Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: Tamas on April 10, 2019, 05:05:21 AM
Quote from: devoncop on April 10, 2019, 02:01:03 AM
Just watched the first half of the Twitch stream referred to by Jarhead above....

First thing to say is "Wow"

Imperator Rome has its combat mechanics seriously embarrassed by the mechanics of those of Field of Glory:Empires.

There are a lot of nuances in the combat even if you choose not to play out all the battles in the Field of Glory 2 tactical battle system and it is anything but the "rock paper scissors" formula of Imperator.

As for the Empire building aspect the numbers and variety of buildings is remarkable and the "Legacy", Culture and Decadence aspects of each Empire are looking to be a fascinating juggling task for every leader.

It was interesting to see that starting buildings and resources will be randomly generated in each province (though specific nations still get their unique buildings) at the start up of each game so replayabilty will be optimised.

Plenty more to see as this stream concentrated on a very small area of a huge map as the challenge dictated but this really does seem like the release of the year for me . :smitten:

Glad you liked it. :) To be precise regarding the buildings: the starting buildings are defined by the scenario, what's semi-randomly generated is the buildings avaialble for construction at a given time. By "semi-random" I mean that you always get one option in each main category, and some buildings have a bigger chance to show up as an option in a given region, for various reasons.

Thanks Tamas.

That makes sense. The point about repeatability stands though. What may be an optimum path one game in terms of development may not be the next as the building choices may not be available at the same time and a commercial hub one game may make more sense as a troop generation hub the next.....
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Tamas

Quote from: devoncop on April 10, 2019, 09:18:33 AM

That makes sense. The point about repeatability stands though. What may be an optimum path one game in terms of development may not be the next as the building choices may not be available at the same time and a commercial hub one game may make more sense as a troop generation hub the next.....

Yes, that's the intention.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: devoncop on April 10, 2019, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 10, 2019, 04:08:24 AM
I'm not watching the twitch stream. I'm playing the game.

Ah....thanks for the clarification.

Though knowing someone is already playing the beta is not helping my diminishing reserves of patience 😢

its a very limited beta release for press and Slitherine is doing a phased roll-out for previews and coverage. They are releasing the beta in a series of "challenges" with limited scenarios and objectives. The first, and the one I was playing, is Rise of Rome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

Quote from: jomni on April 10, 2019, 08:27:10 AM
Quote from: mbar on April 10, 2019, 07:50:07 AM
@Jarhead0331 is the battle screenshot from Field of Glory 2 integration into FoG Empires? Or is it all from Empires?

That's the Empires version of the battle.

Thank you. Empires is looking great!!!!

CJReich46

Nice battle screens.

Impressive...most impressive. 

Me Want.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

al_infierno

Game looks great!  Can't wait to pick this up.

Do you have any control over the FoG:E battles at all beyond army composition/stance?  Or is it pretty much fully automated?

EDIT:  Also, I picked up Mare Nostrvm based on the feedback in this thread.  Three battles in and I'm f'ing loving it!!  What an awesome little gem -- a very unique tactical challenge  \m/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: al_infierno on April 10, 2019, 05:12:32 PM
Do you have any control over the FoG:E battles at all beyond army composition/stance?  Or is it pretty much fully automated?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408566742 (same video on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sSomUSZgrs)

Much less control than FOG2.  In the video I don't see Das do much more than press the play button during combat.  Most battles are finished in a few minutes.

During combat halve the screen is devoted to die rolls what takes away some of the immersion I feel.

Anguille

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 11, 2019, 03:42:24 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on April 10, 2019, 05:12:32 PM

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408566742 (same video on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sSomUSZgrs)

Much less control than FOG2.  In the video I don't see Das do much more than press the play button during combat.  Most battles are finished in a few minutes.

During combat halve the screen is devoted to die rolls what takes away some of the immersion I feel.

Yes. It is a downgrade from what Slitherine had in Spartan/Legion/Chariots of War...there wasn't a lot of control but it was for me. In this case, you have to launch FOG2 every time you want to control the battle which i hope won't be too cumbersome.

Tanaka

Was excited about this game as I thought the battles would be like FOG2 but I am just seeing two armies on top of each other? What happened to FOG2 battles?

jomni

Quote from: Tanaka on April 18, 2019, 09:02:15 PM
Was excited about this game as I thought the battles would be like FOG2 but I am just seeing two armies on top of each other? What happened to FOG2 battles?
You have an option to play out in FoG2 but not necessary.
The game can be played by itself.

Tanaka

Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2019, 09:18:59 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on April 18, 2019, 09:02:15 PM
You have an option to play out in FoG2 but not necessary.
The game can be played by itself.

How does that work? You go in and out of two different games? Do you need all of the DLC? Where is this explained?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tanaka

Quote from: Gusington on April 22, 2019, 03:30:20 PM
Tons of detail here:

http://www.slitherine.com/products/789/details/Field.of.Glory.Empires

Thanks will be interesting to see how it all works together and if you need all of the DLC?

Gusington

Not sure if you need any of the DLC. That was one area not touched on in that link.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd