Non-Wargames on your table right now

Started by bayonetbrant, June 20, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on June 22, 2018, 08:14:44 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 21, 2018, 07:31:29 PM
We need to get a whatchamacallit, 'front page'? or somethin' like that...

How would people find such a thing?

I've heard rumors of something called 'hoppertext' or or is it 'hoopertext'? Supposedly it will be able to magically transport you to other places.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

The interwebz are vast and mysterious
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I want to reboot to Restore Point 01/01/1989.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I put my copy of Black Orchestra up for sale today on FB and the listing didn't even last 3 minutes before it sold.  I dutifully trundled off to the post office to ship it to the buyer and, while I was at the mall, I swung by a game store that I don't often frequent.  I was surprised to see that they had a copy of Mage Knight on the shelf as I thought it was sold out everywhere.  Decided that I'd spend my Black Orchestra money (and a bit more) and picked this one up along with the Lost Legion expansion.  I've heard good things about it but I've never seen it played and don't really know much about it.  Just been sorting the components and watching some Let's Play videos.  Looks like it might be quite good.

Silent Disapproval Robot

A buddy came over this evening and we tried out the tutorial scenario for Mage Knight.  It was a lot of fun but I can see it dragging out with more than 3 players.  Tonne of down time between turns.  Looking forward to taking a crack at the more complex scenarios next week.

BanzaiCat

I haven't tried Mage Knight, but I have Star Trek Frontiers, which is supposed to be Mage Knight but with a ST wrapper.

bbmike

Yeah, I have Star Trek Frontiers as well. I've looked at the rules and put it away as the rulebook looks a lot like my Calculus I textbook.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

I have Frontiers as well. The rule book is verbose and some of the actions are a bit complicated... at first.

Go through the example game play with all the pieces out. It's actually not that hard a game, but there are a lot of moving pieces.

I've only played it once and found it kind of meh... by that maybe because I'm not really a dungeon crawler... But I need to get it on the table again to give it a fair chance.

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you play competitively, it isn't really a dungeon crawl.  It turns into a hand optimization, area movement blocking, initiative bidding points-salad style game with dick moves and hurt feelings.   

So there's that....

Silent Disapproval Robot

I kickstarted this what feels like ages ago.  The games finally arrived today.  Love the artwork and the production values are great but I'm not really feeling any desire to play either right now.  Kinda turned off engine optimization games these days.

BanzaiCat

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus