WH Fantasy Orcs vs. LotR Orcs

Started by W8taminute, May 24, 2015, 11:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: MetalDog on May 27, 2015, 05:59:24 PM
It's ok, my friend.  I am fighting the good fight.  And while Tolkien didn't invent Elves, only the bad ass immortal ones, he did invent Orcs.  No Tolkien Orcs.  No Warhammer Orks.  So, a win for Orcs in the end :)

Liking Orks is liking little green men.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

Little Green Men?  The Steve Vai song?

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on May 27, 2015, 07:32:52 PM
I never thought I was, "That Guy."  I guess maybe I am  :-[

Everybody on these boards is "that guy."

The only guy here who isn't "that guy" is Toonces - and that's because of Title 9.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on May 27, 2015, 05:59:24 PM
It's ok, my friend.  I am fighting the good fight.  And while Tolkien didn't invent Elves, only the bad ass immortal ones, he did invent Orcs.  No Tolkien Orcs.  No Warhammer Orks.  So, a win for Orcs in the end :)
That is a very valid point.  Whatever else might be said, they are the originals.  8) 

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 27, 2015, 07:02:40 PM
You can smell the nerdosterone in this thread before you even enter.
Well it's not like the thread title didn't give it away...  :P 

Quote from: LongBlade on May 27, 2015, 09:50:59 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on May 27, 2015, 07:32:52 PM
I never thought I was, "That Guy."  I guess maybe I am  :-[

Everybody on these boards is "that guy."
True.  Some of us probably a little more so than others (I'm almost certainly one of them), but yes.  :D 

Quote from: LongBlade on May 27, 2015, 09:50:59 PM
The only guy here who isn't "that guy" is Toonces - and that's because of Title 9.
:2funny:

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

See, I was going to be 'that guy' and point out the Tolkien Orc in the original screenie isn't even a full Orc, but a Half-Orc. Or a Three-Quarter Orc maybe, since the Uruk-Hai come from Orcs "mixed with Goblin-men". (And particularly, one who didn't even appear in the books, but had to be created for the movies in order to make the High-Orcs more threatening.)

In order to make anything like a hopeful comparison, the Tolkien Orc has to be mixed with a Humie!

Conclusion: Orkz.

(Also, Orcs are a ruined form of life even by the admission of the guy who tries to repair them by mixing them with Goblin-men. Which is why one of them can't ninja-solo an Oliphaunt by himself, or the book's equivalent thereof.)

The real question isn't WH Fantasy Orks vs LorT Orcs.

The real question is WH Fantasy Orks vs Blizzardarian Orcs. As per TVTropes.org. (Which treats Warhammer Orkz, even 40K, as a Tolkien Orc in comparison to the Blizzardian kind. And then goes back on that toward the end, and acknowledges the Warhammer Orkz are about half-and-half, being the cultural bridgepoint between the two general concepts.)

Incidentally, the Ungulata in my novels are, on reflection, a half-half mix of the Tolkien and Blizzardian kind. (Because "My Orcs Are Differen!t" ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Bloody hell, Jason.  I should know better than to click on any TV Tropes page *you* link to.  There just went twenty minutes of my life!  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces