What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 30, 2012, 11:06:56 PM

I don't know what Dark Age is...

It's Paradox France's new Eye of Sauron DLC for the forthcoming Nappy game...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 30, 2012, 11:06:56 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on January 30, 2012, 09:25:06 PM
I've got several Dark Age minis and terrain pieces in various stages of completion on my table.  More importantly I have terrain laid out on my gaming table ready to fight the second skirmish in my solo campaign.  You can see a sneak peak of the table set up here on my blog.

http://thecommandtent.blogspot.com/2012/01/game-table-setup-sneak-peak.html

I don't know what Dark Age is, but that setup looks amazing!

Thanks!  The post should have said 'Dark Ages' minis.  Basically your Vikings, Saxons, Celts etc.  Actually the campaign I am creating I am calling my 'Dark Age Fantasy Campaign' so I can add some fantasy elements to it and get away with not being totally historically accurate. you can read about my plans for it here   http://thecommandtent.blogspot.com/2011/08/dark-age-fantasy-campaign-intro.html

I hope to get the next battle report up sometime this week.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Toonces

The last boardgame I played was Castle Ravenloft which is a D&D minis type boardgame.  It was fun, but my wife's eyes rolled back into her head while we were playing it.

I think I've successfully overcome my urge to buy monster wargames that I know I'll never play and I find myself focusing on collecting games with a solo component that I might actually get to someday.

I've been eyeballing a boardgame called Mage Knight that should be up for reprint around May as my next purchase.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on February 01, 2012, 12:22:40 AMI've been eyeballing a boardgame called Mage Knight that should be up for reprint around May as my next purchase.

If you're ever at one of the cons, you can pick up scads of the MageKnight click-base figs for dirt-freakin'-cheap there.  You can usually get them at $1-3/booster box.  I pick up truckloads of them, and shave the ones I want off their bases and glue them to smaller ones to use for D&D games.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2012, 06:41:52 AM
Quote from: Toonces on February 01, 2012, 12:22:40 AMI've been eyeballing a boardgame called Mage Knight that should be up for reprint around May as my next purchase.

If you're ever at one of the cons, you can pick up scads of the MageKnight click-base figs for dirt-freakin'-cheap there.  You can usually get them at $1-3/booster box.  I pick up truckloads of them, and shave the ones I want off their bases and glue them to smaller ones to use for D&D games.

Other than the name, the new Mage Knight boardgame has nothing to do with the old click-base figure game. It is a new grand adventure RPG game that is sort of set in the same universe. I, too, wanted to get it, but it told out before I could grab it. Not that anyone would play it with me anyway!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Toonces

@Brant, yes, I've been eyeballing lots of MK figures on ebay for that specific purpose.  But, the thing is, I don't really need any figures for D&D right now, so I'm not sure why I was looking at picking up figures anyway!

The boardgame is what I was actually referring to.  It's pretty pricey now since it went out of print, but I'm definitely planning on picking it up when it reprints again.  I've seen it referred to as a lite version of Magic Realm. 

I understand you can play it solo.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on February 01, 2012, 01:35:13 PM
so I'm not sure why I was looking at picking up figures anyway!

c'mon - you know why!  You're a gamer - it's what we do  :o
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Toonces on February 01, 2012, 01:35:13 PM
@Brant, yes, I've been eyeballing lots of MK figures on ebay for that specific purpose.  But, the thing is, I don't really need any figures for D&D right now, so I'm not sure why I was looking at picking up figures anyway!

The boardgame is what I was actually referring to.  It's pretty pricey now since it went out of print, but I'm definitely planning on picking it up when it reprints again.  I've seen it referred to as a lite version of Magic Realm. 

I understand you can play it solo.

Not only can you play it solo, but the buzz is that MK:tBG is one of the BEST solo-play experiences to be had with tabletop gaming. I intend to get the reprint, as soon as I can swing it.

I saw that they released a Pathfinder Battles pre-painted minis. I don't think there is a "game" attached to them, but you can use them when playing the PnP RPG Pathfinder or just incorporate them into any fantasy game with minis. Personally, I think they should have created a loose tactical system based on the RPGs rules so you could play mock battles.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 02:12:10 PMPersonally, I think they should have created a loose tactical system based on the RPGs rules so you could play mock battles.

so, uh...  D&D minis.  ;D

http://ddmguild.com/rules-and-cards

Jack Nastyface

I'm tinking with creating a scenario (very suitable for solo play) for Lock n' Load Day of Heroes that is based on a US rescue of hostages held by Somali pirates.  I started off not wanting to create any special rules / conditions but I have since migrated to a format that requires a bit of unit and mapboard randomness.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on February 01, 2012, 02:38:48 PM
I'm tinking with creating a scenario (very suitable for solo play) for Lock n' Load Day of Heroes that is based on a US rescue of hostages held by Somali pirates.  I started off not wanting to create any special rules / conditions but I have since migrated to a format that requires a bit of unit and mapboard randomness.

And you're gonna feed that to us over at GN, right?! ;D

Jack Nastyface

Not only will I float that over your way...I was also thinking I might submit it for publication with LnL themselves.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

J P Falcon

Have 2 solitaire games set up right now that I'm learning...."Field Commander Napoleon" from DVG and for stranger fare, "All Things Zombie" from Lock n' Load....

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2012, 02:20:28 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 02:12:10 PMPersonally, I think they should have created a loose tactical system based on the RPGs rules so you could play mock battles.

so, uh...  D&D minis.  ;D

http://ddmguild.com/rules-and-cards

Yes, only less sucky.

Did you all see there was a release of Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes on Tuesday? A Vietnam one.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/Lock+%5C%27n+Load%3A+Forgotten+Heroes+-+Vietnam/Acc-LLPLocknLoadForgottenHeroes2/#Lock%20%27n%20Load:%20Forgotten%20Heroes%20-%20Vietnam

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Jack Nastyface

Yeah...LnL:FH was the game that started it all for them.  This is V2...much nicer graphics, latest rules, and some tweaked units, I think.

definately recommend this series.  As much as I wanted to get into ASL, I just couldn't bear the multitude of rules.  LnL simplies things (which means you give up detail and variety) but gameplay becomes straightforward.