Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: malize on December 17, 2018, 11:53:37 AM
Populists are for acquittal, I'm very leery of each turns censorial sitting becoming a license to pogrom — won't be too long before most factions would be vulnerable to elimination if we keep on that way; I apologize if that disappoints others, I get the goal here, just wish there was a better method than state sanctioned murder (with tit for tat potential)

I have to  agree with Malize.  I didn't agree at first when this question was posed, but on reflection, but it seems like we are setting up for a Roman version of McBeth, and without much justification.  However, its a pretty close question.  The militarists are going cast all their votes for acquittal-this time.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

That's 16 more votes, bringing the net total up to +46!  :o

AzTank votes next, then Erax.

If no Player other than I.I. votes against Acquittal (a real possibility at this point), then Valerius will lose a point of Influence....

Edited to add: AzTank may be traveling this week, so this might be the start of various holiday-delays.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

My guys vote to aquit.  Also yes to frog keeping pontmax
I
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

That leaves Erax's Progressives!

I suspect, though I won't be sure until I can check later tonight, that we've passed the point where the 'invisible' senator votes can threaten Acilius with a loss, even if Erax votes against Acquittal.

JasonPratt

Okay, we're technically past the point where the Progressive votes could possibly flip the Trial to Conviction. The net vote (already counting the Aristocrats presumably) was +46 before the Conservatives weighed in, and jumped another 9 points to 55. The 'invisible' senators could only at most vote -20, and Erax could only add -8-3 = -11 more votes. -31 votes won't drop 55 below 0.

If all the Players voted against the Censor, then he'd lose an Influence point, but by putting himself last it doesn't matter to I.I. whether Erax votes for or against acquittal: the Censor in Trials is not obligated to vote against Acquittal. So if (as might happen) everyone votes against him, he'd just agree at the end, and avoid the 1 Inf penalty loss.

Nor would there be any other effect to counting Erax's votes pro or con.

Consequently, the Trial effectively ends here.

Edited to add processed results:

The Frog never got around to announcing an Advocate for Acilius, so Acilius defended himself. Consequently, he doesn't gain any influence for his win.

Cornelius as the designated Prosecutor loses 3 Influence, down from 15 to 12. Total Aristocrat Influence is now 44.

Since there can be only one Major Investigation per Senate Phase (not counting Specials for Assassination conspiracy), this ends the Prosecutions. Valerius hands the PM duties back over to Junius of the Populists.  With the Prosecution over, everyone loses their Suspicion marks until next Turn.

This also ends all Mandatory Business. Other Business is now open for consideration, e.g. Raising one or more of the next three (11th thru 13th) Legions; Deploying one or more Forces to hit Wars; and possibly attempting to remove the PontMax Office from Acilius by direct Senatorial vote (though that will need more than 66% majority.)

JasonPratt

On the question of a possible Proposal to Remove Acilius from PontMaxiness ;) ....

We already know (because he said so) that AzTank's Conservatives will vote against that proposal, so with his activist ability thus activated he'll muster (9+4) 13 votes; and the Frog can be expected to vote against it, so that's another 14. Thus 27 votes minimum against.

Maximum votes in favor would be I.I.'s 14 (can't activate activists) + Tripoli's 16 + Malize's 14 + Erax's activist (8+3) 11. Thus 55 votes maximum for.

Absolute total would be 82. 55/82 = jusssssst barely over 66%. Specifically, 0.6707317 (rounded 67.1%)

So the Proposal would work, but only if everyone votes against the Plutocrat / Conservative stand, AND only if the Frog doesn't have a Tribune in his hand. (He does have two cards face-down.)

malize

For simplicities sake I'll lay out the issues for the senate to vote on by bullet point and factions can vote in any order on each item (these are all yea/nay)

1) raise all available legions

2) place all legions under field consul vs 1st samnite war (iirc)

3) remove acilius as pontmax

4) appoint calpurnicus of the progressives as new pont max

Jason step in if I've messed something up

JasonPratt

Malize, those are all fine, though keep in mind that once the Field Consul (Julius iirc) leaves for battle, he won't be available to add his votes to the Senate. So timing could be an issue there.

JasonPratt

Just to be clear, Malize, in calling for the vote, you're making those Proposals official. That doesn't necessarily mean you've voted on them yourself yet; so that will need a little clarification.

malize

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 18, 2018, 10:08:42 PM
Malize, those are all fine, though keep in mind that once the Field Consul (Julius iirc) leaves for battle, he won't be available to add his votes to the Senate. So timing could be an issue there.

So the fc is dispatched as soon as there's enough votes in favor to send him?  Just for clarification

Erax

Sorry guys, I've been away a few days. Can I retroactively vote for conviction and get the faction Influence bonus?

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on December 19, 2018, 04:38:08 AM
Sorry guys, I've been away a few days. Can I retroactively vote for conviction and get the faction Influence bonus?

You can only get the bonus if your position wins. E.g. if you vote for Conviction, he'd have to be Convicted for your senators with knights to get the influence bonus. But that turned out to be impossible in this case: too much majority in favor of Acquittal.

Or that's currently the rule. I thought about having activist-knight senators get the Influence win or lose for making political hay out of the situation, and I may still go to that. I took a little more conservative position for testing game balance: figuring I could add it a lot less painfully later, than take it out if it overbalanced too much!

As things stand, I'm not sure the Progressives are being given enough encouragement (or temptation ;) ) to trigger their activist abilities by choosing to vote critically (including against themselves where appropriate). So I have been thinking about adjusting the rule upward, so to speak, so that any activist Progressive vote adds the influence bonus. But if so, I may halve the influence gain. (Currently at 2, or 4 for voting critically against yourself.)