Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Ubercat, I think the mod indeed requires some editing to configure it. It has a few options for some sprites like the Heron/Phoenix for example.
I shall share my mods folder in my dropbox. Those who want to can copy it. Link will follow.

As for the slower game Airboy requested; its pretty simple to host so I will create a seperate thread for that game to see if maybe we can add more players there too.

Are we happy to start with the 5 of us on this one, Gents? Another option is to copy the first post over to the Dom3 community forum and I'll bet we will have 12+ players in no time.
But I think its more fun and cozy to keep it a Grognati affair for now?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 04, 2013, 01:30:35 PM
But I think its more fun and cozy to keep it a Grognati affair for now?

I would prefer it that way, to be honest. :)

undercovergeek

I'm good to go - I'm sure as long as were on cbm 1.94 were all good - reading up today the graphics mods are just personal to your machine and shouldn't upset any balances if you don't want them

Certainly for this game I'd like grogs - maybe unleash airboys slower one on the great unwashed? 

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 04, 2013, 01:59:52 PM
Certainly for this game I'd like grogs - maybe unleash airboys slower one on the great unwashed? 

I hope you're not implying that I wash!

undercovergeek

Yskonyn

Once Nefaro is in with a nation we can commence!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

You guys should probably get started without me. 

I haven't even messed with any mods yet, and haven't been in a hurry to mess with mod soup lately.   

Also.. shouldn't there be some kind of file check in the game's multiplayer side (for cheating purposes)?  If so, I'd wonder if the checksums encompassed all the game files and therefore having different gfx mods would be included in such a check.  Something to worry about.

JasonPratt

I'm working on the mod soup tonight; I've installed the game and it runs on Win8, so that part's okay. If I get it running by tomorrow I'll let y'all know, and volunteer for Nefaro's place.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, so far so good: I'm patched up to version 3.28 (should be automatically there for new buyers I guess?--but I bought back with version 3's initial release), and the program's mod list indicates the four mods are installed.

(For those having trouble installing the mods, just unzip them, or unrar them I guess, into the game's mod folder directly. Incidentally, does anyone know of a reliable free .rar tool for Win8? Win8pro handles zip files fine already, but spat upon the .rar file. I'm currently burning a free Winzip17 evaluation, but when that's done I'll be looking for a .rar tool again.)

Amusement -- this game, when the battle graphics are turned on "too high" along with showing grass, will still bring my new Falcon NW maxed out MachV to a 8fps stutter! Turning off grass, "too high" is not a problem, almost 60fps. I'm running high with grass turned on and other things maxed out.  8)

Next up, Llamathinging. Updated to add: that... was singularly unhelpful... I'll just have to follow people's lead.

Next up, choosing an EA faction and preeing a pretender. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 04, 2013, 07:04:44 PM
(For those having trouble installing the mods, just unzip them, or unrar them I guess, into the game's mod folder directly. Incidentally, does anyone know of a reliable free .rar tool for Win8? Win8pro handles zip files fine already, but spat upon the .rar file. I'm currently burning a free Winzip17 evaluation, but when that's done I'll be looking for a .rar tool again.)

I don't know about Windows 8, but both Zip Genius and 7Zip can handle RAR.

JasonPratt

7Zip seems to work fine in Win8Pro so far (or the 64-bit version does anyway). Thanks!

undercovergeek

You seem to have hit every roadblock I did jason, all mods good except the rar one, find winzip17, sorted - choose mods, turn everything to god level and see the fps crash to 8 - no idea!

What llamathingy did you do - have I missed something?

We all good to go?

JasonPratt

I was just trying to check how the Llamaserver (or whatever it's called) works. I guess I don't have to bother unless I'm hosting? (Which I'm not.)

I couldn't decide between the Arcs and the Vans (neither of whom I've played before), but since I'm also signing up for the slower game I'll play the Arcs (Arcoscephale) here and the Vans there.

What else do I need to do before we start? (I suppose I can create a pretender at my leisure before gamestart?)

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

No, I think everyone's still on board except for Nefaro, whose slot I usurped conveniently substituted for.

I'll be playing the Arcos for this game (a new faction for me). I'll be playing Vanheim for the 5-day-turnaround game (also a new faction for me). My pretenders will have the same name (alternate universe twins!  :D ) and will be similar yet also quite different (alternate universe different twins!  8) )

You may proceed to fear the coming of That Which If I Named It You Would Have A Hint On CounterDesigning Your Pretenders About! (Note: not actually named Twiini Ywhah Oc'Dypa, however. So don't get ideas.  ;) )