Main Menu

Exercise Habits

Started by Bison, July 31, 2012, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on July 31, 2012, 11:47:23 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 31, 2012, 10:40:19 PM
Quote from: Bison on July 31, 2012, 12:10:57 PM
Wow?  Am I the only one who exercises around this joint?

I call it work.   ;D

I'm curious about that whole TRX setup, though. It's good?

Yes it is.  And there are a number of workouts that you can download the video for a pretty reasonable price.  Those work out add more strength, flexibility and such to the routine.  Its really good for those who have limited space, time or money for a bunch of different types of workout equipment.

Well, once my right elbow is un-Fubar'd, I think I may make an investment in it.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Con on July 31, 2012, 11:12:40 PMNow the doc wants me to lose 15-20lbs to get back to my ideal weight again

wow...  losing 15-20lbs would get me...  15-20lbs away from my military-standard weight (I think).

I'm not overweight; I'm undertall

but I dare y'all to go play a 50-minute indoor soccer game with me ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Shelldrake

Back in the day I was an avid runner but my knees and hips can't take the pounding anymore. I settle now for walking 30-60 min each day and cycling on weekends. I also count hauling a push mower around the yard as exercise. ;)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 02, 2012, 05:41:31 AM
Quote from: Con on July 31, 2012, 11:12:40 PMNow the doc wants me to lose 15-20lbs to get back to my ideal weight again

wow...  losing 15-20lbs would get me...  15-20lbs away from my military-standard weight (I think).

If I lived closer I'd take you up on that offer.   :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 02, 2012, 05:41:31 AM

FIFA?  ;)

Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

I'd get killed like I was playing my son
(who, BTW, had an AWESOME night in goal for his new team last night ;D )
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

tonight's 'workout' - a walk with Bayonette

Silent Disapproval Robot

I used to play rugby and lift weights pretty religiously (although I've always had a gut.  Even when I was working as a land surveyor and spent 10-12 hours every day hiking up and down mountains with 30 kilos of gear, I kept the gut) but rugby ended when I hit 35 (took me 3 days to recover from a match) and moving back to Canada, going back to school, and changing careers pretty much killed my gym routine for 4 years.  The end result is that I'm now a sad, fat bastard.

I'm pretty settled now (still looking for a condo or townhouse though) and I'm set to get back into a routine.  I tried the Zone diet when I lived in Japan and it worked reasonably well for me, but I don't see it as an option here (don't have time to prepare meals when I'm working 12 hour shifts).   I've been reading the Body-For-Life book and website and I think I'm going to give that a go.

Anyone wanna do it with me?  It's a 12 week regimen.  Could be good to have someone else involved to motivate/compete with, even if they are faceless web entities.

Staggerwing

I'd give it a go but the whole 'buy our stuff' thing puts me off. I can't afford that kind of output. Can this be done with regular supermarket food? Also, getting the needed workouts in has been my problem. I could try two 10 minute cardios (1 in am and 1 in pm) per day but I don't have (or have room for) any weight equipment (if you don't count lifting my kids off the floor after a tantrum :D).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

My workout regiment has gone to crap over the last few months.  It's been hard to get into a routine.  I've started up again, but it takes a couple of weeks to get over the soreness and into progression.  Whatever you choose stick with it and remember results take time.  Good luck guys.  I know working out helps my mental functions too and as you all know I can get a little wired if I'm not burning off the mental garbage with a good workout.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 06, 2012, 06:02:13 PM
I'd give it a go but the whole 'buy our stuff' thing puts me off. I can't afford that kind of output. Can this be done with regular supermarket food? Also, getting the needed workouts in has been my problem. I could try two 10 minute cardios (1 in am and 1 in pm) per day but I don't have (or have room for) any weight equipment (if you don't count lifting my kids off the floor after a tantrum :D).

As they don't sell the stuff in Canada, I'm just going to wing it.  I already have a few tubs of protein, GABA, Creatine, and vitamin drinks kicking around so it shouldn't be that hard.  What's going to be tough is my work schedule.  I work a pretty strange shift.  2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on (on even months) or 3 days on (odd months), 3 days off (even months) or 2 days off then I switch to 2 nights on, 2 days off, then 3 nights on and then a week off.  Then repeat.  Work days are a write off as I'm at work for 12 hours and commuting for another 30-40 minutes each way. The 6 small meals a day will be a problem as well on work days.

Oh well, all I can do is fail, right?

Staggerwing

True, true.
Are you going to keep some kind of journal? I'll peruse the site a bit more on the weekend and see if it would work with just granola bars, generic protein shakes, and whatever else the Hel I can find at the supermarket. I'm pretty ignorant of whole food supplement thing so I'd have to keep it simple.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

There are alternatives.  Some workouts only require 20-30 minutes a day.  Like crossfit or TRX for example and both can be taylor to the equipment you have like the TRX workout kit with is very compact and can be used nearly anywhere and Crossfit is some weights, kettlebells and pull up and dip bars.  Honestly I'd stay off the protein for awhile to burn off the fat and get your body back into a state its used to working out.  I don't really like creatine.  If you need a protein, whey is a good one to drink before or after a weights session.

Also I know it sounds like a crazy diet, but the paleo diet is pretty easy to follow.  Eat fresh fruits, vegitables and meat.  Stay away from carbohydrates.  I love pasta so this gets hard for me, but you will see results.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  I'll try to keep a journal.  I've already got one for the iPhone that I use to record my daily food intake and exercise.  Seems to be decent enough and I can record nutritional info into it myself if the item's not on the list.

Bison

Clearly you think I'm an asshole so I'll stop with the suggestions now.  Good luck guys.