FRIDAYs and Outsiders

Started by MetalDog, May 15, 2020, 06:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I'm on the next to last major mission in Xenonauts - attacking an Alien Battleship which was shot down which has a Praetor on board that you MUST capture and not kill.

I also started a new board game of simple complexity and am enjoying Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME) which is a polished, turn-based, single character rogue system.  I've been killed off six times thus far but I'm improving.

jamus34

Quote from: airboy on May 15, 2020, 11:33:41 PM
I'm on the next to last major mission in Xenonauts - attacking an Alien Battleship which was shot down which has a Praetor on board that you MUST capture and not kill.

I also started a new board game of simple complexity and am enjoying Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME) which is a polished, turn-based, single character rogue system.  I've been killed off six times thus far but I'm improving.

Congrats on getting close to then end of Xenonauts.  I never gave that game enough love it deserved.

TOME is a true hidden treasure. So much depth in there.

Which board game might I ask? I've been pulling out Too Many Bones on the weekends but it's hard. I can do passibly well playing a 3 gearloc party but dropping down to two I am always getting owned. Haven't even attempted a true solo run yet. 
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Quote from: Martok on May 15, 2020, 10:55:47 PM
Good song, MD!  Hadn't heard that one before, but I enjoyed it.  O0 

Glad you liked it, Martok!  It's a favorite of the local rock station's DJs.  I didn't like it at first, but, it has grown on me.  Haven't seen Moreb around in a bit.  I've got the feeling he would dig it, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on May 15, 2020, 10:55:47 PM
Quote from: Anguille on May 15, 2020, 09:44:11 AM
- Pax Nova

After playing Astra Exodus last week with the beta patch, i'll wait until a new version comes out.
Sounds like Astra Exodus still isn't ready for "primetime", I take it... 

You enjoying Pax Nova? 
I am not sure if he'll manage to get rid of these ever recurring bugs his game has. I wish it would be at least bug free (or just minor bugs). We'll see with the next patch. Otherwise, the game plays like MOO2, but not as good. And the visuals of the galaxy map are just terrible. I played one game of MOO1 and MOO2 each this week and they both still look a lot better. The battles are fun but less involved than in MOO games i feel.

Pax Nova is pretty decent. It's not the greatest game ever done but it's much more solid. They keep on progressing.

Anguille

I ended up playing mostly a campaign of Master of Orion 2. It is still such a masterpiece and so well-thought. Apart from the micromanagement at then end (which could be solved by solid AI governors, Dev plans or pre-set build queues), this is still the most complete 4x ever released.

Otherwise, i progressed in my Empire Total War campaign (had to restart part 3 and won the battle at Bunker Hill) and completed one game of Astra Exodus (will wait for the new patch before trying the campaign again).

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on May 17, 2020, 04:18:15 AM
I am not sure if he'll manage to get rid of these ever recurring bugs his game has. I wish it would be at least bug free (or just minor bugs). We'll see with the next patch. Otherwise, the game plays like MOO2, but not as good. And the visuals of the galaxy map are just terrible. I played one game of MOO1 and MOO2 each this week and they both still look a lot better. The battles are fun but less involved than in MOO games i feel.
Thanks, Anguille.  Not really surprising, but still a bummer to hear. 

Quote from: Anguille on May 17, 2020, 04:18:15 AM
Pax Nova is pretty decent. It's not the greatest game ever done but it's much more solid. They keep on progressing.
I'm glad to hear it.  I just hope the dev keeps supporting the game.  I still have no faith in him after Lords of the Black Sun and Dawn of Andromeda.  He's like Dan DiCicco, minus the acerbic personality.  ::) 

Quote from: Anguille on May 18, 2020, 02:23:07 AM
I ended up playing mostly a campaign of Master of Orion 2. It is still such a masterpiece and so well-thought. Apart from the micromanagement at then end (which could be solved by solid AI governors, Dev plans or pre-set build queues), this is still the most complete 4x ever released.
Man, I wish I could get into MOO2, but it's always eluded me for some reason.  Maybe because I didn't play the game back in its heyday?  :-\  I don't know. 

Of course, I never got into MOO1 either, but I've enjoyed what time I've spent with the ROTP beta so far.  (Yet another 4x I haven't played enough of. ::) :buck2: )  I wonder if in this case, its simplicity and macro-managing is why it has an edge over its sequel. 

Quote from: Anguille on May 18, 2020, 02:23:07 AM
Otherwise, i progressed in my Empire Total War campaign (had to restart part 3 and won the battle at Bunker Hill) and completed one game of Astra Exodus (will wait for the new patch before trying the campaign again).
Ironically, I had little patience with the American Revolution tutorial in ETW.  (Perhaps because I never wanted to play as "myself".)  Now, Britain or Prussia, on the other hand...  :D 

I'm still devoutly hoping for a proper sequel to Empire someday.  It was great in concept, but deeply flawed in execution. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Lords of the black sun was a terrible game. I've had fun with Dawn of Andromeda which is much much better. He has a problem with the last details and most of all with communication.

I think you really should try to complete at least one game in MOO2. It took me about 5-6 hours to finish a full campaign. You'll see the beauty of the game only if you have big battles, create your own designs and have some serious diplomatic negociations. But yes, i would think that not playing the game back then makes it more difficult...the graphics are dated. I am also not too tempted at the beginning but once i am in the game, i see mostly the great gameplay. Actually, i prefer the graphics in MOO1 because it isn't as dark.

Empire Total War: i like to complete the campaigns so this is were i am now. What are the flaws you see? The biggest flaw i see for now is that the AI is not using it's fortresses in the battles and i crush them like flies on the battlefield...

MengJiao

Quote from: twitter3 on May 15, 2020, 12:22:52 PM
I picked up Wars of Succession and The 30 Years War with my anniversary coupon yesterday so I will be messing around with them this weekend.

Wars of Succession...I might reinstall that one -- it had its moments.

twitter3

Quote from: MengJiao on May 18, 2020, 06:11:16 AM
Quote from: twitter3 on May 15, 2020, 12:22:52 PM
I picked up Wars of Succession and The 30 Years War with my anniversary coupon yesterday so I will be messing around with them this weekend.

Wars of Succession...I might reinstall that one -- it had its moments.

The time period really interests me and I have liked other Ageod games so I am hoping this one will not let me down. Rise of Prussia will always be on my HD.

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on May 18, 2020, 04:43:47 AM
I think you really should try to complete at least one game in MOO2. It took me about 5-6 hours to finish a full campaign. You'll see the beauty of the game only if you have big battles, create your own designs and have some serious diplomatic negociations. But yes, i would think that not playing the game back then makes it more difficult...the graphics are dated. I am also not too tempted at the beginning but once i am in the game, i see mostly the great gameplay. Actually, i prefer the graphics in MOO1 because it isn't as dark.
Ironically, I think MOO2's early game is where I'm struggling.  And of course, if a game doesn't grab my attention early on, it's hard for me to stick with it.  You telling me that it gets better the further in helps, though, so I'll see about taking another crack at it.  Thanks, Anguille

Quote from: Anguille on May 18, 2020, 04:43:47 AM
Empire Total War: i like to complete the campaigns so this is were i am now. What are the flaws you see? The biggest flaw i see for now is that the AI is not using it's fortresses in the battles and i crush them like flies on the battlefield...
The AI is the the game's single biggest problem as far as I'm concerned, though by no means the only one.  From allies that backstab me for seemingly stupid reasons (or none at all), to musket/rifle units rushing into melee on the battlefield, the AI in Empire is just about the worst I've seen in a Total War game.  It might even be worse than the AI in Rome 1, which is no small feat.  :pullhair: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces