Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: devoncop on July 12, 2019, 06:20:47 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on July 12, 2019, 06:00:27 AM
I need to watch the Tutorials as didnt find it very user friendly tbh

I would recommend the Dastactic you tube series for the Carthage mini challenge.

That plus a quick read of the manual did the job for me.

Agreed...the Dastactic YouTube series is a must watch as he explains not only what to do during a turn but why he is doing it, he goes out of his way to explain what's going on.

FlickJax

bbmike

[bobnewhartvoice]
You...you know...you know there is a...a...manual in the...uh...in the installation directory.
[/bobnewhartvoice]
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FlickJax

No printer and I hate PDFs with all my being

Gusington

I MUST read the manual. I am hoping it makes everything more comprehensive for my lizard brain.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

I wish you could make some decisions for the battles, like in Dominions, hopefully in the future.

devoncop

Quote from: Tuna on July 12, 2019, 08:43:53 AM
I wish you could make some decisions for the battles, like in Dominions, hopefully in the future.

The decisions largely amount to army selection, General selection and choosing whether to engage in a particular terrain.
Dominions style choices for army tactics don't make too much sense in an ancient setting where tactics were pretty standardised.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

W8taminute

Quote from: Rayfer on July 12, 2019, 07:03:31 AM
Quote from: devoncop on July 12, 2019, 06:20:47 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on July 12, 2019, 06:00:27 AM
I need to watch the Tutorials as didnt find it very user friendly tbh

I would recommend the Dastactic you tube series for the Carthage mini challenge.

That plus a quick read of the manual did the job for me.

Agreed...the Dastactic YouTube series is a must watch as he explains not only what to do during a turn but why he is doing it, he goes out of his way to explain what's going on.

Dastactic makes great videos in general.  He's always very thorough in his explanations.  Sometimes a bit too thorough.  If he were to create two sets of videos when he goes into explanations about how games work that would be much much better.  One set of videos could be the quick and dirty guide whilst the other set can be devoted to the meticulous explanations.  I find with his videos that if I'm not grabbed by the game and the quick overview of said game I'm not going to bother watching the long winded explanation. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

A bit contrarian I know...but a few hours in and the game has not grabbed me yet.  My sizable gut feels that the game is "good" but not "great."

I do love FOG and agree that the FOG battle resolution feature is everything I could want....well maybe I would like some more chrome...in terms of tracking units and generals between the two layers...but that would be picky...

Still the strategic layer just feels "lite" to me. I feel like there is a whole bunch of information being given to me...but not many things I can actually do with it.

Haven't gotten to the "just one more turn" place with it yet.

Sometimes it takes me a while to warm up to a game...and given all of the good feelings everyone else is having...I am guessing I'll get there with more time.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 12, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
A bit contrarian I know...but a few hours in and the game has not grabbed me yet.  My sizable gut feels that the game is "good" but not "great."

I do love FOG and agree that the FOG battle resolution feature is everything I could want....well maybe I would like some more chrome...in terms of tracking units and generals between the two layers...but that would be picky...

Still the strategic layer just feels "lite" to me. I feel like there is a whole bunch of information being given to me...but not many things I can actually do with it.

Haven't gotten to the "just one more turn" place with it yet.

Sometimes it takes me a while to warm up to a game...and given all of the good feelings everyone else is having...I am guessing I'll get there with more time.

What aspect exactly is the information you are given that you feel you can't do a lot with if you don't mind me asking ?

Are you finding it too easy or are you having problems but are not sure why?

Gusington

I am doing reasonably well and finding it a bit suspect 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on July 12, 2019, 11:48:46 AM
I am doing reasonably well and finding it a bit suspect 😎

Let's talk again after 500 years .... :o

Gusington

Are you threatening Pontus?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Barthheart

So last night I read the first bit of the manual and chapter 17 as suggested in the manual and then jumped into the short 15 turn scenario with Rome.
Poked around at all the areas I owned, recruited a few troops, starting build an archery building then hit next turn.
And got stomped just like W8minute about 2 turns later.... hmmmm. Fun? not really.

So start again. Just recruit as much as I can in Rome for 2 turns to get a larger army that my enemy. Crush his army in battle then siege his capital, which turns out was not his capital, then siege and conquer his actual capital and win the scenario on turn 13.... having done nothing else, including just ignoring all the "decisions" that came up. Hmmmm... Fun? not really.

That first short scenario maybe fairly useless and I hope not representative of the game.

Will take a stab at the campaign this weekend as maybe so out of the way nation or tribe so I can play around a bit without getting stomped....