Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 05, 2018, 03:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looks like it might be an interesting game from Matrix/Slitherine...due third quarter this year.

owards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.

Julius Caesar, Shakespeare

Slitherine announces Aggressors: Ancient Rome - the new turn-based 4X strategy game that brings you back to the ancient world. A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavour, Aggressors lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the Mediterranean world. Choose Rome to conquer the Mare Nostrum, or Carthage and build an immortal trading empire. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world, changing the course of history, from Egypt to Athens and Sparta.

Watch the trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLMDSTZerng

Be like Gaius Marius, with his exceptional abilities in reforming Rome and its army. You can manage all aspects of your empire: war, trade, internal politics, diplomacy and cultural development. Rule your empire by managing its internal politics and developing its economy. Establish trade routes to reap wealth, ensure the loyalty of your citizens, manage demographics, technological research, internal reforms, and laws; the tools at your disposal are endless and seamlessly integrate with each other. But beware: citizens react to the current situation and they can move to other places when they are not happy.

Be like Caesar, with his unparalleled strategic genius.Experience the incredibly deep combat system, with each unit having its own abilities and traits, with terrain affecting the outcome in a meaningful way. Army morale and the supply system are crucial and need to be considered before any battle. You will need all your guile and strategic mastery to triumph on the battlefield. Vae victis!

Be like Hannibal, play your own way and surprise the enemy. Play on your strengths, beware of your weaknesses. The ancient world is brutal, for no mercy shall be given to the defeated. Twenty factions, from migrating barbarian tribes to advanced empires, which interact with each other through an extremely detailed diplomatic system. Make use of more than ten available diplomatic agreements, including the possibility of forming Federations and Confederations as well as affecting nations and provinces in your sphere of influence.

Believe us, you never played a 4X like Aggressors. Manage all aspects of your mighty empire with complete freedom: you can decide to start with an advanced nation surrounded by newer civilizations, or you can choose to start as a young tribe, ready to take on an older and decadent empire... or you can decide to completely randomize the map and play in a uniquely generated world. The choice is yours!Dive into Aggressor at your own pace: thanks to the tutorial and tool tips you can gradually explore all the options available to you.

Aggressors: Ancient Rome will be available on Steam and PC in Q3. The Beta is open now! Slitherine is looking for experienced players who want to test their abilities in Aggressors. Join up here!

Gusington

This looks solid...must explore more later. Thanks for posting!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

The geography is a bit troubling though.  I'm hoping that was a fantasy rather than an historical map of northern Egypt.  Most of the town locations are wrong.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

glen55

Quote from: Philippe on May 05, 2018, 11:52:27 AM
The geography is a bit troubling though.  I'm hoping that was a fantasy rather than an historical map of northern Egypt.  Most of the town locations are wrong.

It does say "you can decide to completely randomize the map and play in a uniquely generated world," so hopefully that is what we are looking at. I wouldn't expect Slitherine to totally screw the pooch in terms of ancient geography.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

fabius

Nice. Big eye on this one.

Hope it has enough depth.

Is it me or do turn based tend to offer a better AI than real-time...

SlitherineLtd

Quote from: Philippe on May 05, 2018, 11:52:27 AM

Hi Philippe.

The screenshots were taken in a game which had already started: in the Ancient Mediterranean scenario, there's a few starting cities then it's up to the player (or the AI) to build new cities. Players get to name them as they want (although they get suggested names), while the AI picks names depending on an algorithm.

When a new city is founded the game first checks if a city was already there and destroyed / abandoned, in that game: if so it'll pick that name.

If not, it looks for preset list of city names and their location. There is a small "bias" for that, so it can be shifted one or two tiles (because there were not so many cities to have a special name for each tile). If it cannot find even any preset names for that location, it randomly select a name from a stack of free city names.

For example - the city Bononia is not at the exact same location but it is in the range or 1-2 tiles so it was picked.

Of course the system is still being tweaked as is the geography of the map. All these little touches will be refined during the Beta.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

I really like the look  of this. :smitten:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Anguille

Looks great...will follow this closely.  :bd:

WallysWorld

Release date set:  "Aggressors: Ancient Rome will be out on August 30th!"

Slitherine forum announcement  with Twitch session scheduled for August 2nd.

Looks pretty good.

Aggressors: Ancient Rome

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

That's a true release, not an early access release?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Surtur

Hi guys,

I am currently working as an external producer on the title. Yes, it will be the full release, not early access. The game will have a historical campaign, random world generation and a map editor, so plenty of content to play around with ^^ Having said that, with these types of games there is always so much more that can be added, so expect your share of post release updates.

It truly is a labour of love by the developer from Kubat Software. It is quite unique and it requires you to think differently from most games.

Edit: Please let me know if I can answer any questions. We are also doing a stream later this week to show the game
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Gusington

Thanks Surtur, looking forward to this.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Anxiously awaiting Grog-Opinions.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.