I preordered an HTC Vive Cosmos!!!

Started by Ubercat, September 18, 2019, 06:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Now I have to wait about a month to get it.  :-\

My wife wisely made me try out VR before ordering a system so yesterday I went to a VR cafe and rented 15 minutes of VR time for $10. It was amazing. I started with a simple zombie game and got through two levels in 6 minutes or so and then jumped into Google earth for the rest of my time. I stood amongst Philadelphia skyscrapers like Godzilla and then popped down to street level in front of my old apt building.

I've already said that it was amazing. This will sound strange, but what made it even more exciting was how crappy it was. They were using 3-4 year old 1st gen equipment. Resolution was poor. Everything was kind of blurry. Text was hard to read, etc. What I have coming will be much better. I can't wait.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Moreb

NERDS!

Really. It sounds awesome. I can only imagine where this is going and how realistic it will become. As a kid of the 80's I remember when VR came out to the public at strange specialty shops in the mall that had a total of 2 primitive systems and an outrageous price to 'play'. It was a fad then and quickly disappeared about the time a holographic game came out that they said will be the future of gaming. It too then disappeared, never to be expanded upon.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken this long to gain steam. I played for about a half hour Resident Evil 7(?) and it was surreal. Maybe too much so for me. But other games and sims could very well be the best thing ever. I haven't looked at any vr, but I imagine a good racing game couldn't be too far away. The possibilities seem endless.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Bardolph

Picked up a Rift S a couple days ago, and it is pretty cool, but I am on the fence about returning it.
Got it mostly for simracing, and perhaps flying if I get back into that. And it IS cool to sit IN the car and be able to look around, especially the open wheelers, where I really got a sense of the size of the vehicle that I never got on monitors, even triples.
But it is pretty damn blurry, the "sweet spot" for me is very small, basically if I am not looking straight at that little area everything goes blurry. It also feels like I'm driving looking through a tube. There is no peripheral vision. I know helmets don't allow much either, but more than I'm getting. And coming from triples, where I can see to the sides like in my street car it has taken some getting used to. Still the sensation of "being there" is hard to beat. And it was tough to go back to triples when I wanted a comparison. Seemed like everything was so far away, even though it is the same settings I've used for ages.

Other than iRacing (where it works pretty well) and KartKraft (where it didn't do as well) I've only messed about with the Rift intro and game called QuiVr, and the sense of being there was very cool. Except for the blurry thing. I don't have a lot of room around my computer for the more active games, and with QuiVr I was hitting the imaginary fence pretty often. The game itself was just shooting a bow and arrow at mobs, but the implementation was pretty neat.

Going to install DCS or Rise of Flight or something to try a flight sim, but at this point left wondering if it's worth the $$$. I WANT to like it.
Good luck with your Vive!   :)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bardolph on September 18, 2019, 09:10:48 PM
But it is pretty damn blurry, the "sweet spot" for me is very small, basically if I am not looking straight at that little area everything goes blurry.

This is my experience with the PSVR, I was actually pretty disappointed and I hadn't realised it was even a thing.  The slightest movement of the headset on my head meant another few minutes of adjusting the bloody thing again.  Current VR is cool, but there's plenty of room for it to get cooler.

Jarhead0331

You cannot compare psvr to the AAA headsets designed and built for PCs. The current gen of PC headsets are far superior.

I've really enjoyed my Rift S, and although I also was blown away by my first headset, the HTC Vive, I found the Rift S to be much better, at least for flight simming in DCS. Having flown in VR, I do not think I could ever go back to the 2D monitor experience with trackIR.

I'm planning on getting a Cosmos or an Index as my next upgrade, but haven't settled on one yet. Waiting until the new rig gets here and my new office is set up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

My eyes hurt listening to all this, and I'm not even hearing what I'm seeing! ......um, so to speak.  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

The biggest issue I have with VR goggles and gaming is, "Think about how much better it will be in 2 more years!"

By that logic, I should buy my first set of goggles about the time they quit making any!   ;D

Con

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 19, 2019, 07:46:48 AM
The biggest issue I have with VR goggles and gaming is, "Think about how much better it will be in 2 more years!"

By that logic, I should buy my first set of goggles about the time they quit making any!   ;D
This is my issue as well. I tried vr at an arcade and was blown away by it. I want to get the tech but when I honestly think about it the games I play are 90% not suited for vr like wite or armored brigade etc. I also believe that the next couple of years will see a lot of improvements in this tech and hopefully content that would take advantage of the tech that I would be interested in (the new cmano perhaps?)

Con

Con

JasonPratt

That reminds me to check on how that amazing demo, of WW2 being played on a spherical world map to scale, is going... (That would be very much a VR strategy game, someday.) Um, what was it...? Ah, yes, Military Operations.

Hm, no apparent development for 11 months.  :'(

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA967cczrTQIMqFffPjuByQ
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 19, 2019, 05:48:53 AM
You cannot compare psvr to the AAA headsets designed and built for PCs. The current gen of PC headsets are far superior.

Apparently not, if Bardolph's experience with his Rift matches mine with my PSVR!  :2funny:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 19, 2019, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 19, 2019, 05:48:53 AM

Apparently not, if Bardolph's experience with his Rift matches mine with my PSVR!  :2funny:

I suspect his settings may be the source of much of his problem. You think?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

I've no idea.  I simply found it interesting that we'd had the exact same issue.

Jarhead0331

Resolution on the Rift S is 1280 x 1440 per eye for a total resolution of 2560 x 1440. PSVR on the other hand is 960 x 1080. Max FOV on the Rift S is also 110, compared to PSVR at 100, not to mention the room scale experience on Rift S, no external cameras and controllers that blow the PS wands out of the water.

Hardware-wise, there is no comparison, especially if your concern is blurriness. I'm not saying the Rift S experience is perfect, but it is in a whole different league from what PSVR can offer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Father Ted

Quote from: Bardolph on September 18, 2019, 09:10:48 PM

Going to install DCS or Rise of Flight or something to try a flight sim, but at this point left wondering if it's worth the $$$. I WANT to like it.
Good luck with your Vive!   :)

Not sure you want to bother with RoF: one of the selling points of Flying Circus vs RoF is VR-support.

I'm with others in this thread - VR looks like something I'll get for flight-simming when the tech is better (and dare I say cheaper).

Jarhead0331

The whole lot of you are curmudgeons who don't understand how to get the most out of the technology.  :pullhair: With the right rig and the right settings, a good VR headset is worth every penny.   :bd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog