I need a new graphics card

Started by JudgeDredd, January 17, 2018, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Any ideas?

I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 7950 with 3GB of DDR5 memory. I'm not necessarily stuck with AMD - I did use to buy NVidia. I think the most limiting factor is probably the space in my case. I can't have a particularly long card. Current card is over 10" long and (luckily) the power points are at the top (no space between the back of the card and the hard drive cases.

I think I want 6-8GB.
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

JD,

I just purchased a new card last year, my first in over 8 years.  I did it at the same time I built my new PC, so getting a case for the card was not an issue.

1.  I was and AMD person also.  Would have gone with an 580, but due to the crypto miners, the prices on those was unreasonable.  For about the same cost at the time, I ended up with a 1080 that included a water cooler for it.  Specifically this https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6288-KR.

2.  I probably got more card than what I really need, but I know I won't purchase another for another 8+ years.

3.  Both AMD and NVIDIA have technology that help with tearing and stuttering issues for monitors.  The AMD tech seems to use an industry standard, thus minimul or no extra cost.  NVIDIA has developed their own tech, that addess $300 to a monitor.  If you not playing games, or those issues don't bother you, then it's not an issue.  Just want you to be aware of it before you purshase.  Theres a section in this article about adaptive refresh that explains it more.  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/monitor-buying-guide,4559.html#p3

4.  The card I got require a larger PSU as there are 2 connections from the PSU to the GPU.  Keep that in mind when shopping. 

Hope that helps.  I'm sure others here can be of more help. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JudgeDredd

Excellent. Thanks OJ.

I'm hankering on the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 Ti
https://www.ebuyer.com/819386-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-windforce-graphics-card-gv-n107twf2-8gd

eBuyer refused my payment for some reason, so it gave me some time to go and check if there's actual graphic issues. I've increased system RAM which has helped hugely. I now should check whether it's my CPUs (which I doubt) or my GPU that's struggling and then I'll make a decision.

I was keeping the money for a new bike - but I might wait until next year for that.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

I have the 1070 with 8gb of memory. It handles everything I've thrown at it with ease.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on January 18, 2018, 06:22:37 PM
I have the 1070 with 8gb of memory. It handles everything I've thrown at it with ease.  O0
O0
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

One more thing on the AMD and Nvidia tech in monitors.  If you get an Nvidia GPU you can get a monitor with the AMD adaptive tech, just cannot use it.  Whether you need it or not really depends on your gaming. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JudgeDredd

Thanks OJ

I pumped for this in the end

https://www.ebuyer.com/819386-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-windforce-graphics-card-gv-n107twf2-8gd

I'm hoping to be able to crank all the DCS settings up - but we'll see. CPU might show as the next issue.  :-"
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

ok JD, lets talk about the horrid wire management.......
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 20, 2018, 01:22:49 PM
ok JD, lets talk about the horrid wire management.......
lol...please don't make me.

Funny thing is - if I was to make a PC for someone, it would look nothing like this.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Had a bit of a mare. I knew this was 15mm longer than my original card, but I was confident it would fit.

I took my old card out and - the new one wouldn't fit. I decided to take all the cables off all my drives and remove the HD cage. No joy. This damn thing wouldn't come out. I was convinced one of the slides was caught on something. I got my daughter to come in and stand on one side of the case...I stood on the other and pulled and pulled and pulled and it wouldn't budge.

If I didn't get that cage out, I wouldn't get the card in.

Then my daughter said "Don't you undo those screws?"  :pullhair:

Slipped out. Card slid in. Cage back in (no screws this time). Cables on. Done.

First item on the agenda...fire up DCS and whack all the graphics settings up

Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

I hope you paid her an adequate consulting fee.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 20, 2018, 03:52:47 PM
I hope you paid her an adequate consulting fee.
She's well looked after.
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

O0

I really had no doubt. Enjoy the new card!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

GDS_Starfury

This is what it should look like.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Dude! Show some image size discipline!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys