no reviews are out yet.

Very, very bad sign.

Gus - this is the Harley Quinn movie with a bunch of other DC Universe female supers.  My wife and I go to so many movies now that I'm retired that we have seen the trailer for weeks.

We saw the trailer two weeks ago when we went to see JoJo Rabbit - a good but surreal film.

W8taminute

Could someone please bring back the 80s right now?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on February 03, 2020, 06:49:20 PM
Could someone please bring back the 80s right now?

Only one person could accomplish that feat...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

My buddies have told me that JoJo Rabbit is hilarious.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

You have Buddies?  :o   What am I saying? Of course you do. So do I. Though mine are all....imaginary.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 03, 2020, 10:46:52 PM
You have Buddies?  :o   What am I saying? Of course you do. So do I. Though mine are all....imaginary.

You have had many, many doggy friends.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My imaginary buddies are all in agreement that you should not be shocked. Also, they think it's time for you to change your avatar.

Gusington

What's wrong with the avatar?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My imaginary Buddies say it looks like a giant eyeball watching everything they do. That's them now, not me you understand.