Origins 2014

Started by bayonetbrant, January 30, 2014, 09:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

More info about the staff wargaming team at Origins

Interview w/ Dr James Sterrett about the wargames

WA: If I'm a new participant to this entire process, what should I expect when I walk in the door for one of these games?
JS:  You'll get a job!  Well, at any rate, a job on a staff for the duration of the event.  Jobs include roles such as the commander, the operations officer, and the intel officer.  We'll teach you the basics of that job, and then provide an overview of the US Army's planning process.  Then you start to do your job: you and the others on your staff use the planning process to create a plan for the battle.  Once the plan is complete, or time runs short for planning, we transition to fighting the battle.  At the end, we run a short After Action Review, in which we try to point out things that were done well (or poorly), and to discuss some of the learning points that might have been brought out if this were run at CGSC.

WA: When you're working out the design of the exercises - especially the learning process of the first 30 minutes or so - how do you decide what goes into the game and what gets left out?

JS: The point is to give people a sense of how exercises work and how a staff functions.  The key constraints are time and inexperience:  we have very little time to teach people (CGSC spends over a month on the planning process alone!), and we have to assume that the players have never done anything like this before.
Therefore, we focus only on the bare essentials, and we expect to do a lot of coaching.  That said, players often come back again and again, and it's great to watch repeat players get better and better with practice.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Official Origins Events Listings for the GrogHeads Central Command

Event# Prizes? Date/Time Length?  Event Name                                                                  GM
3277    Yes    Thu 1 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: A Test of Mettle                                         Paul Rohrbaugh
3739    Yes    Fri 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Circle of Fire (ATO)   
4044    Yes    Sat 10 AM   3   GrogHeads Presents: Circle of Fire (ATO)   
3596    Yes    Fri 10 AM   3   GrogHeads Presents: Julius Caesar                                            Jim O.
4045    Yes    Sat 10 AM   3   GrogHeads Presents: Julius Caesar                                            Jim O.
9229    No     Thu 7 PM    2   GrogHeads Presents: Flashpoint Campaigns Q&A with the Designers              Jim Snyder / Rob Crandall
9433    No     Fri 6 PM    2   GrogHeads Presents: Games & Sims for Military Training Seminar               Brant Guillory / James Sterrett
9424    Yes    Fri 3 PM    2   GrogHeads Presents: Learn to Play Flashpoint Campaigns with the Designers    Jim Snyder / Rob Crandall
3217    Yes    Thu 11 AM   3   GrogHeads Presents: Orange Crush (Civil War in the Ukraine)                  Brant Guillory
3218    Yes    Fri 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Orange Crush (Civil War in the Ukraine)                  Brant Guillory
3916    No     Fri 8 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Designer - Ranger!                         Bill Gibbs
3465    No     Thu 7 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Designer - Sergeants! Miniatures Game      Lost Battalion Games
3917    No     Fri 8 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Designer - Spearpoint 1943                 Byron Collins
3886    No     Fri 7 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Publisher - Circle of Fire                 Steve Rawling
3031    Yes    Wed 3 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Ranger!                                                  Chris Pauquette
3564    Yes    Fri 9 AM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Ranger!                                                  Chris Pauquette
3024    Yes    Wed 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game                               Vance Strickland
3178    Yes    Thu 10 AM   3   GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game                               Vance Strickland
3740    Yes    Fri 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game                               Vance Strickland
4007    Yes    Sat 9 AM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game                               Vance Strickland
4143    Yes    Sat 1 PM    4   GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game (Team Game)                   LBG / Vance Strickland
3278    Yes    Thu 1 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Spearpoint 1943                                          JR Sharp
4181    Yes    Sat 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Spearpoint 1943                                          JR Sharp
9402    Yes    Fri 10 AM   4   GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Battle From The Bulge                  Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9605    Yes    Sat 10 AM   4   GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Battle From The Bulge                  Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9214    Yes    Thu 2 PM    4   GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm         Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9630    Yes    Sat 7 PM    4   GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm         Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
3025    Yes    Wed 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron   
3312    Yes    Thu 2 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron   
3597    Yes    Fri 10 AM   3   GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron   
4222    Yes    Sat 3 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron   
4416    Yes    Sun 10 AM   4   GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron (Team Game)   
9230    No     Thu 7 PM    3   GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron series Q&A with the Designers               Bill Jaffe

Double Deuce

I think if I was able to go this year I doubt I'd have not time to see anything else. Thats a seriously packed schedule there.

bayonetbrant

we could've had about 6 more events if 2 of our other vendors had been able to work something out with GAMA :)

bayonetbrant

I just got a call from 1A Games within the past 45 minutes or so, and they have pulled out of Origins.

We will be talking with GAMA about what their plans are to replace one of our anchor booths in the Central Command.

Stay tuned

bayonetbrant

Jeff Horger will be running a Manouevre tournament on Sunday

Here's what he posted at CSW:
QuoteI will be running an 8-player Manoeuvre tournament at Origins this year. It will take place Saturday morning from 10 am to 3 pm. The event number is 4055. The event will include the armies from Distant Lands so you can get an opportunity to see those countries in action if you desire. Help me fill up the event.

bayonetbrant

Here's the current iteration of the events grid for the entire show

http://originsgamefair.com/events/games/

GDS_Starfury

I just browsed a number of travel sites and tickets seem to be about $280 from Florida.

wtf!  a ticket for Gus is $380 and up, most are well into the $400's and its half the distance.
who knew gnomes were so expensive to transport!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 19, 2014, 11:47:19 PMI just browsed a number of travel sites and tickets seem to be about $280 from Florida.
does this mean you're coming?

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 19, 2014, 11:47:19 PMwtf!  a ticket for Gus is $380 and up, most are well into the $400's and its half the distance.
who knew gnomes were so expensive to transport!
once you're within 1 day's drive, the prices inexplicably go up.  I guess they figure if you're going to fly when you're that close, you're going to spend whatever they charge on it.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

BanzaiCat

Next year, hopefully...  :(

Martok

Bloody hell.  I really do need to start planning for 2015. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

if anyone wants to drop in a plug for the staff wargaming events, here's a decent place to do it
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1182948/any-massive-multiplayer-politicalconflict-games-ho

it would especially cool if some of you who have participated would do so (not just Cap'n D and Dr S :) )