Non-Wargames on your table right now

Started by bayonetbrant, June 20, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Near the end of round 7 we have our first act of violence in the galaxy.  The yellow player attempted to sabotage green's command orders by playing an action card to delete one of green's orders.  Green in turn played an action card which stopped yellow's attempt ending yellow's phase.  Next up, green played a 'plague' action card to take out some of yellow's infantry.  They rolled two 5's (needed 6 or less to succeed) and took out two infantry units.  The stage is now set for war between these two powers!

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jamus34

No pictures but I ran 2 solo runs of Feast for Odin the past week.

first game was a pretty abysmal 53; second game a much more respectable 86.
Insert witty comment here.

BanzaiCat

I got Star Wars: Outer Rim to the table a couple of weekends ago. I played Lando versus the bot/AI's Han Solo, and had my thrusters handed to me (lost 10-5). Solo has a huge advantage in movement though so I need to try it again as a different character and with a different AI opponent.

airboy

This year I've had (in order):

1] Mansions of Madness

2] Buffy the Vampire Slayer

and currently
3] Big Trouble in Little China

My wife played 1 & 2 with me.  I'm learning Big Trouble in Little China but got hung up on home issues for a bit.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: airboy on August 21, 2019, 09:27:23 PM
and currently

My wife played 1 & 2 with me.  I'm learning Big Trouble in Little China but got hung up on home issues for a bit.

Let me know what you think. I have had this for a couple of months without playing it (big surprise, I know!). I've heard very few, if any, negative comments about the game, but then again most of those gushing over it are admitted fanbois of the film (which is fantastic, by the way).

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 22, 2019, 08:44:26 AM
Quote from: airboy on August 21, 2019, 09:27:23 PM
and currently

Let me know what you think. I have had this for a couple of months without playing it (big surprise, I know!). I've heard very few, if any, negative comments about the game, but then again most of those gushing over it are admitted fanbois of the film (which is fantastic, by the way).

Played one game with a buddy.  We definitely enjoyed it.

The game required enough group planning, and was a close-run thing for a good stretch.  Plus the little narrative stuff added some extra flavor.

The carryover to the finale stage was pretty cool, too.  I recall we offed one of the three storms (Thunder?) so he wasn't in the final climactic part post-board flip.  Yet each of them will still have some negative effect on you, even if you don't have to fight them along with the others at the end.  In our case, the final map board was flooded with water which hampered our movement and made us really have to cooperatively strategize to achieve the win conditions.

Definitely gonna be playing more in the future, and the minis went on my "to paint" list.  O0

BanzaiCat

Yeah, that Lightning character mini is pretty badass. 

:dreamer:

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 23, 2019, 11:45:39 AM
Yeah, that Lightning character mini is pretty badass. 

:dreamer:

The minis in BTiLC are good.  Should be fun painting those since they're a change from my usual fantasy and sci-fi stuff.

Although, after seeing the horde of minis in my recently acquired Hellboy KS edition board game, I'm leaning towards doing those earlier.  Big and quite clean looking molds.  Good shit.  \m/

airboy

The mini's are all very nice.  They also come with a foam tray specific to each mini with a picture overlay so you know which piece goes where.

Not going to paint them though.

Nefaro

Did some Darkest Night 2nd Edition a couple days ago, solitaire.

Although I lost my first game or two of 1st Edition years ago, I seem to have the winning method down now.  Won the last two games of 1st edition, and now my first of 2nd edition.  May have to ramp up the difficulty a bit next time.

jamus34

Waiting on my copy of Too Many Bones to arrive.

Also looking to run Tapestry solo.

Tough being in a house where either kids aren't into games or are not old enough.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

We will play another scenario of Secrets of the Lost Tomb.  Then I'm setting up Pacific Tide and perhaps either Legend or Streets of Arkham for Mansions of Madness.  This is driving me to set up two tables.

ArizonaTank

Planning to play 1960: The Making of a President with the wife this week.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: jamus34 on April 13, 2020, 09:12:14 AM
Waiting on my copy of Too Many Bones to arrive.

Great game.

Has been pretty brutal, the first couple games I've played, but I expect that from co-operative ones.   O0

The components are amazing, too.

Dug it so much after my first play, last year, that I ordered multiple expansions right afterward.

airboy

Too Many Bones is running $250 on Amazon.  For that you can get all of the Mansions of Madness material.