Tank Mechanic Simulator - Find tanks in the mud

Started by Destraex, February 23, 2020, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Got this game last night and had a quick play. You can fix tanks for other people and go out and search for tanks yourself on field trips. Eventually filling a museum I think.

A good bit of fun. However also a little rough around the edges in some regards.
The save feature is either not there or just auto, I have not really tried to save but did not see the option either. I believe they had some issues with cloud save and that got disabled.
Also stripping the engine does not allow for removing the components below the engine block. I mean you do not get to remove the cylinders or anything like that.
I don't think fixing things is that complex either. I just paid to outsource the fix and watched the numbers go to 100%. We will see what happens when I have to fix something myself.

It is enjoyable to pull the tanks apart in general though. There are a fair few tanks as well, unlike the aircraft mechanic game, which only had three on release. I think the tank one is worth the dosh.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Staggerwing

Looks interesting.

What tanks are included in the game? Is it mostly Sovs or is there a nice balance of different nations? What's the most exotic vehicle available to restore?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Con

It's not grog approved unless it includes a Bob Semple tank

JasonPratt

To be fair, the airplane mechanic game has a LOT more detail in the engine blocks etc. Also, it has a campaign (or is supposed to already, I hadn't gotten past the final tutorial mission) where you're expected to help in defending the Battle of Britain by keeping your pilot's craft up and flying.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Jason I need to get back and play more of Aircraft Simulator as well. I was really into the idea but never got back around to it. Did not get past the tigermoth really.

OK I finished restoring the PZIV ausf G. Unlocked the museum and the paint room and threw it into my museum. Which I should now generate monthly ticket revenue from. I have also been commissioned to fix and restore a panther. Which I don't think I will be able to keep because unlike the PanzerIV, I did not go and excavate it.

I encountered a very bad bug while restoring the PZIV G. Namely that I purchased rusted tracks to replace missing ones. The tracks kept telling me I was missing the parts even though I had them. A forum check confirmed that it's a common bug. The work around is to go to a different menu and have the computer buy all missing parts for you. THIS almost sent me broke as it purchased pre-restored and finished tracks. Now I have to claw my way back with my remaining money and hope I have enough to fix the panther. Their is a loan system in game though.... but heck I hate loans.

In addition you do not simply outsource repairs. You generally use a tool to clean rust off parts, then sand blast them, then put primer on, then paint the parts. After painting you can go to a paint room and put camo and markings on. Again. As far as I can see. The game does not offer the option to actually FIX anything thus far.

THere is also a way to fabricate your own parts and earn crafting skills to enable bigger and more complicated fabrication of parts.

There is something strangely satisfying though about pulling a tank apart and cleaning and painting it. I guess it is really like building a model and displaying it. By the way, you can also drive and shoot your restored vehicles if you have unlocked that part of the progression tree.

@Staggerwing, the last screenshot includes a list of possible parts I could have purchased and a list of vehicles that they could be for. I am guessing that this list is exhaustive for the vehicles available in game. You will note the lack of British vehicles in particular. The other major tank powers seem to be covered.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"