Grogheads Fantasy Football 2014 Season

Started by Bison, July 14, 2014, 08:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well we are approaching that time of year again.  Football season.  The league invites for managers who played last year have been sent out.  Once the previous managers have had a chance to respond to the invitation, I'll open up the league to the general population of the Grogheads asylum to fill out any remaining manager positions.  If you are interested in an open manager slot, just put a note in this tread and the open slots will be made available in the order you post here.

Rookie League - Auto Draft, not a keeper league. 

Pro League - Live Draft, keeper league.

Need to start looking at a date for the Pro League Live Draft.  I'm thinking the last weekend in August.  Open to suggestions.

The league scoring and rules will be posted forth coming unless Metaldog gets to it before me.

Thanks.

Bison

Could we get a sticky please?

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

I've never played in a keeper league. How many guys do you get to keep from last year?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Arctic Blast

In for both.

How many keepers do we get in that league?

Bison

I have to look at it again guys, but I seem to recall one player is held over.

TheCommandTent

Got the invite from Bison and rejoined the Rookie league. 
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Marty Ward

I think my yahoo e-mail is different now than last year. My current one is martyward9635@yahoo.com
I'll join both.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

Bison

Just to let everyone know I'll be working through the keeper settings with metaldog at some point over the next week or so.  I'm up for discussion on the number of players kept and how that plays out in the draft.  We are a trade draft picks league, so at some point you will be able to trade a draft picks.  This is going to be our first keeper season so I expect some hiccups as we move toward our draft date and the start of the season.  Just let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2014, 09:26:37 AM
Quote from: Bison on July 14, 2014, 08:31:13 AMCould we get a sticky please?

Duct tape, bubble gum, or super glue?

I was looking for more of a dried out soda spill sticky residue consistency.

MetalDog

I've been in fantasy leagues since the late 80's, yet, I have never been in a keeper league.  I'm not sure really how to go about it.  It's my understanding that the round a keeper is drafted in, is the round you lose a pick in.  So, if you get Adrian Peterson in the first round, and you designate him your keeper, you won't have a first round pick this year.  Beyond that, I have no experience.  How many to keep?  How many years?  What's the penalty for multiple years?  Who does the bookkeeping?  What's the benefit of trading draft picks?  And so on.  What else, fellas?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

No that is the basics of it.  I think we'd have to use this year draft projections as the "round" the player would be drafted.  So the number of teams equals number of picks in a round so as it stands now 8 players/round.  Pre-draft  player ranked 1-8 1st round, 9-16 2nd round, ect...I think we'd have to look at the numbers because a #1 or # 2 defense by numbers would be at the end draft rounds.  Or use the pre-draft average round number and round down.  So Peyton Manning 1.7 is a 1st round pick and not a 2nd round pick.  And Seattle a 6.6 would be a 6th round pick. 

Also we just need to decide the number of players that can be marked as keepers.  1 is too few but 7 is most likely too many.  I'd lean toward 3 players. 

Additionally pre-draft trades must be equal in number of "picks" so a player and a round pick for two picks.  Rounds do not matter unless the player does not fill the same round as a keeper pick.

Anyway basically we'd have to go in and pre-set the draft or honor system if I keep Brees no one can select him and I must take him in the second round. 

Just some food for thought...

Marty Ward

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on July 15, 2014, 11:36:39 PM
No that is the basics of it.  I think we'd have to use this year draft projections as the "round" the player would be drafted.  So the number of teams equals number of picks in a round so as it stands now 8 players/round.  Pre-draft  player ranked 1-8 1st round, 9-16 2nd round, ect...I think we'd have to look at the numbers because a #1 or # 2 defense by numbers would be at the end draft rounds.  Or use the pre-draft average round number and round down.  So Peyton Manning 1.7 is a 1st round pick and not a 2nd round pick.  And Seattle a 6.6 would be a 6th round pick. 

Also we just need to decide the number of players that can be marked as keepers.  1 is too few but 7 is most likely too many.  I'd lean toward 3 players. 

Additionally pre-draft trades must be equal in number of "picks" so a player and a round pick for two picks.  Rounds do not matter unless the player does not fill the same round as a keeper pick.

Anyway basically we'd have to go in and pre-set the draft or honor system if I keep Brees no one can select him and I must take him in the second round. 

Just some food for thought...

Can't you set it up to keep a set number of players and then have a normal draft with the number of rounds reduced by the number of keepers?

Or we can do like you suggest and post the keepers here and everyone takes them when it is there time to draft in the first round, and second if we keep 2. Then the rest of the draft continues as normal. We would all probably have to be on line for the first rounds for that to work.

I'm not sure about trading draft picks. You can only have so many people on your team and who would trade their 1st round pick for a 3rd round pick in the same draft? Now if you swapped this years 1st round pick for next years 1st and 3rd round pick that might make some sense if your keeper is not someone you want to keep next year but I don't know if how it would work especially if someone dropped out of the league.

BanzaiCat

I am in for both as well, if possible.

My Yahoo ID/email is: texscripter@sbcglobal.net