Russia Besieged

Started by solops, June 22, 2013, 09:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Years ago I got Russia Besieged by L2 and liked it. It is basically an upgraded Russian Campaign. I recently got the 2nd edition of Russia Besieged and what was a really good game looks to have become truly outstanding now. Is or has there been any discussion of this on these boards? My son and I are about to dive in and give it a go.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bayonetbrant

Dunno that many of us have poked around at it.  I've always pushed the counters around on a few L2 games at Origins, but never took the plunge on one.

I honestly don't find a ton of enjoyment in east front games, but I know they're crazy popular among most grogs.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

A couple of years ago I took a long, hard look at RB'd and almost pulled the trigger but didn't for some reason (cost most likely).  I'd have to say that "No Retreat" is my total East Front game though I've barely had a chance to poke around with it as of yet.  How is the complexity for RB'd?  I notice that you mention that you and your son are going to dive in to that one - how old is he and how big of a wargamer is he?  My son is 14 and he really enjoys gaming and will sit and play ASL, Up Front, Hitler's War and others.  Interestingly, he didn't care for No Retreat.  He's more of a tactical gamer at this point (strike 1 against No Retreat) and WWII isn't his favorite era; he prefers either ancients or modern warfare (both tactical - big strike 2 against a game like No Retreat).  It's great having a ready opponent though, isn't it?!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bob48

^You'll be OK until he discovers girls. Both my in-house wargame opponents were eventually lured away.......... :(

On the bright side, one of them plays Total War on Steam, plus a few other games, so I do have that option now and again.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

I have RB, though I've only played it a couple of times. As noted, it's Russian Campaign with lots of chrome added on (I also have RC and have played it several times. Amazing how well it has stood the test of time).

Have fun Solops and let us know your thoughts. AARs with pics are always welcome! ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

solops

Oh yeah... this is a good game and my son LIKES it!! the second edition really rocks even better than the first.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 22, 2013, 10:34:48 PM
I honestly don't find a ton of enjoyment in east front games, but I know they're crazy popular among most grogs.

:o
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.