"Look Who's Back"

Started by BanzaiCat, April 16, 2016, 09:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I'm...just...um...going to lay this down here, and let y'all have fun.

Oh...and it's on Netflix, btw.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Does Putin know that he's back?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

I'm confused. Is this like a Borat type of thing, where this guy wanders around pretending to be Hitler to get reactions?

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 17, 2016, 04:58:38 PM
I'm confused. Is this like a Borat type of thing, where this guy wanders around pretending to be Hitler to get reactions?

No. It's based on the book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Who's_Back

BanzaiCat

Initially I thought exactly that, AB - that it was a Borat thing. I imagine it smacks of it at times. For example, at the beginning, he wakes up (I won't tell you how, but I laughed), and wanders around to the Brandenburg Gate. There were a lot of people with their phones out filming him as he staggered around in his Hitler overcoat and uniform. With the cameras around him I imagine they knew what was up, but the thing that got me was that his uniform was pretty dead on all the way down to the swastikas in the wreath that the stylized eagle is clutching.

I thought surely they had to have jumped through some government hoops to get permission to do that in public.

Some of the round-table discussions felt like they were done by people that were not actors. Some of the dirty looks 'Hitler' got were definitely NOT acts...there were some pissed people looking on. Still...the fact that this book was such a bestseller, and this comes out at a time when a lot of people are sick of the immigration...it's not really a total surprise that this is so popular.

I've not seen all of it - it's fairly long - and it's...well, it's very funny, but VERY disturbing as well, considering that it might well be possible that this is the environment that would be created in the wake of a Hitler reincarnation/awakening.

I'm taking it at face value, as a weird comedy. It's definitely entertaining and my hat's off to the Germans for having the huevos to do something like this.

GDS_Starfury

I watching it now.
so far I'd give it 3 out of 5 Star of Davids.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

I found it to be a cautionary story overall.  it definitely strikes a chord with the people involved with the discussions and the points made strike home.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 18, 2016, 11:04:00 PM
it definitely strikes a chord with the people involved with the discussions and the points made strike home.

This, yeah. Starts as a comedy and becomes something disturbing the closer to the end it gets. The ending was not entirely expected (finally power came back last night and I had a chance to finish watching it in fits and starts). I want to read the book now.