Argentina's Falkland's War Museum

Started by MIGMaster, March 06, 2012, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Looks like Foch is the one the Brazilians bought. Clemenceau was scrapped which seems like a pity.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on March 08, 2012, 08:42:08 AM
Brazil has the old Clemenceau. They could kick Britain's ass.  :o

sub-bait.....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on March 08, 2012, 10:51:18 AM
Quote from: mirth on March 08, 2012, 08:42:08 AM
Brazil has the old Clemenceau. They could kick Britain's ass.  :o

sub-bait.....

Lol, true enough! The Astute or even one of the Trafalgars could probably sink her from the time she left port. However, the Brazilian Navy is surprisingly modern (on paper at least). I wonder how good their training is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_Brazilian_Navy
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MIGMaster

They're regarded as an up and coming South American power....... Probably much to the chagrin of Argentina.

mirth

I imagine they must have some skill to operate a fleet of that size. There's some good ship types on that list. The Sao Paulo (ex Foch) went through an extensive refit a couple years ago too.

MIGMaster

I read some pieces on Brazil and how they are trying to shoot for the role of a South American power house. IIRC they are also very serious about developing a thriving aircraft industry.

mirth

I think they've succeeded in that regard. Embraer is pretty well regraded as an aircraft manufacturer isn't it?

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on March 08, 2012, 02:27:01 PM
I think they've succeeded in that regard. Embraer is pretty well regraded as an aircraft manufacturer isn't it?

I read something about Brazil competing for a new Air Force training plane. It's a virtual guarantee that the USAF wouldn't be inviting junk companies to build for them, so I suspect you're right.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2012, 02:43:37 PM

I read something about Brazil competing for a new Air Force training plane. It's a virtual guarantee that the USAF wouldn't be inviting junk companies to build for them, so I suspect you're right.

Yeah - they are really putting up stiff competition in the medium tactical lift field and AEW systems:

http://www.embraerdefensesystems.com/english/content/cargo/three_view.asp

They are certainly scaring the hell outta Bombadier !

mirth

The US Navy and USAF were both contemplating buying some of these for counter-insurgency support-

Looks like a nasty little light attack bird.

LongBlade

It almost looks like a two-seater P-51. Funny how what comes around goes around.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

They'll always be a need for rugged, prop driven attack aircraft. Mostly our own Air Force keeps forgetting that and relearning it every 20 years or so.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2012, 03:05:54 PM
It almost looks like a two-seater P-51. Funny how what comes around goes around.

a ripoff of the De Havilland Canada DHC-1B-2-S3 Chipmunk with an upgrade on the engine
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on March 08, 2012, 03:48:02 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2012, 03:05:54 PM

a ripoff of the De Havilland Canada DHC-1B-2-S3 Chipmunk with an upgrade on the engine

If ever an airplane deserved the name "Chipmunk"...

Centurion40

Yep.
Any time is a good time for pie.