Main Menu

[Android] Wardroid

Started by spelk, September 21, 2012, 03:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

A quick look at some of the war gaming apps available to Android handheld.

http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=49630

Tpek

Thanks for the info.
Devs are seriously and unjustifiably ignoring the Android market.

MikeGER

Spelk, that was exactly what i am looking for :D

...in addition to my year old Galaxy S2 phone i finally got a Note 10.1 (with S Pen support) tablet  a few weeks ago and its a new world of mobile wargaming now  8)
I played that Rommel game so far ...and liked it!
... i also have CM:Touch
(but i am a little bit disappointed that some of the 'buttons' actually still need to be pressed with a finger and the S Pen works on units, but not on some part of the UI )

Tpek

Quote from: MikeGER on September 21, 2012, 05:46:18 PM
Spelk, that was exactly what i am looking for :D

...in addition to my year old Galaxy S2 phone i finally got a Note 10.1 (with S Pen support) tablet  a few weeks ago and its a new world of mobile wargaming now  8)
I played that Rommel game so far ...and liked it!
... i also have CM:Touch
(but i am a little bit disappointed that some of the 'buttons' actually still need to be pressed with a finger and the S Pen works on units, but not on some part of the UI )

Where did you get CM:T from?
Is there some actually good webstore for these apps that I don't know of?

MikeGER

i got it from Amazon App Store, who recently made it available in some European countries   

(and its STILL >:( version 1.3 while the fancy lifestyle I-ppl crowd have the 1.4 version
while Android-OS runs on 70% of the gadgets and Apple only service the rest)

PS: ive read that you can fool the app-stores changing your IP with some VPN- services  ...(but those wil charge some $'s so ...or it maybe even just a scam to sell those services?) 

Tpek

Quote from: MikeGER on September 22, 2012, 10:56:06 AM
i got it from Amazon App Store, who recently made it available in some European countries   

(and its STILL >:( version 1.3 while the fancy lifestyle I-ppl crowd have the 1.4 version
while Android-OS runs on 70% of the gadgets and Apple only service the rest)

PS: ive read that you can fool the app-stores changing your IP with some VPN- services  ...(but those wil charge some $'s so ...or it maybe even just a scam to sell those services?)

The really funny issue is that either here or on the WG I had an argument with a iOS wargame dev about which platform has the most serious piracy issue. He refused to acknowledge that
inevitably, Android has little to no piracy whereas with Apple, piracy is far far far more common than actual purchases.

Tpek

It'd be nice to have a good listing of actually good games for the Android.
None of those "Freemium", arcade or repetitive crap.

Tpek

Argh!
Why do mobile game devs insist on developing for that silly iOS thing and refuse to let us Android users (who make the majority of the market)
enjoy good games?!

Summoner Wars, BattleCon, Ravenmark, Loststar, countless games that are still unavailable for Android.

And when some devs finally decide to make an Android game, they go to publish it via some obscure and arcane application store rather than Google Play,
thus preventing non-Americans/Europeans from playing.

>:(

Barthheart

Quote from: Tpek on October 24, 2012, 08:45:15 AM
Argh!
Why do mobile game devs insist on developing for that silly iOS thing and refuse to let us Android users (who make the majority of the market)
enjoy good games?!

Majority? Of what market... phones?

I still think there's more iOS devices, phones + pads + pods, out there.... no?

Tpek

Quote from: Barthheart on October 24, 2012, 09:52:37 AM
Quote from: Tpek on October 24, 2012, 08:45:15 AM
Argh!
enjoy good games?!

Majority? Of what market... phones?

I still think there's more iOS devices, phones + pads + pods, out there.... no?

Not anymore really.

I remember reading even some time ago that Apple was really losing its grip on the market.
Hence the constant rushing of products and dirty tricks (those idiotic lawsuits, stealing Android features, etc...).

MikeGER

thats the US Market  (Europe will not be lacking behind i guess)

take a look at market-share of all OS on phones you find: 
source: IDC, reported at:  http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012-05/marktanteile-von-android-ios-und-bada-steigen/ Anteil der Smartphone-Betriebssysteme im jeweils 1. Quartal)

i recently told this facts Dan Verssen (DVG) in his thread ... i hope he may give Android a little more priority converting his board games to digital in the future

on the other hand Slitherine's tradefair-crew (JD, Ian and Marco) revealed to me at the Spiel 2012 that Android based game developments take 4 times the effort/time to get working and then only on 'most' Android Software/Hardware combos, but some customers will simply not be able to run it ...and may even find out the hard way (like those who buy PC games and dont read the system-specs before) ...and they cant test all possible combos, so unhappy customers may probably blame it on Slitherine product line as faulty as a whole, and so they are a little reluctant with Android releases, ...well atm.       

Barthheart

Ah... interesting... Thanks for the info.

Tpek

So any new, interesting and worthwhile games for us 'Droid users?

bayonetbrant

a lot of that tablet change from 2011 to 2012 is in large part because the Android tablets were shit-on-a-stick until the summer for 2012, when you started to see things like the Nexus 7 arrive.  Before that, they were just bad tablets and waaaay overpriced for what they could do compared to an iWhatever.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

spelk

Quote from: Tpek on December 28, 2012, 11:47:55 AM
So any new, interesting and worthwhile games for us 'Droid users?

Keep an eye on DK Simulations for they've started releasing American Civil War hex games recently

http://www.appbrain.com/app/wargame-gettysburg/com.dk.gettysburg

Also look out for Joni Nuutinen's Conflict Series stuff.