Main Menu

Programmers at BFC

Started by RyanE, March 24, 2017, 08:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

I was cleaning up my LinkedIn account and contacts and I noticed that one of the contacts recommended to me was Phil Culliton.  I thought the name sounded familiar so checked the profile.  Its a public profile.  Nothing very interesting except he listed a termination data at BFC in 2015.  I went back and looked and noted its been a while since he has posted anything on the BFC forums.  So I am assuming that some of the delays and quality issues BFC has had recently might be related to Phil departing.

Does anyone know if Phil leaving was announced?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/philculliton/

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

no i think his actual forum name was phillip culliton or phillip

RyanE

Yeah, I can't even find any of his old posts.  They seem to have disappeared, although I could be searching wrong.

Philippe

I don't follow BFC closely anymore, but is Mad Matt still there or did he move on?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

undercovergeek

Zulu1966

Quote from: RyanE on March 24, 2017, 08:40:43 AM
I was cleaning up my LinkedIn account and contacts and I noticed that one of the contacts recommended to me was Phil Culliton.  I thought the name sounded familiar so checked the profile.  Its a public profile.  Nothing very interesting except he listed a termination data at BFC in 2015.  I went back and looked and noted its been a while since he has posted anything on the BFC forums.  So I am assuming that some of the delays and quality issues BFC has had recently might be related to Phil departing.

That would explain a lot I guess - my hope is he left and its not a sign of financial problems.  My world would likely end if there were no more CM. Seems odd they kept it quiet
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 24, 2017, 11:48:24 AM
Was he 'Moon' over there?
No. IIRC that was Martin van Balkom who ran the PR side of the company. He left about a year ago. He seemed a nice guy and was always very helpful.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mirth

Moon always seemed to be one of the more customer friendly guys there.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

Quote from: Zulu1966 on March 24, 2017, 01:34:16 PM
Quote from: RyanE on March 24, 2017, 08:40:43 AM

That would explain a lot I guess - my hope is he left and its not a sign of financial problems.  My world would likely end if there were no more CM. Seems odd they kept it quiet
If you look at his Linked in account, you'll see had left BFC in Dec 2015, some 15 months ago. I don't think it odd that they kept it quiet, as they did the same with Martin van Balkom.

Like you, I'd be terribly disappointed if there was no more CM, probably one of my favourite go to games. 
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

RyanE

I just checked and he is still listed on the BFC site.  But that was last updated in 2010.

RyanE

I will also point out that the improvement in graphics with better shadows, faster frame rates, and shader support coincided with Phil's arrival at BFC.  He seemed to become the graphics guy pretty quickly.

Boggit

It's been pretty quiet as to what's going on at Battlefront, which is why this thread prompts the speculation. I asked Steve Grammont what is happening over at Battlefront. We've nothing to worry about...

Steve told me:

"2017 is Battlefront's official 20th year of existence and our calendar for this year contains plenty of good stuff.

For the last 5 years or so our plan is to release one major and several smaller releases within a calendar year.

For 2017 the big effort is a full revitalization of the entire CM Shock Force Family to current game engine standards.

For the smaller releases you'll soon see a Battle Pack for CMBS and not long after that a second Module for CMFI.  The first module for CMRT might make it into 2017, but might be just over the line in 2018.

Those of you who have followed us over the years know that there's always more going on than meets the eye, therefore it is safe to assume there's more for 2018 that we're not talking about yet."

So it looks like RyanE, Zulu1966 and myself will have plenty more Combat Mission to keep us happy.  :bd:

RyanE

My main concern is Steve comes around about once a year and declares all of the things that are going to be released in the year.  Maybe about 20% gets delivered.  I just wish they would be more realistic in what they can do.

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on March 25, 2017, 07:34:10 PM
For 2017 the big effort is a full revitalization of the entire CM Shock Force Family to current game engine standards.

This is the best part for me. I never delved into their new WW2 titles.