Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

malize

Quote from: Erax on December 10, 2018, 07:22:37 PM
Tribune!

I propose Julius and Aurelius for Consuls.

I also propose a public agreement between the Militarists, Progressives, Populists and Aristocrats to: 1) Vote for this proposal, 2) propose and vote for an Aristocrat Censor this turn, and 3) That Censor not prosecute anyone in the aforementioned four factions this turn.

Agreed

JasonPratt

Okay, I've made sure the Frog knows y'all are staging a political coup here. ;)

You know for a fact that he's got at least one veto he could throw (from his PontMax, which recharges every new Senate Phase), so I've got to wait on processing your Contract (though I note its validity) until he declares whether he'll act or not.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Per private message, the Frog says Acilius the PontMax will veto this Consul Proposal.

The PM does not offer his own Proposal yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Erax throws a second Tribune (two cards left in his hand now), this one a normal Early Era trib.

This incidentally means, for anyone who wasn't in a position to know yet, that at least one of the Early Era tribunes was shuffled into at least one of the prior Era decks. So just because the Latin Era tribune was played, doesn't mean there aren't any more!

The new Proposal is Julius of the Militarists and Junius of the Populists for Consul.

The first term of the prior Contract being foiled means that all subsequent terms are no longer binding.

However Erax re-offers a new Contract with all the same terms except the replaced obligation to vote for these senators as Consuls.

Technically I'll have to have approval again by any Players who agree to be included in the Contract's automatic procession.

(Oh, and Erax correctly points out that 2 x 10 does not equal 40...  #:-) :pullhair: :notworthy: So the Republic actually has 206 Talents. This is why I should use a calculator for literally everything I do in math, even if it seems obviously simple. Math is not my strong suit.  :hide: )

malize

IncompetentIdiot

The position of the Aristocrats has not changed.

JasonPratt

Okay, catching up again after work. The Republic's actual Treasury total is fixed (206). I've deducted the proper amounts (4 from Aelius; 7 each from the Faction Treasuries of the Plutocrats and the Aristocrats) in the Sulp Persuasion attempt, and added 18 Talents to his card.

The new Contract remains valid with the new Consul proposal. I'll start processing the votes with what I've got so far. I fully expect Tripoli to agree to the new Contract offer but strictly speaking he hasn't done so yet, so I can't process his votes yet.

Votes for so far are 8 Progs; + 14 Poppies (I've double checked all the Pop gains and losses for Aurelius, and for Junius since he reset); + 14 Aristos (no activists because not top Influence) = 36.

There are still 43 potential votes against (including 4 extra Conservative activist votes), so I can't just call it a day without the Militarists kicking in. (Or one of the others for that matter: they're perfectly free to agree with the Proposal!)

Tripoli

JasonPratt

That'll pass the proposal then, unless one of the other two guys has a(nother) Tribune he wants to throw to veto it.

I'll let this run a little while longer to see if there's any counter-action and then proceed.

This introduces an unavoidable slowdown factor, since while I know whether or not other players have a Tribune which they may or may not use, it wouldn't be fair if I revealed that publicly -- which proceeding automatically with a vote's results, or waiting, might inadvertently reveal! There's also the question of allowing time for asynchronous play, since after all the whole point to this mode is to allow players to check in on the game according to their own schedule and see if they need to make any choices.

If anyone has suggestions on how to streamline this, let me know.

Relatedly, when players have tribunes, you should be thinking ahead to when you might or might not play them, and let me know privately so that when you aren't available I can try to assess the situation according to your protocols. No one can expect you to anticipate every circumstances of course! -- but anything you can anticipate ahead of time will be proportionately helpful.  O:-)

Ethel the Frog

I have no counteraction.  All hail the new consul and the new coalition. 

JasonPratt

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on December 11, 2018, 08:34:20 PM
I have no counteraction.  All hail the new consul and the new coalition. 

{unspoken qualifier} "...for now."  >:D

Junius and Julius will have to figure out between them who gets to take the Legions to go beat up on the 1st Samnite War, and who gets to be run the rest of this Turn's Senate. Each of them will get 5 Influence regardless: the new, full-game Influence for Consul election (and for the Censor coming up).

Speaking of, the next Mandatory Business will be to Propose and elect a Censor. Whichever Faction gets Roman Consul, you'll be obligated by Contract to Propose an Aristocrat senator, so you can't re-elect the new Claudius (though Censors can be re-elected each year.)

malize

Julius is the obvious field consul choice imo, my guy is basically only useful if at Rome and not really worth putting in charge of legions compared to militarist senators.

JasonPratt

This leads tangentially to a house rule or modification that I've been toying with in the back of my head.

I feel (and I use that word distinctly) that there should be at least some chance, or even perhaps a certainty, of Victorious commanders gaining a point of Mil skill for their Victory. Or maybe after any battle win or lose.

Currently the official rules don't allow for the idea of senators gaining experience and becoming more efficient after winning fights. That seems unrealistic.

But on the other hand, I can understand not gaining better logistic efficiency due to game balance, too.  :-\ (The Militarists would still have an advantage due to their knights providing better headquarter capability, as well as benefiting from the usual chance or certainty of experience gain.)

Also, there's kinnnnnnd of a mechanic in place for senators gaining experience, and that's Legion veterancy -- which has unlocked now with the Early Provincial Era, so whomever you send out to stomp the first Samnite War will not only pick up 1 Influence and 1 Pop (and maybe another Pop if a Populist is sent to do it  ^-^ ), but also the Legions will start turning Veteran. And veteran legions returning with a commander will have some special loyalty to that commander.

But then again, that loyalty only really applies, in a military sense, to situations of rebellion, whether against or in defense of the Republic. Otherwise veterans are available for every commander to use, even though loyal to a particular one.

While I'm at it, I'll also be testing a new optional rule concerning Vet training. In the main rules, Vet Legions hit harder but don't defend one whit better than normal Legions. I could think of four levels of improved defense for Vet Legions compared to normal Legions, and I couldn't decide which would be better for game balancing, so I set up a situation where a new Other Business option for the Senate has been added to pay a one-time fee (currently 10 Talents but that seems cheap, I may raise it progressively or absolutely) for each new level of Vet defense training. This would be something similar to the Marian reforms, which I noticed seems to be lacking as a game mechanic or event.  ???

Tripoli

The current proposal is to have the Julius of the militarists take all 10 legions, and, "open a can of whup-ass" on the Saminites in the 1st Saminite War.  I think that would be an auto-victory, as the minimum 3D roll is a 3 (10 legions +8 military-2 war strength)=16+3 die roll>18.