Argentina's Falkland's War Museum

Started by MIGMaster, March 06, 2012, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Man, what happened to the Royal Navy that the outcome is even in question? I mean no disrespect, but how can a nation like the UK, with such a history with and dependence on a superior Navy allow that tradition to disappear....
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bob48

Because politicians hold the purse-strings, as ever  >:(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MIGMaster

I still can't believe the UK got rid of their whole Harrier force - just blows my mind. Every time I pick up a copy of Combat Aircraft it seems there is a story about some horrendous cuts to the UK military. I 'm scared to read the next issue at this rate.

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on March 07, 2012, 02:25:44 PM
Because politicians hold the purse-strings, as ever  >:(

I'm afraid I don't know much about British politics, but if I had to speculate could it be because of blooming social programs?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

spelk

mirth

Quote from: mikeck on March 07, 2012, 02:13:02 PM
Man, what happened to the Royal Navy that the outcome is even in question? I mean no disrespect, but how can a nation like the UK, with such a history with and dependence on a superior Navy allow that tradition to disappear....

They very nearly couldn't do it in 1982. I believe they were a few months away from selling Invincible and decommissioning Hermes.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

Quote from: mikeck on March 07, 2012, 02:13:02 PM

Navy ships don't vote.....

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 07, 2012, 02:58:55 PM
I still can't believe the UK got rid of their whole Harrier force - just blows my mind. Every time I pick up a copy of Combat Aircraft it seems there is a story about some horrendous cuts to the UK military. I 'm scared to read the next issue at this rate.

Cutting the Harriers was a huge mistake. It isn't just the planes, it's the loss of experience in carrier flight operations. Even though the Queen Elizabeth is supposed to enter service in 2020, they're talking about her not being fully operational until 2030 because of the time to rebuild the Fleet Air Arm.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

Once you lose a time honored expertise, getting it back won't be easy. Too bad really. I quite liked the Harriers - I wonder if the carrier will get the axe down the road ?

mirth

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 07, 2012, 08:16:56 PM
Once you lose a time honored expertise, getting it back won't be easy. Too bad really. I quite liked the Harriers - I wonder of the carrier will get the axe down the road ?

I've read stuff along those lines. It's possible Prince of Wales will be mothballed as soon as it's built or possibly sold off to India.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

mirth

Brazil has the old Clemenceau. They could kick Britain's ass.  :o

MIGMaster