Decades Feeder Bracket - Wild Card 60s Week 6 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, February 19, 2018, 09:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

As you may have noticed throughout the Wild Card process, I kept some songs back from the yearly Feeders to use here.  Most of the time it was because I just had too many songs to use from that band that year.  But, occasionally, I would put forth a lesser, but still popular song, from that same band so I could use the better one here.  And now we've come to the end.  This is the last Bracket of new songs to vote on.  I thank you for every one who voted, whether it was once, or never missed a one or anywhere in between.  Thank you.  Hope you enjoy what I picked!  Have at!!

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

QuoteThis is the 8/9 matchup.  Please pick one.

8 Sloop John B - The Beach Boys

9 Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Should expect such cruelty from a Alabama/NY Yankee fan. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

bob48

Yep, Steelie, I agree. I have a few definite favourites there, but still some difficult choices.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on February 20, 2018, 08:06:55 AM
QuoteThis is the 8/9 matchup.  Please pick one.

8 Sloop John B - The Beach Boys

9 Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Should expect such cruelty from a Alabama/NY Yankee fan.

My pleasure :) :)

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 20, 2018, 09:13:02 AM
Sooooo many great songs.....

Quote from: bob48 on February 20, 2018, 01:53:34 PM
Yep, Steelie, I agree. I have a few definite favourites there, but still some difficult choices.

Glad you both like.  I know a lot of 60s music and it pains me a little when the 60s Brackets get so few votes.  I still have about ten pages of unused songs from the 60s.  A lot of it is not as well known nowadays and I never know what kind of influence music had on the members who vote.  B_C, by his own admission, doesn't know a lot of popular songs even from the time he was growing up, so, how can I expect everyone to be on the same page?  But I'm super glad you fellas liked what I put together here.  I thought it was pretty difficult to choose a winner for most of these matches.

trailrunner

I always liked Sweet Caroline, but lately it's become one of my favorites.  My daughters are around 30 years old, and go to a lot of weddings of their girl friends from high school and college.  If we knew the bride well when she was young and was a good friend of my daughter, my wife and I get invited.  These weddings are fun to go to.  The kids (the 20 somethings and 30 somethings) are having a good time, and so are the parents (my generation of 50 somethings and 60 somethings).  The moms (mine and my wife's generation) especially like to do some some shots and dance.  Usually about 11pm, the band or DJ will play Sweet Caroline, and all the ladies, who are by now a bit beyond tipsy, get out on the dance floor and have a great old time, especially when the chorus comes on.

"SO GOOD! - SO GOOD! - SO GOOD!"

MetalDog

I would love that song unequivocally except for one thing, the Red Sox have adopted it as their song.  That just ruins it for me  :(

Emeraldlis

I love the song sweet Caroline too. It's almost impossible not to join in on the chorus, 'sweeeeet caroliiiiine, oh oh oh' ..... Just brilliant  <:-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

Who do you pull for in footy?  Now imagine 'Sweet Caroline,' as the song of their rival. 

Emeraldlis

Quote from: MetalDog on February 20, 2018, 09:22:56 PM
Who do you pull for in footy?  Now imagine 'Sweet Caroline,' as the song of their rival.

I know, it's painful  :hide: I wasn't having a go at you for not liking the song. Just saying that I like it and think it's catchy. I'm sure if Man City were chanting it at Man U, I'd feel differently  :-"  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

OJsDad

A few years ago, the high school kids would sing Sweet Caroline at the end of the 3rd quarter of basketball games. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Quote from: Emeraldlis on February 20, 2018, 09:34:38 PM

I know, it's painful  :hide: I wasn't having a go at you for not liking the song. Just saying that I like it and think it's catchy. I'm sure if Man City were chanting it at Man U, I'd feel differently  :-"  O0

You feel my pain exactly ;) :)

Emeraldlis

Quote from: MetalDog on February 20, 2018, 09:53:40 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on February 20, 2018, 09:34:38 PM

You feel my pain exactly ;) :)

I'm a sensitive soul like that  :)
Quote from: OJsDad on February 20, 2018, 09:52:21 PM
A few years ago, the high school kids would sing Sweet Caroline at the end of the 3rd quarter of basketball games. 

It seems like sports fans really like this song! I bet Neil Diamond wishes he could get royalties for everytime sweet Caroline gets sung at sporting events  ;D