Non-Wargames on your table right now

Started by bayonetbrant, June 20, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Let's shift the discussion of wheat-trading sheep-shippers and other meeple-related gaming over here, and re-focus the other thread on sabres, bayonets, cannons, and cavalry.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Dang, now I have to find out what Munchkin really is so I can post in here.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Munchkin is the awesome.

Not only did I once have my wife in a game of Munchkin, but we were playing at a football game tailgate, and laughing so hard that the rednecks on either side of us came over to see what was going on, ended up watching for a few, and one of them even jumped in the second game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Looking at my table, I have to ask: where does the game Household Budget Commander fit in? It has logistics and resource allocation, deception and heroic sacrifices, and even an occasional Holiday Stalemate.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Did you try offering the IRS some sheep or iron?

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Tried out Yokohama at the FLGS tonight.  Some of the ugliest game components I've seen since Eclipse but the game itself was interesting.  Simple mechanics but playing effectively is tough and it can be quite the brain burner.  I screwed up and over-committed with my buildings early on and got myself in a hole that took a long time to dig out of.  The winning player almost lapped me on the score track by the end of it. 

Arctic Blast

Picked up Antike II in the math trade that just finished last week. Going to read the rules tonight and hopefully get it on the table this weekend. I've been curious about it for a while, but just not enough to buy it new.

jamus34

Picked up and played code word with my folks. Fun game and very easy to pick up.

Also picked up ticket to ride and will be playing with the two older kids tomorrow.
Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

I'm going to get either City of Iron or Islebound on the table this weekend...

airboy

Set up to play - Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is out.
On the table to show my wife tomorrow upon her return: Munchkin Apocalypse and Star Realms that I either won or was given at LibertyCon.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

Raiders of the North Sea is about to hit the table today.  I gotta start getting games back on the table (made easier, at least in part, by mailing out the stacks of games I have here to the people I promised to send them to a while ago)

Silent Disapproval Robot

My group tried out Hellas, one of the two new expansion maps for Terraforming Mars.  The expansion doesn't add or change any rules.  It just adds two new maps which also include different end game scoring bonuses that players can bid on during play.  I was a bit surprised at just how much these new scoring bonuses affect strategy.  I didn't adapt to the new bonuses as quickly as the others and I ended up paying for it.  I came in last by a considerable margin.