Watchable Version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Started by mirth, June 12, 2017, 08:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

You are as soulless as a Horta on an ocean planet.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I'm one of the few people who genuinely likes TMP (and rates it above many of the other Trek movies), but I have to admit it has some major dull spots.

bbmike

Like when Spock takes a nine hour EVA trip outside of the Enterprise?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2017, 02:38:06 PM

Was it really necessary to film it real time?

Tpek

That scene was meant to be watched under the influence of various narcotics.

mirth

Nefaro

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 12, 2017, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2017, 02:38:06 PM

Was it really necessary to film it real time?

It was. Roddenberry even had to add filler to that to get the full twelve hours you actually see onscreen. 
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Just remember, that was brought to you by an ultra-respected classic 50s sci-fi director who reaaaallllllyyyyyy wanted to make 2001.

(In related news: 2001, also dull time-waster of respectable quality and magnimalous visuals sometimes with a shallowly deep point about man and God or something. ...OMG YOU GUYS I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT RIDLEY SCOTT THINKS HE HAS BEEN TRYING TO DO!!1!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!