Main Menu

6 Nations 2016

Started by JudgeDredd, January 26, 2016, 01:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pinetree on March 01, 2016, 03:14:48 AM
QuoteI'm hoping for an exciting game.

Good luck with that. What little I've seen of the games makes me think that the NH teams have learnt nothing from the World Cup.  Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere of the 6Ns is second to none but the rugby itself is dire compared to what we get down here.
I agree - at least this year (though not exclusively).

I watch The Rugby Championship every year and the play on offer is outstanding. Tries galore.

I think a few pundits nailed it in the head - there seems to be a fear of losing than a desire of winning - so defensive play. There have been 3 games that I personally thought were entertaining...France v Italy, Wales v Scotland and Italy v Scotland.

I don't even think I'm being biased there. All of those games had tries (and reasonably good ones too) and decent end to end rugby.

Still - not a patch on the Southern Hemisphere Championship though.  O0
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

i dont think jones would admit it but i think hed like to get the cup just to build a foundation for his reign, and then he can put his stamp on the team for next year

JudgeDredd

Yeah - you're on course for it too. The next game for England will be a decider because Wales final game is a given 2 points from playing Italy.

It's not been glamorous from England - but you are winning and that was very important for this new reign.

England have played solidly, if cautiously. They have incredible depth. Almost their entire A team could be put out through injury and you'd still win.

Eddie Jones has played cautiously keeping with the old guard and throwing a couple of young players in here and there. But he knew he had to get a solid start - and that meant no rocking the boat too much. I'll give him his dues - he knew what he had to do and seems to have done it.

What he does next year will be interesting.

As for Scotland - that one win will not be enough to get their hopes up. They need to start closing games. That means mastering set piece and scoring tries whilst not leaving gaping holes and cutting down on missed tackles.

They did really well in the rucks, mauls and scrums against Italy who normally have a fairly strong pack.

France at Murrayfield next and Ireland at Aviva in Dublin. They absolutely have to take those two games. Both are playing badly and for Scotland not to capitalise on other teams poor performances is just not going to wash.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

forgive me but our first 2 games were the easiest and its the next 3 thatll be the true test of what hes done, and hes passed the part with ireland, i dunno about france and wales - a month ago i would have said these were the 2 games that will test us

as for your boys - i havent seen the side that almost got to the world cup quarters yet

JudgeDredd

You're forgiven  :P

That's fair enough, but if Scotland was one of England's easiest games (and I do believe that to be the case), why did he only leave with 15 points? That's rhetorical - I know why - it's because he played it cautious and solid. He picked the old guard because he knew they had something to prove from the World Cup and they'd do it. That's why he got the win but it's also why he only walked away from Murrayfield with 15 points.

That isn't a criticism. He's doing what he needs to do. Also the confidence from the 3 wins will help with your next two games - but it's only really Wales that are your issue. It's fair to say France always have the ability to turn up - but they haven't looked like doing so so far.

He's all showman. He was giving it the whole "new reign" thing and when he actually got to Murrayfield it was the same old guard. Again - not a criticism. That's fair enough. The England team that turned up at Murrayfield (and actually mostly the team from Italy and Ireland) had a lot to prove - to themselves and the new manager. And they did that with solid performances.

Get Wales out the way and the championship is yours - with the Grand Slam in your hands against a very average French team.

I agree about Scotland and I'm actually just happy to be off the bottom (just now). They worked hard for that win but were actually gifted it by Italy if I'm honest. As a Scotland rugby fan since 1990 when I watched my first game, I've watched mediocre team after mediocre team come and go. I've seem some good teams with solid performances in the Autumn Internationals go absent without leave on the start of the 6 Nations.

It's a cross I have to bear. I'm going to find it hard to let it go if they do not pick up points against a poor Ireland side and a very mediocre French team.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

it would be nice to see you turnover ireland

JudgeDredd

We owe those buggers after that 10-40 defeat at Murrayfield last year  :'(
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Superb games this weekend.

Congratulations on winning the championship. Only one team standing in your way.

Ireland decided to play rugby on Saturday with a decisive win against Italy - 58-15. First time they've looked impressive this tournament. 9 tries!

England had a very good 60 minutes and a terrible 20 which almost lost them the game. But they had built enough of a lead first half to soak up the pressure Wales decided to ply on in the last 20 minutes. Final score was 25-21 to England (16-0 at half time!)

Scotland had a good win against France (first time in 10 years). It was nervy with France always looking like they might grab a try here and there. But Scotland held on for a convincing win (given Scotland's normal play) at 29-18. I have to say, it was 29-18 with 2 minutes to go and I still was not counting it as a Scotland win. Been there done that.

So England win the championship and have a shot at the Grand Slam next week. Not bad for a relatively unchanged side from the one Stuart Lancaster had built up. I have to say, Itoje was superb.
Alba gu' brath