Whats on your painting table/workbench?

Started by TheCommandTent, July 08, 2012, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I'm just glad you went with the fantastic 4 and not the green lantern sticker!

Nice work lb

TheCommandTent

Those would probably do well with a light to medium black wash.  It would really bring out the detail on the tanks, especially from a top down perspective.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

W8taminute

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but what does washing your model mean in the context you guys are talking about?

I've been toying with the idea of revisiting my childhood hobby of model making as a teaching tool for my kids so I'm genuinely curious.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Quote from: W8taminute on August 07, 2012, 08:25:38 AM
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but what does washing your model mean in the context you guys are talking about?

I've been toying with the idea of revisiting my childhood hobby of model making as a teaching tool for my kids so I'm genuinely curious.

A wash doesn't mean "soap & water" (though washing your models before you prime them is often recommended, that isn't what we're talking about).

A wash in this context means: after the paint job is final, putting a finishing coat on it to add shadows and such.

A wash can be a watered-down color or it can be a special finishing coat. In any case, the idea is that a darker coat (and this can be brown, blue, grey, black or something like it) seeps into the cracks around the model and darkens them. It creates a higher contrast and brings out certain details. The wash also will cling to the edges or raised parts of the model such as a hatch, to help define those better, too.

This article seems to explain the concept and also provide some decent before-and-after images: http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/painting/paint-washes/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

^Thanks LB for the article.  That is a neat little trick to bring out the small details. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

TheCommandTent

A wash is also helpful for people like me who are not the best at painting the details or "painting within the lines."  It can cover up small mistakes and blend things while bringing out the detail so the figures look good while you stand above them moving them around the battlefield.  Just don't inspect my figures with a magnifying glass.  ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bob48

Just to add to that; a little dry-brushing can also bring out the high-lights and, if done carefully, can really enhance the finished look. It does take a bit of practise, but its worth the effort.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bob48 on August 08, 2012, 01:45:16 PM
Just to add to that; a little dry-brushing can also bring out the high-lights and, if done carefully, can really enhance the finished look. It does take a bit of practise, but its worth the effort.

I still can't make dry-brushing look quite right on my figures.  However, I use it when I build terrain and it really adds to the finished look.

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 08, 2012, 01:54:52 PM
Quote from: bob48 on August 08, 2012, 01:45:16 PM

I still can't make dry-brushing look quite right on my figures.  However, I use it when I build terrain and it really adds to the finished look.

Part of the secret to dry brushing is to have very little paint. Dab the brush in the paint, then wipe maybe 70 - 80% off. Then do the dry brush.

bob48

^Absolutely. Its a skill worth gaining, without doubt.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

TheCommandTent

Just finished up some 28mm archers for my campaign world.  I call them The Archers of Ashwood.  You can read their backstory on my blog.

http://thecommandtent.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-archers-of-ashwood.html

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 12, 2012, 04:14:27 PM

Just finished up some 28mm archers for my campaign world.  I call them The Archers of Ashwood.  You can read their backstory on my blog.

Very nice.

Staggerwing

They are good! What do you use for the grass? It looks thinner than what I've seen on most of the minis out there.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

Thanks guys!

@Stagger - I am just using Woodlands Scenics Medium Green static grass flock

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/FL635/page/1

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 12, 2012, 04:14:27 PM

Is the third guy from the left a medieval Chuck Norris? I think that might be cheating... ;D